LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Refurbished Power Steering Pump - QUESTION...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-07, 03:43 PM
Blaizze
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Long To Diagnose Power Steering Pump Leak Problem?

After reading through countless threads on this, and reading the replies in this thread, I have decided that before I install this pump, I will check everything that could possibly be leaking with regards to the problem... Please read this post if you can help me with this:

Thanks ... what I am planning on doing now is having my mechanic look over the car, check to see if any fluid is leaking on the Alternator or to see if it is simply leaking from the hoses.

Because I DO NOT hear any whining noises from the car at all, and the power steering is still easy to turn, have not even filled the fluid up... will check the levels this afternoon.

I also have not noticed any white smoke coming from the engine at startup..

When I had the dealership check the car out, they stated that it had not soiled the Alternator yet, but that was a few weeks ago now...

Does anybody know how long it should take my mechanic to do the following checks on the vehicle?

Thanks for all the help - I have read countless threads on this now and cannot find a time estimate.

Original Post:

I had my car checked out at Lexus and they stated that the Power Steering Pump was leaking... I called around and have found a refurbished pump for about 340 dollars after taxes.....

Is this all I will need to install this? I have a mechanic that can do it and want to make sure that this is all thats needed.... Lexus quoted a very high price for a new one and labor..

I am getting a "Power Steering Pump with Reservoir"

Thanks for the help

Last edited by Blaizze; 04-22-07 at 01:48 PM.
Old 04-20-07, 05:05 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Who are you getting the re-manufactured pump from?
I've had enough issues with the "lifetime" guaranteed parts to avoid them. If Toyota in KY or TN has rebuilt it...no worries. The other stuff IMO.

On an A/C compressor, the Toyota technician opened it up for me...wrong sized O-rings, low spec bearings, marred surfaces that a gasket would be placed...bad news all around. No wonder it failed he told me...it was a POS.
Old 04-20-07, 07:53 PM
Blaizze
Driver School Candidate

It's from Lordco.. they ordered it in from their supplier...

I was reading about a high pressure hose as well... was curious if that was necessary or not....

They have a one year guarantee on the part
Old 04-20-07, 10:34 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hold on, you may not have to spend all of that money on a new pump, are you sure it is gone completely bad??? Power steering pump leak is a common problem on the LS and in some of the threads I have read through search feature it can be cleared with a small part called Idle Air Valve. Cost about $100 from the dealership and may just save you some money. You may want to try the search features before you spend a whole lot of money, throwing parts at the car.
Old 04-20-07, 10:51 PM
JDMCelsior
Lead Lap

Why don't you just buy the re-build kit and have your mechanic re-build it for you? Rebuild kit = $40 + labor = less than $340 + labor.

My 2 cents...
Old 04-21-07, 04:45 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Originally Posted by JDMCelsior
Why don't you just buy the re-build kit and have your mechanic re-build it for you? Rebuild kit = $40 + labor = less than $340 + labor.

My 2 cents...
Rebuild kit does not incude the Idle air valve, which in most cases is what is leaking. I had mine rebuilt this way and am still leaking b/c the valve wasnt changed. Agree to rebuild the pump itself, that way you know it is done but you may still have a problem, even after rebuild, if the idle air valve is not replaced. I think there is a stickied thread at the top of the page "Power Steering Bible" and there have been many discussions concerning the leaky power steering in the LS.
Old 04-21-07, 06:03 PM
JDMCelsior
Lead Lap

I totally agree, but he's talking about buying a new pump.
Old 04-22-07, 11:07 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

true, i knew he was talking of buying anew pump. Just trying to save him a little money, if possible. Especially since in most cases the valve is the only thing causing the leak. I just didnt want him to think that the re-build kit alone would stop the problem. It might,, It might not. Wanted to let him know what some of his options were.
Old 04-22-07, 01:44 PM
Blaizze
Driver School Candidate

Thanks ... what I am planning on doing now is having my mechanic look over the car, check to see if any fluid is leaking on the Alternator or to see if it is simply leaking from the hoses.

Because I DO NOT hear any whining noises from the car at all, and the power steering is still easy to turn, have not even filled the fluid up... will check the levels this afternoon.

I also have not noticed any white smoke coming from the engine at startup..

When I had the dealership check the car out, they stated that it had not soiled the Alternator yet, but that was a few weeks ago now...

Does anybody know how long it should take my mechanic to do the following checks on the vehicle?

Thanks for all the help - I have read countless threads on this now and cannot find a time estimate.
Old 04-22-07, 02:55 PM
Blaizze
Driver School Candidate

Tried changing the thread title but I guess it didn't work... :/

Different question but don't want to create a new thread
Old 04-22-07, 03:03 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Blaizze
Tried changing the thread title but I guess it didn't work... :/

Different question but don't want to create a new thread
pm an admin to change the thread title
Old 04-22-07, 03:13 PM
Blaizze
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
pm an admin to change the thread title
Well hopefully somebody reads this and answers.. I don't want to bother them and it's not a difficult question..

How much did it cost you to hardwire your IPOD?

I'm using a cassette plug right now... which produces decent quality but it's clearly lacking..
Old 04-23-07, 03:15 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Blaizze
Well hopefully somebody reads this and answers.. I don't want to bother them and it's not a difficult question..

How much did it cost you to hardwire your IPOD?

I'm using a cassette plug right now... which produces decent quality but it's clearly lacking..
go into my thread in the audio forum

development cost in parts/bit/time() was around 150-175.

i can make them now for ~$40-50 in parts alone. (depending on if i buy in bulk, thas assuming i dont.)