LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

newb needs help...how do i change the light bulbs on my 93 lexus LS 400

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-02, 12:04 AM
fongaroos
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newb needs help...how do i change the light bulbs on my 93 lexus LS 400

i just got some new PIAAs for my LS i was wondering how i change the bulbs...i have never done anything to my car except add gas so i need some pretty detailed instructions. i was workin on it tonite and i got the middle set of fog lights off...but then i have no idea how to remove the main light like the regular driving lights...if you guys have pics or a different site that can offer instructions please post...sanks so much in advance
Old 01-31-02, 01:29 AM
kreativ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you looked in your owner's manual yet? There's pretty detailed instructions in there.

Just an FYI from an automotive lights expert (not me):

PIAA SuperWhite bulbs are just overpriced junk: high-priced, short-lived, low-performance bulbs hyped as high-performance bulbs, and with the "nifty kewl" blue colouration.

Personally, I'd return them for a better bulb. If it's the "effect" you're going for, then you can get the same effect at a cheaper price from Philips (Bluevision) or Sylvania (SilverStar, CoolBlue). If you're after better light output, then you should get something like the Sylvania XtraVision.
Either way, you'll impress the hot Asian chicks at UCLA with your ride.

Search the google newsgroups for "daniel stern" and you'll get a lot of info on which bulbs are best, which bulbs suck, etc.

Don't get suckered in by hype, marketing, etc. Listen to the people who actually know.

Last edited by kreativ; 01-31-02 at 01:35 AM.
Old 01-31-02, 09:49 AM
fongaroos
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanx for the input
i checked my manual but it just had a listing of all the different bulb numbers under bulb replacement
maybe i need to look a little harder
i think there might be a separate section on how to actually do it and not just the numbers

as for the bulbs...they were a present so i dont really know what to say
ill let you guys know tho on how the end result turns out
i have only heard good stuff about PIAA tho...
however the short life is a recurring characteristic/ rumor about PIAAs...
so you might be right about that
umm other than that
if anyone else can please help me out with how to replace some headlight bulbs i could def use some help...

as for those HOT UCLA GIRLS...ohh mang...cant complain...
Old 01-31-02, 12:15 PM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by kreativ
Have you looked in your owner's manual yet? There's pretty detailed instructions in there.

Just an FYI from an automotive lights expert (not me):

PIAA SuperWhite bulbs are just overpriced junk: high-priced, short-lived, low-performance bulbs hyped as high-performance bulbs, and with the "nifty kewl" blue colouration.

Personally, I'd return them for a better bulb. If it's the "effect" you're going for, then you can get the same effect at a cheaper price from Philips (Bluevision) or Sylvania (SilverStar, CoolBlue). If you're after better light output, then you should get something like the Sylvania XtraVision.
Either way, you'll impress the hot Asian chicks at UCLA with your ride.

Search the google newsgroups for "daniel stern" and you'll get a lot of info on which bulbs are best, which bulbs suck, etc.

Don't get suckered in by hype, marketing, etc. Listen to the people who actually know.
I don't know what you are talking about.
My Piaas have been on the lexus for more then two years now and they are still as bright as they are when I just put them on.
I tried other bulbs and they don't come close to the Piaas in my opinion or lasted as long.
My $0.02
Old 01-31-02, 03:07 PM
kreativ
Advanced

Yah, the detailed step-by-step instructions are in the manual. I think it's in a section before the listing of bulb types.

It's a lot easier looking at the pictures than having someone try to describe it to you in words.

That's a pretty nice present...PIAA bulbs aren't cheap.

I don't have any first-hand knowledge of light bulbs, so I'm just reporting what I've read. PIAA probably has many types of bulbs.
Supposedly, some bulbs have decreased light output but because of the whiter color, gives the impression that they are brighter.

Anyways, searching the newsgroups through Google is a good way of learning the truth about many automotive products.
Old 02-15-02, 01:45 AM
BHC
Driver

Hi everyone,

I'm having the exact same problem as fongaroos. I wanna replace my exisiting headlight bulbs with new ones...but i HAVE NO IDEA HOW!! The manual does not say anything except "bring your car to the nearest lexus dealer to have them replaced."

I never bought the detailed maintenance/service manual either (its $100!!). So if any of you could please give me detailed instructions as to how to dissassemble the light assembly to replace the bulbs, I would GREATLY appreciate it! Or if you guys know of any internet sites that explain how with words or pictures, that would be AWESOME too!! thanks!!