LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Trasmission filter, 4 magnetic pieces.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-07, 06:38 PM
LexChamp
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trasmission filter, 4 magnetic pieces.

95 LS 173,000

Just changed the transmission filter and fluid. it was black as black. Inside the pan there 4 magnetic pieces. After I had done everything and everything was back together I noticed I had forgatten to put this 4 pieces back in the pan. What are the 4 magnetic pieces for and will the car have any prblems becuase they are not there.
Old 06-28-07, 06:44 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by LexChamp
95 LS 173,000

Just changed the transmission filter and fluid. it was black as black. Inside the pan there 4 magnetic pieces. After I had done everything and everything was back together I noticed I had forgatten to put this 4 pieces back in the pan. What are the 4 magnetic pieces for and will the car have any prblems becuase they are not there.
They are there to get the small bits of metal that gradually wear away in the tranny. Same reason for magnetic bolts with other fluids in the vehicle.

You really want them there as they keep the bits from going back in the tranny. Only once in my RX did I have an issue with some really silvery/pinkish flush that had bits in it. When I have ben draining my tranny I don't notice any bits in the fluid.

As far as if you want to put the magnets back in the tranny now, it depends when you are going to do your next change out.
Attached Thumbnails Trasmission filter, 4 magnetic pieces.-img_1683.jpg  
Old 06-30-07, 08:20 AM
LexChamp
Driver

I just did the trans fluid so, How long can I live without them. I talked to a few mechanis and they sasi the same thing you said. However, they told me the car should be fine and I should not wotty about. Then again, I am a firm believer that if it was there when you took it out, then put it back. Question, how often does the trans fluid needs to be change. and can I wait until the next change to pit the pieces back. Thanks.
Old 06-30-07, 09:39 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by LexChamp
I just did the trans fluid so, How long can I live without them. I talked to a few mechanis and they sasi the same thing you said. However, they told me the car should be fine and I should not wotty about. Then again, I am a firm believer that if it was there when you took it out, then put it back. Question, how often does the trans fluid needs to be change. and can I wait until the next change to pit the pieces back. Thanks.
That accumulation you see in my pan is at least 15K miles worth of use. That is the max time in which I change the fluid in my RX, but some transmissions go longer. My uncle and I work on vehicles and the max for any vehicle we work on is 25K miles, though some fluids and transmissions have been improving in that respect. If there really is STRONG accumulation in your fluid, it will turn a silvery/pinkish as I stated earlier.
Old 07-02-07, 07:58 PM
LexChamp
Driver

Default Still Leaking Trans fluid

I dont understand this car. I drained about a quart from the pan. Than I added a little bit while the car was running as requested. I had a mechanic check it after I drove the car in the highway and with the car running the dipstick was below the hot mark and just a little above the cold mark. he recommended me to add more fluid. I explained to him that it was leaking and I just drained about a quart. I took his advised and added another quart while the car was running, When we checked it again, the dipstick came to the hot mark, he said it was good now. However, I drove the car again and is still leaking like crazy. I dont know what to do.

Note: I may have tightened the pan gasket too much. the mechanic said it should not be too tight, becuase you may actually break the gasket. With that said, a troubling issue is the hot and cold indication of the fluid. Any assistance will be appreciated. Thanks
Old 07-02-07, 08:09 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Locating any and all leaks is key. I had a leak on mine and it turns out I didn't tighten the drain plug tight enough. The mechanic is right in your second paragraph. That gasket can get worn down over time (thinner) after tightening it and needs to be replaced. Sometimes it is a rubber material, sometimes a cork like material. Again, what you do next requires you to locate where the leak is...on the gasket, on the back of the tranny along the seal (a common place).
Old 07-03-07, 04:31 PM
LexChamp
Driver

Thanks, I'll have him take a look at it.
Old 07-03-07, 05:50 PM
mobilyte
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did you replace the gasket material? the gasket on the pan is not cork or rubber, they use the fipg (formed in place gasket) stuff. i'm not sure if it's similar to the silicone gasket (like caulking) material they sell at part stores. if you break that seal, you are supposed to clean both mating surfaces and reapply to the entire seating surface. it's the same goop used when replacing the water pump.
Old 07-05-07, 08:14 AM
LexChamp
Driver

95 LS 174,000

No, I did not. I simply used the rubber gasket that came with the filter. It actually shows in the tutorial LEXLS how to do it and it shows the rubber gasket being replace. I was on another forum and it says the same thing you said about resealing it with that stuff after you break the seal, which it was a real pain to break. Its probably leaking from that same gasket that was replace. Do you, or anybody knows what that seal is exactly, or something similar. I would hate to have problems with the transmission over something so simple.

The LexLS.com tutorials have great stuff as far as doing you own maintanance. However, I've noticed there little things like this that are missing and if you are not careful, you can end up spending a whole lot of $$$$ because you are trying to save a few bucks. Furthermore, there is alot of stuff in there that only pertains to 90-94 LS.