LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Navigation unit where ashtray is?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-08, 09:58 AM
treddekopp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Navigation unit where ashtray is?

Hello all, new to the forums, I have a 99 LS400 non-nav unit. Anyone ever heard or think of installing a navagational unit where the ashtray is. I am thinking of buying a garmin or any other type of nav unit with bluetooth capability. The dimensions where the ashtray was is roughtly 2.25" X 4.00". This is close to some of the units out there but I haven't been able to find one with those measurments. I want to be able to use the cigarette lighter as the power source and still be able to close the cover when not in use. Anyone done this or thought of it? Thanks in advance!
Old 01-07-08, 11:41 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by treddekopp
Hello all, new to the forums, I have a 99 LS400 non-nav unit. Anyone ever heard or think of installing a navagational unit where the ashtray is. I am thinking of buying a garmin or any other type of nav unit with bluetooth capability. The dimensions where the ashtray was is roughtly 2.25" X 4.00". This is close to some of the units out there but I haven't been able to find one with those measurments. I want to be able to use the cigarette lighter as the power source and still be able to close the cover when not in use. Anyone done this or thought of it? Thanks in advance!
Thought about it, but Im not sure it would work. a Navi that small would have to but put up on the dash because it might no have a good signal strength through the radio and dash. If you have something more expensive like a garmin, it can be placed anywhere in the vehicle and still maintain its signal, but they are also beasts compared the the size you are looking for.

The only thing I can think of is to take the ashtray out, but keep the cigarette lighter as a power source, and create some kind of fix for the Navi of your choice. If your a good DIYer then this shouldn't be too awefully hard.
Old 01-07-08, 05:43 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Mounting a nav as low as the ashtray could make it a little difficult to use.

Last summer I mounted a portable nav on a Pro-Fit bracket in my similar 2000 LS400 -- it has worked out very well and the nav operates at maximum satellite signal strength most of the time. It is positioned so that I can easily see it and the front seat passenger can use it -- way better than a windshield mount.

Several companies make AMPS adapters for Garmin navs that allow them to fit on brackets like the Pro-Fit that have the AMPS hole pattern. Here is an example: http://www.buildyourumpc.com/Garmin-...0-p/215165.htm

I bought a $5 extension cord at a discount store and hardwired it to the wire leading to the auxillary DC port in the console under the arm rest. If I was doing it today, I would use a piggyback fuse connector to pick up power from the fuse box under the dash -- way easier than splicing into a wire. I plugged the nav's power cord into the extension cord receptacle and hid most of the cord behind the console carpet and my phone console.
Attached Thumbnails Navigation unit where ashtray is?-gps-ideal-mounting-location-smaller.jpg