LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

anyone else using power steering fluid

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-15, 01:49 PM
LsG86
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default anyone else using power steering fluid

First and for most I welcome ALL criticism, comments, and suggestions. I really like to see others opinions and thier point of views.

I recently replaced my PS pump and rack n pinion in my 97Ls. Instead if using atf type 3 like I been doing since I owned the vehicle, I refilled the system with Preston's fully synthetic power steering fluid for Asian cars, the bottle claims its for Lexus and Toyota, high and low mileage cars. So far I have no leaks, both pump and rack are dry, and my steering is very smooth and quite with no groaning sound when turning the wheel. Only a very very slight moan at low speeds less than 5 mph. Couple of questions. I do have a 91 L's and I plan to flush the PS system and refill with the same power steering fluid.
1. Anyone else using power steering fluid in their car? If so what brand or type? Post your results.

2. In 30k or 60k miles, when I'm do for a fluid change, what's the best atf to use? I like to experiment, and I might want to try using atf next time. I would prefer to use anything thats fully synthetic power steering fluid or atf.

3. How often do you change the PS fluid? Every 30k or 60k miles?
Lastly, the fluid is not cheap. I bought it at Walmart for 6.30 a bottle. It was this or super tech atf type 3 for 2.87¢ a bottle.
Old 03-06-15, 02:49 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

just to clarify you should be using DEXRON III atf in the power steering systems. Now since there are so many types out there, it will depends on your budget and brand preference. i like to use full synthetic in anything as they have been proven to less likely break down vs conventional oil (bobistheoilguy is a great site). even my brake fluid is synthetic as long as it meets DOT 3 standards, but that's another subject. i don't cheap out on fluids, not even gasoline. go with well know brands and you should be fine.

as for your decision to run PS fluid, only time will tell if it's detrimental to the system but since it was rebuilt probably using non-factory parts, it would not matter as the variables have changed.
Old 03-06-15, 11:15 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Good experiment just keep us all updated on any future problems.
Old 03-07-15, 06:24 AM
LsG86
Driver

Timmy makes some valid points, even tho my power steering is working completely fine, now I kinda wish I did use transmission fluid. I don't think its too late to switch, the power steering fluid only been in my car for about 1-2k mikes at most.

I really want to try that super tech trans fluid at Walmart the bottle says Dex lll on it and only cost 2.87 a bottle! Plus I already have a bottle in my trunk. I just don't want any leaks from the atf, that's my only concern, right now I have none from the pump or the rack.

So I in a few weeks or sooner, I will flush the system and fill it with super tech Dex lll fluid from Walmart and post my results. Unless someone suggest a better fluid to use. I know Mobil 1 is the best but I don't see it on shelves in stores.
Old 03-07-15, 02:04 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

It probably wouldn't hurt a thing if all the components where new, and the new stuff you wish to use was also used to assemble them with. But using the wrong stuff would confuse a new owner if you sold it.
Old 03-07-15, 04:55 PM
renchmonki
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just stick with the Dex III..any walmart or parts store has it..keep it simple.. lol
Old 03-07-15, 06:38 PM
LsG86
Driver

Originally Posted by dicer
It probably wouldn't hurt a thing if all the components where new, and the new stuff you wish to use was also used to assemble them with. But using the wrong stuff would confuse a new owner if you sold it.
Well I really don't plan on selling it, especially after all the work I put in to it. Imma drive this car until the wheels come off
Originally Posted by renchmonki
Just stick with the Dex III..any walmart or parts store has it..keep it simple.. lol
You're right simple is good. Im gonna flush & refill with super tech dex lll.
Old 03-07-15, 09:16 PM
k7q
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

i use PS fluid in my SC and LS. no problems.
Old 03-08-15, 10:09 AM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Since the P/S system is hydraulic, it would probably work fine with Gravy in it if you really wanted to run it.

As far as the bearing life and part longevity, that's anybodys guess.
Old 03-08-15, 02:52 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just FYI, you should really pay attention to the specified fluid recommended by the manufacturer, even in the PS system.

My Mom's old (but new at the time) 01 Audi Allroad requires a special and expensive PS fluid.
She took the car to Mr Lube one day for an oil change because the dealer was booked out for a week and she was already over the mileage interval. While there Mr Lube's oil-monkey up top decided to "top off her power steering fluid." 2 weeks later, the seals on the rack blew out and she lost all steering. Because it was a new car, the dealership replaced the rack despite never having a record of such a failure on any car across the planet. About 6 months later she took it to another Mr Lube for another oil change and they topped up the PS fluid again... a couple weeks later boom, the seals blew out again. Eventually they traced it back to the Mr Lube top-ups and the <100ml worth of fluid contaminating the system to the point of swelling the seals to have them blow out under cornering pressures lube.

Luckily the dealer stepped up and went after Mr Lube for my mom but on a car as old as ours, you are up **** creek.