LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

$110 later, CEL is on again!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-10, 03:46 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default $110 later, CEL is on again!

Well... again, it hit 85 miles after the CEL was reset and the light came back on, again when at highway speed. I was so angry, I punched the gas for about 4 seconds.

After all of my power steering issues were finally solved, I decide to get the throttle body cleaned for $45 at the shop (had a hesitation)... this cleaning soon (next morning) tripped the CEL light. Ran code, showing it was the EGR (code 71), spent another $56 to have it cleaned at the shop... get the car back, now not only does it have a tapping sound at idle that sounds like a knock (which I am told it probably an exhaust leak at the EGR), and now the check engine light comes on AGAIN on my way home from work!

Has anyone every seriously considered taking a sledge hammer to their car? I am SERIOUSLY considering it. I have babied this car since day one... I am done with that now.

Sad part is I have this car sold and the person is coming next week to pick it up.... guess I will let them make me an offer and just get shed of this POS once and for all.

Thanks for all of the help over the years.
Old 01-14-10, 04:41 PM
3UZFTE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about your issues. I have an EGR valve up in Minneapolis, MN. that would would be happy to ship to you provided you paid the way for it.No promises as far as it being perfect operating condition, but it was build for my build. Let me know via PM if you are wanting it. Sorry again about your troubles, but with time you shall be happy again.
Old 01-14-10, 04:52 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Thanks 3UZ... I will keep that in mind... I am going out to check the code again to see if its showing "71" again and I will get back with ya. I will probably take it off of your hands... I am betting mine is just bad and I cant afford a new one.

Thanks again.
Old 01-14-10, 05:22 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Just came in and its code 71 again.

I wonder if its something the shop did? Strange they didnt tell me it could be bad instead of cleaning it.
Old 01-14-10, 08:41 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Check the EGR temp sensor.
Old 01-14-10, 09:56 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Thank you. Where is that located and how do you check it? Thanks.
Old 01-14-10, 11:16 PM
ClutchOne
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Not Daily Driven Cars

I feel your Pain. I bought my 93`LS400 to build for Show but my Hellaflush Fitment Money has been Spent on Engine Replacement Parts just to keep the Car Running as a Daily.

Now I cant sell the Car because I have spent 3 times the Kelly Blue Book in Repairs and there are Dummies in my Area that will Sell there LS400 for under 3 grand so the chances of me Selling mine is Not an Option.
So I just Park my LS400 an Daily a Honda.

Old LS400s are really not good Daily Driven Cars.
They are better Sunday Drivers/Weekend Cruisers.
Old 01-14-10, 11:58 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As I stated to you, for the millionth time, you need to also check the EGR system for cracks or tears in the line. If you put a vacuum hose to the inlet on top of the EGR valve while the engine is running, and the engine dies, then the EGR valve is good. A cleaning doesn't necessarily mean its a good EGR valve.

I have a crack on my VSC and it was very small, almost not noticeable. I fix it, and the CEL Code 71 went off and stayed off.
Old 01-15-10, 06:27 AM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Understand that I paid the SHOP $60 to do this.

I guess I will take the POS back.

Originally Posted by avalon42
As I stated to you, for the millionth time, you need to also check the EGR system for cracks or tears in the line. If you put a vacuum hose to the inlet on top of the EGR valve while the engine is running, and the engine dies, then the EGR valve is good. A cleaning doesn't necessarily mean its a good EGR valve.

I have a crack on my VSC and it was very small, almost not noticeable. I fix it, and the CEL Code 71 went off and stayed off.
Old 01-15-10, 09:07 AM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 91LS400LEX

Yup. Take it back to them.

And the car is not a POS. It is just a complicated piece of engineering that never ceases to amaze and educate me at the same time.
Old 01-15-10, 10:58 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 91LS400LEX

number one rule of buying ANY flagship car from ANY luxury manufacturer is to get one with a FULL maint. history.

dont blame the car if you didnt follow that.
Old 01-15-10, 04:34 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by avalon42
Yup. Take it back to them.

And the car is not a POS. It is just a complicated piece of engineering that never ceases to amaze and educate me at the same time.
I did on my lunch hour... he said it was the "bfi" valve and it was nothing to worry about. I dont know, I have never even heard of a BFI valve. He said whatever it was monitored the emissions control system. Hopefully this will not bother the new owner. He did tighten some hoses (again) to be sure and reset the system... maybe it will and all will be OK

True, its not a POS - most 2 year old cars would have many more problems, but I just get so upset sometimes because they are so complex and you sometimes cant get things figured out with them. For a 20 year old car it amazes me that everything still works. I guess someone will get it straightened out. Thanks

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
number one rule of buying ANY flagship car from ANY luxury manufacturer is to get one with a FULL maint. history.

dont blame the car if you didnt follow that.

Actually I have stacks of records / receipts and the car was a 1-owner car when I bought it. It just recently I had a major power steering issue that had me chasing one problem after another and it went on for months - THEN I finally get it fixed and working perfectly... then this happens and its like a puzzle all over again. Cant figure out these minor problems out and you cant get one straight answer, etc... its like the twilight zone.

Oh well. I have about 6 others still interested in it, CEL or not. I just wanted it fixed.

Thanks for all of the replies.
Old 01-16-10, 05:30 AM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

you know another reason why I dont think its an air leak, is because this did not happen until I had the throttle body cleaned...
Old 01-16-10, 09:22 AM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Is this what you are talking about??

Bi-Metallic Vacuum Switching Valve (BVSV), also called a
Thermo Vacuum Valve, or
Ported Vacuum Switch.

oem part #90925-05075

ACDelco 212-373
Old 01-16-10, 04:25 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by damon
Is this what you are talking about??

Bi-Metallic Vacuum Switching Valve (BVSV), also called a
Thermo Vacuum Valve, or
Ported Vacuum Switch.

oem part #90925-05075

ACDelco 212-373
Could be... the mechanic told my dad when he went to pick up the keys... he didnt tell me. Maybe he meant that, because I cant find a BFI valve.

I do know whatever it is its tripping the CEL with a code 71 and this didnt happen until I had the throttle body cleaned.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: $110 later, CEL is on again!