LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

hood shocks/struts from ebay

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-07, 07:04 PM
eerrrrr
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hood shocks/struts from ebay

my car didnt come with any hood shocks/struts so i ordered some on ebay. the auction said its for 90-94's. i have a 92. got the shocks and installed. problem is they r tooooooo damn strong. cant close the hood without lots of pressure. and it doesnt close all the way. it kinda bows. i got scared that i might have messed up the hood, so i took off the shocks/struts and closed the hood. went right back to normal. so i was just wondering if i need to prep them somehow or do something???? i tried manually pushing them in but still they dont budge. for some reason they only go in when installed on hood. anyone have same problem with the hood shocks on ebay?
Old 06-12-07, 09:19 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

left and right sides on the 89-94 LS are different

maybe they sent u 95+ hood shocks?
Old 06-12-07, 09:20 PM
eerrrrr
Rookie

they r correct ones. i emailed the seller and he said its the correct ones. im not sure if im supposed to "break them in" or not
Old 06-12-07, 10:27 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine were quite strong when I installed mine (bought them off eBay also). Not sure if they are the same ones, but they do wear in a bit. Your hood shouldn't bow.
Old 06-12-07, 10:28 PM
eerrrrr
Rookie

ooo but it does. found some paint crack chips where it cracked. and ive only tried closing it once.
Old 06-13-07, 04:26 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

The problems with many of the aftermarket hood struts, including hood damage, have been documented in quite a few past threads on this and other forums.

Maybe some of the aftermarket struts work better than others but I don't remember anyone giving the name of a brand that works as well as OEM.

After reading all the posts about problems, I bought the last two sets of struts (for two different LS400s) on-line from a Lexus dealer at a healthy discount off list price.

Last edited by Kansas; 06-13-07 at 04:29 AM.
Old 06-13-07, 08:04 AM
Rice
Pole Position

Take one of them off.
One of those things will be strong enough to hold your hood up.
Old 06-13-07, 10:34 AM
eerrrrr
Rookie

yeah i tried one only, it holds, but when i close it, the side with the hood shock doesnt go down. it stays up because the shocks are too strong. however the other side with out the shock goes down and looks how it supposed to.
Old 06-13-07, 07:53 PM
psilosin
Rookie

I bought a pair of the stainless steel ones for 95+ thinking they were for 90-94. However the seller said the only diff was the mounting post so he just sent me the proper ones. Installation was frustrating trying to balance the hood on my head. They work great though once installed. Definately not strong enough to hold the hood up with just one so maybe these ssteel struts are slightly weaker than the normal black ones sold. No problem closing the hood, no noticable hood bowing. Can't complain for $50...and they look swank all chromey!

Not sure if this is against forum policy but I got mine from Ebay Seller Fit Engineering. [Mods can edit that out if its taboo to name sellers].
Old 06-14-07, 09:01 AM
lexusnutt
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Take 'em off. Buy OEM.

No sense in ruining your hood/paint for a couple of bucks.

Or get a stick to hold up the hood!!!
Old 06-14-07, 09:51 AM
eerrrrr
Rookie

yeah im looking around for oem ones from ppl that r parting their car out. ill prolly try out TAP in sac. f these gay ****s. ill try to get a refund but its ebay so they make the price low and make it up from shipping so ill prolly get like 20 bucks back IF i do ask for a refund.
Old 06-14-07, 01:37 PM
denverdog
Pole Position

mine were completely shot and i bought replacements from a guy in golden colorado. hey, i support local business! I do not remember the brand, but they worked fine without this problem of being super strong i keep reading about. look for golden colorado as the location of the seller.

and no, i do not know the seller.
Old 06-14-07, 02:54 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

What about Trunk struts has anybody found any ?
Old 06-14-07, 02:56 PM
eerrrrr
Rookie

i dont think i have trunk shocks?? im not sure. all i see is the metal latches/hinges thingies. i would need a pic to see. or maybe my year didnt have them.
Old 06-17-07, 05:07 AM
Hit Man X
Driver

Thumbs up

I scored mine from ebay, sure they're strong but beats holding the hood up with my skull.

Quick Reply: hood shocks/struts from ebay