LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

What can I do about my drivers' side headlight?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-08, 03:35 PM
1995LS400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What can I do about my drivers' side headlight?

When I bought the car it had a 1/8" to 3/16" size diameter hole in the lower right hand bottom part of the headlight. It probably happened because of a rock hitting it or something. Can I seal it with anything? I dont have any water or condensate inside, I just dont want to get any dirt or road debris in there.

BTW, why would Lexus put "glass" headlights on the LS anyway? My previous Acura, my parents Chrysler and Honda, and my sisters' Dodge all have plastic headlights. When they get scratched up or pitted you can just wet sand and polish to a smooth finish. With the Lexus you have to replace the whole unit if it cracks or breaks.

Is there any benefit to glass headlights? Do they allow more light to shine through or something? Help me out PureDrifter, you would know.
Old 02-15-08, 04:43 PM
hobojoe
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmmm dunno as far as i can tell my 91 has plastic which makes alota sense, sure there glass?
Old 02-15-08, 05:33 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

As for sealing it. A good clear epoxy should do the job, I would just be very liberal with it. The glass repair kits might work very well.

I plan on sealing one of mine soon, but just for temp until I can find someone selling a used 'inner' headlight (not sure what its called) -- What are those lights to the inside of your main headlights, but are still clear.. about 1/4th the size?

Last edited by Neofate; 02-16-08 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-15-08, 05:54 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

you guys are funny, all LS400 until 98 had GLASS headlight housings.

and no, theres no way to really FIX a broken/cracked headlight, but you can get used headlights relatively cheaply (especially used). look on www.car-part.com . epoxy would prolly keep out hte elements but for how long its unknown.

98-00 have plastic headlight housings.
Old 02-15-08, 06:46 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Plastic headlights can crack as well, especially that plastic headlights are a lot thinner than glass. Also plastic yellows and discolors, glass doesn't.

However, there are reasons why most, if not all cars today have plastic headlights. First of all most headlights today are clear, with built in reflector or projecter. It is very hard to make glass into a shape and keep it optically correct, especially when it's thick. It would be a very expensive procedure to do so, and it's a lot cheaper to do it in plastic. Also, with most headlights today being rather unique shapes, it is also easier and cheaper to do in plastic.

But to answer your question, you can use any clear silicone, or better yet, water clear silicone. You can get some water clear silicone from a local glass/mirror shop, especially if they make aquariums. You should apply some tape around the hole/crack, fill it with silicone, and immediately smooth it out with your finger, and remove the tape right away. Do it on a sunny day, and let it set for 24 hours, and it will seal your headlight for years to come.
Old 02-15-08, 06:54 PM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have an extra OEM glass housing if you want to pick it up. Just give me holla. It came off my 1995 LS400. But let me make sure its for the driver side.
Old 02-15-08, 08:42 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Also plastic yellows and discolors, glass doesn't.
The plastic does oxidize after time on the outsides, you just need to wetsand and buff. And the glass headlights can turn yellow after time, though its on the inside and comes from engine fume (oil) due to old seals.
Old 02-16-08, 06:12 PM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1995LS400
When I bought the car it had a 1/8" to 3/16" size diameter hole in the lower right hand bottom part of the headlight. It probably happened because of a rock hitting it or something. Can I seal it with anything? I dont have any water or condensate inside, I just dont want to get any dirt or road debris in there.

BTW, why would Lexus put "glass" headlights on the LS anyway? My previous Acura, my parents Chrysler and Honda, and my sisters' Dodge all have plastic headlights. When they get scratched up or pitted you can just wet sand and polish to a smooth finish. With the Lexus you have to replace the whole unit if it cracks or breaks.

Is there any benefit to glass headlights? Do they allow more light to shine through or something? Help me out PureDrifter, you would know.
Yokkieedokkieeee. i went into my garage and found the headlight housing. i have the correct one for you which is the driver side. if you want it im just a pm away. i have an extra one, because i replace both of mine brand new. cost me 800 bucks from the dealership >_<. i have a 1995 ls400 :]