LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Trying to change the fuel sending unit in my '98 LS 400 and need help

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-08, 03:58 PM
eddievegas
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Trying to change the fuel sending unit in my '98 LS 400 and need help

Hello All,

I'm trying to replace the fuel sending unit (fuel sender gauge) and my research shows it is done so from the trunk by removing the cardboard like pieces thereby allowing easy access to the fuel tank.

Here's my problem: how do I remove the fiberboard that is in a vertical position towards the front of the trunk? It looks like it is held in place with rivet like things, but I'll be danged if I can figure out how to remove them.

Thanks,

Eddie

Last edited by eddievegas; 10-04-08 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10-04-08, 06:53 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by eddievegas
Hello All,

I'm trying to replace the fuel sending unit (fuel sender gauge) and my research shows it is done so from the trunk by removing the cardboard like pieces thereby allowing easy access to the fuel tank.

Here's my problem: how do I remove the fiberboard that is in a vertical position towards the front of the trunk? It looks like it is held in place with rivet like things, but I'll be danged if I can figure out how to remove them.

Thanks,

Eddie
I done this on my old 98, and my gauge became dead on accurate, and it helped solve my XXX since refuel issue with the 98's reseting for no reason.

Anyhow, you have to be very careful, as you must pull the covers up and towards the back of the car... there are small black hooks that snap into place. Take your time with it.

Also, make sure you have LESS then a half a tank!!!!!!! Otherwise it wont be pretty.

Other then that, be extremely careful taking out the bolts behind the sender unit, DONT USE POWER TOOLS of course.

Its a straight plug and play. Let us know if you have any issues. Just be careful with those covers, as i have broken a few clips in the process.
Old 10-04-08, 10:34 PM
eddievegas
Driver

Thanks for the info GRAND_LS4. I couldn't figure these fasteners out for anything and this helps a lot.

This is my first thing Sunday morning project and I'll post an update once I git-r-done.

Eddie
Old 10-06-08, 07:46 PM
eddievegas
Driver

Default Fllow on my fuel sender gauge (unit) repair...

Hello All,

Well this is done and it appears to have corrected my inaccurate fuel gauge problem. I'll need another couple refills before I know for sure and that could take months as my LS 400 is not my DD so I figured I'd post this update.

Here are a few tips and photo (I can only upload 1 pic for some reason) that might make it a little easier for the next person.

Tip 1: When you order the fuel sender gauge (FSG), it comes with a gasket. No need to order a separate one like I did. If all my mistakes only cost me three bucks, I’d be a lucky man.

Tip 2: The gray (top) and white (middle) connectors are easy to remove, but the clear-ish plastic (bottom) is a bit tougher. I found removing the gray and white, then the screws to remove the FSG from the tank seems easiest for the bottom piece. Use needle nose pliers to remove the clear plastic holder at the bottom of the FSG. Grasp it on each side and gently squeeze and pull and it will pop out.

The photo is the fiberboard that has to be removed to expose the fuel tank. Detach the trunk light before this piece. After removing the two plastic fasteners at the base of this piece (and the light), gently pull the piece towards the rear of the car and it will pop out. You may need to do one side at a time.

When reinstalling this piece make sure the clips are secured properly or the fiberboard will seem non rigid when in place.

Eddie
Attached Thumbnails Trying to change the fuel sending unit in my '98 LS 400 and need help-cimg9166.jpg