LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

battery/electrical problems??

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-08, 09:17 PM
gqr1c3boi
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery/electrical problems??

1. Okay so here's the deal, I went on a road trip from Oklahoma City to Dallas this past weekend. The trip down was fine, but as we were making the last stops is when the trouble started. I went to start the car, but it would crank or anything. The gauge lit up dimly and fluttered a bit but that's it. So I jumped it and it worked fine. Drove for about an hour stopped to fill up and get something to eat, same thing happened. Drove for another 3 hours, pulled in the garage, turned it off, pulled the key out, put it back in.. same thing. No response. Also, the steering wheel did not retract as it usually does when u take the key out nor did it come out when u put the key in. My guess is the battery, but we bought it brand new from Lexus 2 yrs ago. Any suggestions?

2. Another problem, as I was driving down the highway, the speedo needle started going crazy on me. It would go from 80 to 20 and back a few times, with no effect on my actual speed. While this was happening, the VSC light and warning, as well as the Loss of Traction light. Any suggestions?

3. AC issue here. Whenever I made it home and before I turned the car off, i switched on the AC (I turned it off near the end of problem 2 and that's when problem 2 went away), and the rpm's dropped a few hundred and went back to normal. The dash lights also went dim and fluttered but went back to normal. Also thinking this has something to do with the battery. Any suggestions?

4. After problem 1, the radio wasn't acting right. It kept going on and off by itself. After problem 2, whenever I would tap the brakes, the lights around the radio would go on and off and so would the headlights. Maybe a bad fuse? or relay some where? Any Suggestions?

i'm at a complete loss here, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Old 07-06-08, 09:38 PM
basketthis
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

may be bad starter causing the battery to not charge. or, bad cell in battery causing battery to not hold charge. could only be possibility of these two. unless it were an issue with your ground wire.
Old 07-06-08, 09:46 PM
gqr1c3boi
Driver

One very important point I forgot to mention, I charged the battery and the steering wheel would telescope and retract, etc. but would not start. So i'm guessing you're right.

Still unsure about the prorblems 2,3, and 4?

Last edited by gqr1c3boi; 07-06-08 at 09:50 PM.
Old 07-06-08, 09:58 PM
basketthis
Pole Position

after fixing the main components of the electrical system (alternator, battery) you shouldn't have these problems anymore. all the systems that you were having problems with require electrical power in some sense to operate properly.
Old 07-06-08, 10:01 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds like your alternator is shot and is not charging the battery anymore. Weird about your speedo needle going crazy, but the funny thing is, when I had my old Honda Civic, and its alternator was going bad, I would get a "BATTERY" light on the dahsboard and speedo needle would go crazy as well.
Old 07-06-08, 10:07 PM
gqr1c3boi
Driver

If it was the altenator, the car shouldn't even run should it? Because a few years ago, my altenator went out on my 4runner and i couldn't even drive it. It started and went about a mile, til the juice in the battery ran out.
Old 07-06-08, 10:10 PM
basketthis
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gqr1c3boi
If it was the altenator, the car shouldn't even run should it? Because a few years ago, my altenator went out on my 4runner and i couldn't even drive it. It started and went about a mile, til the juice in the battery ran out.
true. which leads me to believe it's probably your battery. i would still check the ground cables too!

p.s. i know i'm typing without caps. i tend to do this late a night when i get lazy... please excuse the inconsistency.
Old 07-06-08, 10:11 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Well, technically if its the alternator, the car shouldnt run, but maybe the alternator isn't completely shot and produced just enough juice to keep the car from stalling but not enough to charge the battery.

You can test your battery at autozone for like $5.00, just to be sure.
Old 07-06-08, 10:15 PM
basketthis
Pole Position

if you have a regular battery, pop off the caps. look at the liquid inside. if it's low, go to the grocery store. buy distilled water. fill up each hole individually. AND CAREFULLY!! replace caps. jump start (or charge battery alone). and, if the battery does not have a dead cell, it should charge and run fine from this point on...
if your fluid is up to par, i would try swapping the battery just to test. if it isn't the battery, take it back.
Old 07-06-08, 10:55 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The signs all point to an alternator which is just about shot.
Old 07-06-08, 10:57 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

just take the car to autozone/kragen/whatever to have them run a battery/alternator test...
Old 07-07-08, 02:32 AM
drifto808
Rookie

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
just take the car to autozone/kragen/whatever to have them run a battery/alternator test...
yea just get it tested..usually batteries last about 2-3year anyways..and i think the other problems are from your battery dieing out while your driving...
Old 07-07-08, 05:01 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by drifto808
yea just get it tested..usually batteries last about 2-3year anyways..and i think the other problems are from your battery dieing out while your driving...
No, batteries nowadays last 5-6 years, unless they start to leak.
Old 08-04-08, 09:59 PM
gqr1c3boi
Driver

hey guys,

I haven't had a chance to give an update, but I finally got a new battery to put in. It was free of charge since it was under Lexus warranty. Everything seems to be working fine now. Thanks for the input.

-David
Old 08-05-08, 01:03 AM
vborder
Lead Lap

Default Sorry for this....

Sorry to jack your thread, but i have a problem with my LS too Its a 91, so please can someone help me out! First problem was, when i start the car, nothing, the key just turns and i get nothing. Sometimes it clicks, so im thinking starter. Ok now, i go to charge the battery for about half hour, now the car starts to slowly, i mean slowly crank over... Still sometime when i turn key, it sometimes clicks but not turn over.. Another thing, why is my battery not charge, i just replace it. Ok im ahead of myslef, anyways. Sometimes a put key in and turn and i get no knid of lights or anything on. just like it haven't even start trying to start the car.. One time i had the car running then i had it sit for a week and then when i went to start it, i got nothing, but remember my battery is new.. I think im going to try to jump it, i will levae the cables on for about 15 mins and see if it will try to crank over... PLease help, do i need a new start and alternator?

Quick Reply: battery/electrical problems??