LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Learned my lesson, leave enough alone

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-08, 09:18 PM
Atl
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Learned my lesson, leave enough alone

So, my 99 LS is back after taking it back to the dealer for the idle being out of wack after the throttle induction carb clean. It zooms up to 1500 RPMs on cold start and idles a little below 750 while warm, and I can now feel the engine thru the pedals and seat now, I am SO not happy. Yes, I had them look at the engine mounts, and they said they were worn, but not shot, and if I wanted a smooth idle, $950.00 for 2 new mounts, thank you very much. Anyway an inde. shop said my idle sounded right, but god I should not gotten the damed throttle cleaned, oh well, it's done.:sad There is no way you could balance a bunch of wine glasses on my engine now. They also mentioned changing spark plugs, buy I am scared that would make no difference at all, except a $300.00 dent in my wallet.
I did get a GS as a loaner, and that was fun, very very nice car. But on another note, people have said the navi system in my car is outdated, and I'll have you know that this 2008 GS navi system could not find the major road near my home that has been there for at least 40+ years, my 9 year old, outdated, $5000.00 option navi system finds it just fine. I still look in shock when I see the price for it on the window sticker! What is $5000.00 in todays money anyway?? So, I am thru throwing $$ at this car for now, and am going to think long and hard about justifying spending money on new engine mounts. Still no idea why the idle is higher, engine vibration worse after getting the throttle squeaky clean. It does seem to run stronger though.

Frustrated,
ATL
Old 10-23-08, 10:28 PM
oarnura
Driver School Candidate

I don't have an answer for your problem. However, I do have a 1998 LS and feel the engine at low speeds below 40 mph while accelerating. I had an Indy mechanic check the vibrations on the gear selector and pedal and he said it was normal.

So from what you are saying the vibrations aren't normal? they are very slight.
Old 10-24-08, 12:47 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by oarnura
I don't have an answer for your problem. However, I do have a 1998 LS and feel the engine at low speeds below 40 mph while accelerating. I had an Indy mechanic check the vibrations on the gear selector and pedal and he said it was normal.

So from what you are saying the vibrations aren't normal? they are very slight.
replace the trans mount.
Old 10-24-08, 04:49 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

ATL, its possible that something got clogged up during the clean up. The cleaning solution is an oily substance that dissolves the carb build up, but of course it cannot clean it out completely. It is possible that some of this build up became sticky and is jamming your throttle body plate. I would remove that and have it cleaned manually, also I would manually clean the IAC valve, and replace the PCV valve. It is of course possible that your spark plags have fouled, and its an easy do it yourself job to replace them.
Old 10-24-08, 08:20 AM
Atl
Driver

Originally Posted by Och
ATL, its possible that something got clogged up during the clean up. The cleaning solution is an oily substance that dissolves the carb build up, but of course it cannot clean it out completely. It is possible that some of this build up became sticky and is jamming your throttle body plate. I would remove that and have it cleaned manually, also I would manually clean the IAC valve, and replace the PCV valve. It is of course possible that your spark plags have fouled, and its an easy do it yourself job to replace them.
Thank you for responding,
What is the IAC valve, and the PVC valve? What would you clean these valves with in order to not mess them up? Should I have someone else do this? I can do spark plugs, and manually clean the throttle body myself, but unsure on the other two valves.

Thank you again.
Old 10-24-08, 08:47 AM
jcrome04
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why in God's name would spark plugs EVER set you back $300??????????
Old 10-24-08, 09:43 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

pvc= http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/emission/pcv_valve.html
iac= http://www.lexls.com/images/tuneup/047.jpg (the round thing between the plug wire cover)

also, when i took my TB off...needed dire cleaning

Last edited by LiCelsior; 10-24-08 at 10:03 AM.
Old 10-24-08, 03:23 PM
jcrome04
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, what exactly is, and how does one clean the IAC?

I like to clean anything that I possibly can by myself.
Old 10-24-08, 04:02 PM
Atl
Driver

Originally Posted by jcrome04
Why in God's name would spark plugs EVER set you back $300??????????
I kid you not, $300.00 for 8 spark plugs (plugs and labor), no wires, nothing else. $950.00 for two engine mounts installed. $400.00 for two hood struts. All said with a straight face. And all prices are from the two major Lexus dealers in Atlanta. You do get a nice loaner, and Starbucks coffee, all you can drink!
Old 10-24-08, 04:05 PM
Atl
Driver

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
pvc= http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/emission/pcv_valve.html
iac= http://www.lexls.com/images/tuneup/047.jpg (the round thing between the plug wire cover)

also, when i took my TB off...needed dire cleaning

Yeah, that's pretty nasty. Looks like a two pack a day smoker, Lucky Strike unfiltered maybe ??
Old 10-24-08, 09:05 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

IAC = ilde air control valve, its right there in front of the engine. Very easy to remove (disconnect a few hoses and two or three bolts), and just clean it with carb cleaner.
Old 10-24-08, 10:46 PM
Bali26
Pole Position

Well just replace your sparks yourself then like I did. They charge what they do because they can.

And don't forget mechanics do make mistakes so probably it wasn't done properly.

If you were in Vancouver I would love to help you change your motor mounts. They are easy to do.
Old 10-25-08, 09:07 AM
Bradster
Lead Lap

Those dealers need to get drug tested
Old 10-25-08, 10:43 AM
Rocan
Pole Position

what a ripoff!

the only time i visit the mechanic is for my inspection sticker...

just do the work yourself. you save a lot of cash and can easily know the source of a problem later on in life.
Old 10-25-08, 11:03 AM
Dutch
Pole Position

heres for the pcv:
http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/emission/pcv_valve.html

plugs:
http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/ignition/sparkplugs.html

Quick Reply: Learned my lesson, leave enough alone