LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

power steering moan on '90 LS

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-05, 08:28 AM
phillipin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering moan on '90 LS

I dont think it is leaking, but i'll check the fluid level today at lunch time.

But when the wheel is turned about 30-40 degrees either way it will make a small moaning sound like a beached whale, its not loud but its noticable. For those of you who have had this problem and no leaking, please send me off in the right direction to start. Note its just a sound it doesnt really feel like it affects the steering ration or quality, i will still turn well at 130mph on the freeway

edit, this moan will only occur and low speed ie 25 mph or less at hard turn on the interchanges or off ramps at 40-80mph no moan at all

Last edited by phillipin; 07-13-05 at 08:39 AM.
Old 07-13-05, 08:45 AM
Lexicon1
Advanced

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Do a flush

My suggestion is that you do a flush on your system. And , within one week of driving, do it again.
If your system is sludgey, you risk loosening crud in the system. OR, you could take a turkey baster, remove the contents of the PS reservoir and replace with fresh PS fluid and do this over and over again until the color overall is fairly pink.
I have a Corolla that was moaning and did this and its still going strong at 180,000 miles.
Old 07-13-05, 08:49 AM
phillipin
Driver

coolness, yeah i dont think its an issue with the pump or anything, i dont have any leaks anywhere. I'll pickup some atf type 2, or would regular dextron 3 work fine.

I'll just turkey it out of the ps fill cap drive it around the block, turkey it out and repeat till its clean
Old 07-13-05, 10:29 AM
Lexicon1
Advanced

Default Baste it

The easier way would be to prop up both front wheels, make sure you are in Park and rear brake is on,
Start car, turn wheels from left to right, then baste that turkey! No need to drive it .

I dont recall what the correct ATF fluid is,
how many miles on your Lexus?
Old 07-13-05, 10:32 AM
playa3uhh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Same Thing

I had the same problem on my 94 LS400. I had to change the whole steering system (cost around $1000), but mine was probably a serious case. It still moans a little, but I know it's nothing serious since I changed the whole entire system. I agree with the basting. It's probably not that serious. Just my opinion. Hope this helped

--John
Old 07-13-05, 10:53 AM
phillipin
Driver

Well i went out on my lunch break, popped the hood. Checked the fluid, it is brown and looks damn old, the cold level was about 1/2 an inch below cold. So i went and picked up some atf base power steering fluid. I put some in accidently over filled it a little bit too much but its coming out anyways on friday. Drove the car around and the moaning kept down a bit more, not as loud and only seems to moan when i turn to the left now. So i think a fluid replacement is in order and will probably take car of the issue.
Old 07-13-05, 11:08 AM
Lexicon1
Advanced

Default If you want to make yourself miserable,

Search the old threads,
you will find a thread discribing a filter inside one of the hose fittings on the steering rack and pinion.
"Ideally" you would also want to remove and clean and replace it. I never have however.
A plugged screen will build up pressure.
Good Luck
Old 07-13-05, 11:21 AM
jmblimo
Pole Position

Check your fluid level. When mine gets down a hair, it starts that moaning sound. It goes away when I top the fluid off. I have to do this about twice a year.
Old 07-13-05, 11:30 AM
phillipin
Driver

Originally Posted by Lexicon1
The easier way would be to prop up both front wheels, make sure you are in Park and rear brake is on,
Start car, turn wheels from left to right, then baste that turkey! No need to drive it .

I dont recall what the correct ATF fluid is,
how many miles on your Lexus?

Yeah thanks i think i will put the car on the jack, my brother just picked up a set of race jacks and race stands, we can get the lex a foot off the ground in 3 pumps eac side.

I belive the atf type for p/s is type 2

i have about 149k miles on it
Old 07-13-05, 11:35 AM
phillipin
Driver

Originally Posted by jmblimo
Check your fluid level. When mine gets down a hair, it starts that moaning sound. It goes away when I top the fluid off. I have to do this about twice a year.

yeah when i saw the fluid level which was low and the color i figured thats what causing the moaning, im not leaking anything at all. so it must just be the dirty fluid that probably has been cooked to death. Im putting in an aftermarket tranny cooler, maybe time for a power steering cooler as well. Well just on my short drive after slightly overfilling it it moaned less so this friday when i'm putting in new rear brakes, tranny flush, new diff fluid, i can add power steering flush to that list hah

busy friday
Old 07-14-05, 02:41 PM
CUMan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You don't indicate what year your LS is.

The proper fluid for the power steering is Dexron III. After you add fluid to the proper line on the dipstick, you should crank the car and turn the steering wheel lock to lock a few times. This bleeds air from the power steering system. The entrapped air is what causes the moaning sound. One episode of bleeding may not get all the air, more may be required.

You state that you don't have a leak; however, the fluid level was low. This indicates (along with the moaning sound) that you have lost some fluid. If your LS model is generation one or two, you may have the very common "air control valve" leak. You can lose fluid through this valve without there being any indication of a leak. The fluid is pulled into the engine and burned.

This problem has been discussed numerous times. Do a search.
Old 07-14-05, 03:03 PM
phillipin
Driver

well considering the ps fluid hadnt been changed in over 60k miles and it was just a tad low im not worried, i know about leaks on the rack, the pump leaking, where to check the lines, the vavle to the manifold, the leaky solenoid, ive searched, i know, im just adding my person experiences with this to help further along the knowledge