LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

need some help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-07, 08:07 PM
olddog
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default need some help.

tried searching but no solution there.
got a few questions for you LS guys.
1. A bulb in my taillight went out and was changed but the indicator/warning light in the instrument panel/guage still stays on. i checked all the bulbs and they light up. what could be wrong?

2. The lighting in my shifter indicator does not light up. that is the "P,R,D,2,1" beside the shifter don;t light up anymore. when its dark at night, i have to look in the instrument panel/guage to see where the gear is.i noticed before it stopped coming on, it would come on and off sometimes making me think maybe its not a bulb issue.Could the bulb be blown or is there a fuse blown? what else could be the culprit?

3. My side mirrors(both left and right) do not function/move. when i control them using the switch, nothing hapens, they don't move and it does not seem like the mechanism is moving either. i tried searching for a fuse in the user guide but couldn't find a fuse for the side mirror controller. Could the mechanism be broken or is there a fuse that i just can't find?

4. My antenna does not go up or down but i can hear the mechanism functioning. i ordered the replacement antenna mast already but can't seem to get the old one out. i followed insturctions on lexls.com and here but to no avail. here where am stuck: i took out the star screw thingy and tried the AM+Cd+ACC method expecting the antenna to come out. But it still stays rigid in place. do i have to unscrew anything else, take out entire antenna assembly or am i not just tugging hard enough? (the damn thing seems to be rigid though so i don't understand how many of you say it just slides out)

5. when driving the car and i make right turns, i sometimes hear a pop/clunk sound. What does anyone think it is? i know with the GS, it could be ball joints, but am not sure on the LS as i rarely am in the LS forums and rarely drive the car.

thanks for your input in advance.
olddog
Old 09-04-07, 08:28 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

1. There's still a bad bulb in the mix, you have to manually verify them one by one. While they might light up, there might be one with a loose filament that makes contact and then sometimes doesnt

2. The bulb is bad, there is no fuse directly associated for this light alone (its shared with all the night illumination.

3. Tough call, my guess is that the switch is bad or not connected. I'd go with a probe and see if there's an power going to the switch. If there is, either the contacts are old or the mirrors themselves are bad (I find the latter unlikely.

4. You'll have to take the whole antenna assembly out. Hopefully the motor hasn't seize, in which case, you'll need one of those too. That will definitely suck.

5. Sounds like ball joints or maybe the bushing on the upper control arms out.

I'm no expert...of course.

Originally Posted by olddog
tried searching but no solution there.
got a few questions for you LS guys.
1. A bulb in my taillight went out and was changed but the indicator/warning light in the instrument panel/guage still stays on. i checked all the bulbs and they light up. what could be wrong?

2. The lighting in my shifter indicator does not light up. that is the "P,R,D,2,1" beside the shifter don;t light up anymore. when its dark at night, i have to look in the instrument panel/guage to see where the gear is.i noticed before it stopped coming on, it would come on and off sometimes making me think maybe its not a bulb issue.Could the bulb be blown or is there a fuse blown? what else could be the culprit?

3. My side mirrors(both left and right) do not function/move. when i control them using the switch, nothing hapens, they don't move and it does not seem like the mechanism is moving either. i tried searching for a fuse in the user guide but couldn't find a fuse for the side mirror controller. Could the mechanism be broken or is there a fuse that i just can't find?

4. My antenna does not go up or down but i can hear the mechanism functioning. i ordered the replacement antenna mast already but can't seem to get the old one out. i followed insturctions on lexls.com and here but to no avail. here where am stuck: i took out the star screw thingy and tried the AM+Cd+ACC method expecting the antenna to come out. But it still stays rigid in place. do i have to unscrew anything else, take out entire antenna assembly or am i not just tugging hard enough? (the damn thing seems to be rigid though so i don't understand how many of you say it just slides out)

5. when driving the car and i make right turns, i sometimes hear a pop/clunk sound. What does anyone think it is? i know with the GS, it could be ball joints, but am not sure on the LS as i rarely am in the LS forums and rarely drive the car.

thanks for your input in advance.
olddog
Old 09-04-07, 09:13 PM
olddog
Pole Position

where do i verify power is going to the switch for the mirrors or where do i check to see if its plugged in?
Old 09-04-07, 09:23 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by olddog
where do i verify power is going to the switch for the mirrors or where do i check to see if its plugged in?
On the switch itself, you can run a probe. There should be constant power on one of the wires. Then you test with the switch depressed to find out which is right or left that would receive power to the motor.
Old 09-06-07, 06:42 AM
olddog
Pole Position

i read in some old thread that the sec horn fuse is associated with this feature.At the same time others say it isn't . am yet to check as am upstairs now but in the meantime does anybody have any idea which fuse is associate with movement/control of the side mirrors?
thanks
olddog
Old 09-06-07, 12:00 PM
olddog
Pole Position

I searched the owner guide for the sec horn fuse but found no fuse like that.
I also realized that my seat memory feature does not work. The power seats work but the memory don't.
So its the power mirrors and the seat memory that don't function.
Can someone please tell me which fuses control these features?
Help a fellow bro out
Thanks a lot
Old 09-06-07, 10:15 PM
olddog
Pole Position

i read a thread about how the seat memory button get corroded due to age and how tapping on it continuosly can wake it up. unbelieveable as it may sound, i did this(tapping steadily about 100times on the button) and it came to life. the passenger 2 button still does not function though.
And i still am unable to find the fuse controlling the power side mirrors.
anybody know what it is?
Old 09-07-07, 06:34 PM
olddog
Pole Position

wow,
so nobody has no idea which fuses controls the power side mirrors.
Or am i getting ignored cos of the GS in my sig?
i have a LS400 too you know
Old 09-07-07, 09:24 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

LOL, calm down bro. We would not ignore you just b/c you have that OTHER car in your sig. If I am not mistaken, the fuse box for the power mirrors and such is located under the driver side of the car under the steering wheel. You will have to contort yourself and reach up to get at it. Also check the fuse box under the hood on the driver side as well. I am on the road right now, so I cant get to my car to check for the exact location of the fuse. Essentially the locations of all the boxes are .
1.. interior, under the steering wheel
2... under the hood on driver side near battery
3.... behind the bumper under the driver side headlight (none of the accessory fuses there tho that you are talking about)

Lighting,, center console issue,,, bad bulb. No seperate fuse for this. works with the night illumination. Indicator on the dash, possibly a bad bulb somewhere in the mix still. Have someone turn on all the lights and step on the brake pedal while you check to verify that all are working. Could have 1 terminal gone out in an otherwise working bulb. Also check the wire harness on the left side hinge of the trunk. Pretty common for wire to get grounded and burn itself out. This will also throw an indicator from time to time. Last but not least,, check the bulbs in the rear deck. I know, should not have to be said,, but alot of people overlook this light when checking bulbs. That will also throw it. Hope this helps.
Old 07-21-10, 02:42 PM
agrawalr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I have a similar problem.. my center console lights (AC, stereo, gear shifter) will flash on for half a second when i switch my parking lights on, but then they go off.

Does that really mean all of the light bulbs in the center console need to be replaced...?
Old 07-21-10, 09:21 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like a relay is going bad. If they all needed to be replaced, they would not come on at all.