LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS1 HID Conversion cutoff lines

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-08, 08:08 PM
dfkd
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Lightbulb LS1 HID Conversion cutoff lines

I recently converted to 5000K HID on my 94 LS and for the 2 months I've had the kit, I've been tweaking the shield on the bulb to try to achieve a respectable cutoff line. The light has always been great but I'd always been concerned about blinding other drivers (not to mention the terrible hotspots).

Using the aluminum tealight cups from Ikea (how's that for innovation) I've been testing different shapes, sizes and heights of the shielding that controls the light to create a low beam pattern in 9003(H4) headlights. The shield that came built on the bulb was pretty much useless because it was so small; it didn't even get as high as the chamber inside the bulb.

I think I've been able to get a pretty good cutoff line and a really even pattern out of these headlights now, so I wanted to get some comparison pics of the cutoff lines you guys have been getting after doing HID conversion on 1st gen LS400's.

So we're looking for pics taken at least 10 ft away from an untextured wall (as white as possible) just to see what kind off cutoff (or chaos) lines we're getting from these conversions.
Attached Thumbnails LS1 HID Conversion cutoff lines-100_0722.jpg  
Old 02-03-08, 08:09 PM
dfkd
Intermediate

And beam pattern (not the best image as the road is a little wet).
Attached Thumbnails LS1 HID Conversion cutoff lines-100_0726.jpg  
Old 02-03-08, 08:14 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

cool little mod u did. any DIY soon?
Old 02-03-08, 08:31 PM
dfkd
Intermediate

From this you can see the angle I had to create with the shield to control the light. In a standard bulb the shield allows the light to move outward parallel to the road.

***camera exposure adjusted*** (thus the really dim parking lights)
Attached Thumbnails LS1 HID Conversion cutoff lines-100_0741.jpg  

Last edited by dfkd; 02-03-08 at 08:46 PM.
Old 02-03-08, 10:04 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

interesting, but my concern would be that A-where is all the light that is being "deflected" going and B-that tea light thing wont overheat will it?
Old 02-03-08, 11:28 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

How exactly did you install these tealight cups? I'm getting my HID kit next week, and I'd like to know how to get that cut off line.
Old 02-04-08, 03:16 AM
dfkd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
interesting, but my concern would be that A-where is all the light that is being "deflected" going and B-that tea light thing wont overheat will it?
The augmented shield is quite reflective (shiny aluminum) so i'd figure most of it is being reflected into the top of the headlight anyway and should be headed to the road in the end.

The augmented shield has been in there for about 2 weeks now with constant use and hasnt had any melting or even discolouration. I took the bulb out a few times specifically to check for that.
Old 02-04-08, 03:23 AM
dfkd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Och
How exactly did you install these tealight cups? I'm getting my HID kit next week, and I'd like to know how to get that cut off line.
Pretty much, the strip of aluminum shielding is sitting between and held in place by the original, read "useless" shield, and the coated insulated wire that sends current to the top of the bulb. I set its thickness to fit snugly between the two. I guess this kinda does depend on the bulb that comes with your kit. From what I've seen, the shields they come with are not all the same.

As soon as I get a day that's not so bloody cold I'll pop the bulb out and get a shot of it.

Last edited by dfkd; 02-04-08 at 03:28 AM.
Old 03-02-08, 04:26 PM
dfkd
Intermediate

So I finally got a day where it's above freezing (albeit only 1 degree above) so I was able to take a few pics of my mini mod.

This one shows the bulb from above.
I laid a strip of the aluminum along the bottom to cover the tip of the bulb (which is painted in normal H4 bulbs).

I used a couple strips (for thickness) to cup the bulb chamber from the sides. What I noticed is that the shield has to go above the level of the chamber to really control the light.
Attached Thumbnails LS1 HID Conversion cutoff lines-100_0787.jpg  
Old 03-02-08, 04:27 PM
dfkd
Intermediate

This one shows the shielding from below.
You can see the useless shield the bulb came with.
Attached Thumbnails LS1 HID Conversion cutoff lines-100_0806.jpg  
Old 03-02-08, 04:41 PM
LS4forME
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just installed HIDs for my fogs. I used h3 bulbs which happen to fit my stock 90 ls h3c bulbs. Im still waiting for it to get dark so i can see what it looks like at night..
Old 03-02-08, 05:40 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

looks good, i do hope that the shield isnt touching the actual bulb, otherwise it will cause a point of heat in the glass leading to an eventual bulb failure.
Old 03-02-08, 05:58 PM
dfkd
Intermediate

No contact with the bulb anywhere. On the underside my shield is between the original shield and the covered wire that supplies power to the top of the bulb.

Last edited by dfkd; 03-03-08 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-02-08, 07:39 PM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dfkd
I recently converted to 5000K HID on my 94 LS and for the 2 months I've had the kit, I've been tweaking the shield on the bulb to try to achieve a respectable cutoff line. The light has always been great but I'd always been concerned about blinding other drivers (not to mention the terrible hotspots).

Using the aluminum tealight cups from Ikea (how's that for innovation) I've been testing different shapes, sizes and heights of the shielding that controls the light to create a low beam pattern in 9003(H4) headlights. The shield that came built on the bulb was pretty much useless because it was so small; it didn't even get as high as the chamber inside the bulb.

I think I've been able to get a pretty good cutoff line and a really even pattern out of these headlights now, so I wanted to get some comparison pics of the cutoff lines you guys have been getting after doing HID conversion on 1st gen LS400's.

So we're looking for pics taken at least 10 ft away from an untextured wall (as white as possible) just to see what kind off cutoff (or chaos) lines we're getting from these conversions.
Dude, mad respect for trying to make it work right and not blind people all over the place.
Old 03-03-08, 03:22 PM
nosechunks
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so is this a low beam only thing now? or do you still have high beams?

Quick Reply: LS1 HID Conversion cutoff lines