LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Using a Toyota dealer or independent garage to replace a timing belt and water pump

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-07, 07:59 AM
wkinley@gm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using a Toyota dealer or independent garage to replace a timing belt and water pump

This is a repost that got buried in another thread and wasn't answered. The previous post dealt with changing the TB on age rather than milage.

Lexus of Orlando quoted me a price of about $1150, don't remember the exact amount, but something like $700 for the TB & $450 for the water pump. Actually I thought it might be be more, but $450 for the water pump seems pricey, since the only labor would be going over the parts counter to get it...

What should I expect a Toyota dealer or independent garage to charge? I started to say the LS is significantly different than any Toyota, then I remembered their large trucks and SUVs have V8's too, so I guess their techs would be qualified to work on the V8. The techs at the Lexus dealer would have more experience though.

The car is a 1998 LS400 and has 64k miles. I will probably keep it several more years, and the TB will have to be changed at some point, so I guess it really doesn't matter if it is at 70k or 90k. I only drive the car about 7k miles a year, so it will be almost four years before it reaches 90k.
Old 07-16-07, 05:09 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Best way to find out is to call a Toyota dealer in which you may be taking the car into to be serviced. Important thing is to make sure that whatever Toyota dealer you take your car to, ask to make sure that they are certified to work on Lexus as well. The only reason I say this is because the 1UZFE engine is not common to Toyota and so not all of their techs are trained/qualified to work on them. Independant garages are going to be significantly lower than either a Toyota or Lexus dealer, however you have to find one that you trust to work on your car and not rip you off; and you take a great risk of finding one who does know know how to service the Lexus motor in which case more damage may occur. You basically have to do your homework if you choose to not deal with the dealerships. Toyota dealers will also be lower than the lexus dealer, as well. Best way to get an exact estimate is to make the call and ask questions.

To help you further, please use the advanced search function here, goto the LS forum, and throw in the key words timing belt, toyota dealer, etc... and you can read what some other members have had to say as to their experience.

Last edited by trukn1; 07-16-07 at 05:26 PM.
Old 07-16-07, 08:25 PM
wkinley@gm
Driver School Candidate

After posting, I did call a Toyota dealer in Leesburg FL, where I live, and they quoted $900, about $250 less than the Lexus dealer in Orlando. I didn't refer to the 1UZFE engine, but they said they had a tech that used to be a Lexus tech. That said, I don't know how good he is, but Toyota guarantees their work for 12 months. I need to check to see if the 1UZFE is the same V8 engine they use in their big SUV and Tundra trucks.
Old 07-16-07, 08:56 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The 1UZ is not the same v8 from their trucks, I know this for a fact. Most of their V8 trucks use the 3UZ(I think),, same one that the LX series uses. The 1UZ was an engine unique to Lexus (statred from a platform from the ground up) and was used by the LS series and the SC400's. The fact that they have a tech that used to be a Lexus tech would reassure me that he knows what he is doing. Find out his name and tell the dealership that he is the only person you want working on your car. You should be straight.
Old 07-16-07, 09:00 PM
wkinley@gm
Driver School Candidate

I checked Wikipedia and found that the following vehicles use the 2UZFE engine which has a cast iron rather than the all-alloy block, but like the 1UZFE it has aluminium DOHC cylinder heads, MFI fuel injection, 4 valves per cylinder with bucket tappets, one-piece cast camshafts, and a cast aluminium intake manifold.

I suppose that a tech qualified to work on this engine should be equally qualified to work on the 1UZFE.

2001-2005 Toyota Land Cruiser
2001-2005 Lexus LX 470
2001-2003 Toyota Tundra
2001-2003 Toyota Sequoia
Old 07-16-07, 09:30 PM
CO-LS400
Driver

My two cents. For $250 more I would go the the Lexus dealer.
Your car sounds like a gem.. Why risk it? Keep in mind at the dealer (Lexus) they do these changes all the time...

If it were a basic repair , belts, plugs, alternator I would go the the Toyota dealer to save a few bucks.. But for such a major and expensive service I would make the investment and go the the stealer. Plus for resale, the Lexus receipt will hold a bit more weight. My two cents.
Old 07-16-07, 10:04 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by CO-LS400
My two cents. For $250 more I would go the the Lexus dealer.
Your car sounds like a gem.. Why risk it? Keep in mind at the dealer (Lexus) they do these changes all the time...

If it were a basic repair , belts, plugs, alternator I would go the the Toyota dealer to save a few bucks.. But for such a major and expensive service I would make the investment and go the the stealer. Plus for resale, the Lexus receipt will hold a bit more weight. My two cents.
$250 is a decent bit of change and Toyota dealers warranty their work same as Lexus, personally id go independant but your call.

(ftr, i do 95% of the work for mine and my dad's LS myself...in my garage.....with hand tools)
Old 07-16-07, 10:15 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
(ftr, i do 95% of the work for mine and my dad's LS myself...in my garage.....with hand tools)
In other words, Pure's open for business.

So how much is that with the CL members discount?
Old 07-17-07, 01:05 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by avalon42
In other words, Pure's open for business.

So how much is that with the CL members discount?
lmao, ur in norcal or else id consider helping u out

hafta do timing on my dad's LS soon, he just hit 75k

should only take him another year or 2 at this rate
Old 07-17-07, 05:09 PM
JDMCelsior
Lead Lap

with some skills, tools and about 8 hours you can do it in the garage of your house. I did, with the help of my father in law. It was a tedious long process (learning curve), but at the end of the day, I felt pretty good about saving all that money and knowing what was really done to the car. Good luck and hope you can save some money. Take care!