LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Serious Help Needed!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-05, 11:38 PM
Celsior2K5
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Serious Help Needed!

Hey guys,

I was changing out my vacuum lines today in my 1991 LS 400 and replacing them with blue lines and everything came out successful except for one minor (or major) problem.

The picture below has a green circle around a turquoise looking part. It's plastic and has two prongs coming out of the sides with a vacuum line attached to each prong...as I was trying to pull the top vacuum line off the plastic prong snapped off inside of the vacuum line.

Here's a better view from the front of the 91 LS 400 engine...the part circled in green is where the top prong snapped off:

(image at bottom)

I have left the bottom prong vacuum line on it but the top prong vacuum line is disconnected right now and just sitting there. Nothing is happening to my car. Is this a major problem? What does this part do? That wouldn't happen to be some cover for my coolant temperature sensor would it?

Please help! And how can I get another one of that turquose plastic piece and how would I remove it to even replace it? It looks like a large nut is holding it down. I hope I have clarified myself enough. Sorry for any confusion. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

*NOTE: The pic isn't of my engine but it was all I could find to show you guys what piece I was talking about.
Attached Thumbnails Serious Help Needed!-timingbelt17.jpg  
Old 08-18-05, 07:14 AM
Celsior2K5
Driver

Exclamation Waiting...

still no help? waiting hopefully...
Old 08-18-05, 07:57 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The part refered to is Toyota's BVSV ...Bi-metal Vacuum Switching Valve. The nipples get old and brittle and snap off. It screws into the water jacket of the engine. Usually, it is an emissions control of some type the BVSV controls, allowing vacuum when the engine warms up. Since yours is already broken, it may be removed with a large deep-well socket. Installing the new one may require an open-end wrench and a little plumber's teflon paste on the threads. There is a special designed socket used if you replace them all the time.
Old 08-18-05, 08:31 AM
Celsior2K5
Driver

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Tammy
The part refered to is Toyota's BVSV ...Bi-metal Vacuum Switching Valve. The nipples get old and brittle and snap off. It screws into the water jacket of the engine. Usually, it is an emissions control of some type the BVSV controls, allowing vacuum when the engine warms up. Since yours is already broken, it may be removed with a large deep-well socket. Installing the new one may require an open-end wrench and a little plumber's teflon paste on the threads. There is a special designed socket used if you replace them all the time.

Thank you so much! Would you happen to know what size deep socket wrench I need to remove it? I've already got the part number for that BVSV....also, even though the vacuum lines on each of the two prongs/nipples are so small (looks like about a millimeter in diameter) can it still adversely affect my engine? Can my engine be destroyed if this is not fixed and will I not be able to make a 4 hour trip every two weeks? The only line disconnected is the top prong/nipple...the bottom prong/nipple is still connected to the vacuum line.