LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Power window works then doesn't

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-05, 08:34 AM
tj90LS400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power window works then doesn't

I did a search but could not find a match for this problem.

Occasionally my driver's window will not acknowledge I'm pressing the button. Sometimes a punch to the door will make it work. Sometimes I just have to wait for some time to pass (10 mins or more). It is completely random. 90% of the time it works just fine. The speed is fine, it never goes slow. Never hear buzzing or any other noise. But sometimes it won't go up after i just put it down, and sometimes it won't go down when its up.

Once, when it wasn't functioning, I decided to pull the switches and give them a cleaning. I saw there was black soot on the switches so I gave them a little brushing with a toothbrush. I put it all back together and now the damn switch panel doesn't illuminate! *****!! Meanwhile, it didn't affect its performance. I pulled it again and boing! i broke the damn child lock out button. Great. I reassembled, still no window function. I let an hour pass, and went back to try it. It worked fine! I'm breaking stuff for nothing here!!!!

I have two camrys with this same problem, one driver and one passenger front. Most of the time works just fine, but occasionally requires a punch to the door to make it go. sometimes the punch (nor many punches) doesn't work either and i just have to wait.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

TJ
Old 07-05-05, 02:45 AM
reincheque
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tj90LS400
I did a search but could not find a match for this problem.

Occasionally my driver's window will not acknowledge I'm pressing the button. Sometimes a punch to the door will make it work. Sometimes I just have to wait for some time to pass (10 mins or more). It is completely random. 90% of the time it works just fine. The speed is fine, it never goes slow. Never hear buzzing or any other noise. But sometimes it won't go up after i just put it down, and sometimes it won't go down when its up.

Once, when it wasn't functioning, I decided to pull the switches and give them a cleaning. I saw there was black soot on the switches so I gave them a little brushing with a toothbrush. I put it all back together and now the damn switch panel doesn't illuminate! *****!! Meanwhile, it didn't affect its performance. I pulled it again and boing! i broke the damn child lock out button. Great. I reassembled, still no window function. I let an hour pass, and went back to try it. It worked fine! I'm breaking stuff for nothing here!!!!

I have two camrys with this same problem, one driver and one passenger front. Most of the time works just fine, but occasionally requires a punch to the door to make it go. sometimes the punch (nor many punches) doesn't work either and i just have to wait.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

TJ
Sounds like you need a new set of switches for your door, mate. Expensive to buy but a doddle to fit. I had to buy a new set of switches for my old 91 LS400 after the driver's window went down but wouldn't come back up.

Don't break anymore stuff...:-)

djp

HTML Code:
www.reincheque.com
Old 07-06-05, 02:28 PM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try cleaning the contacts with sandpaper instead of toothbrush. Sandpaper worked for me.
Old 07-06-05, 05:22 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

This happens in some instances. It is the arcing as the contacts build up a carbon deposit over time. You can clean them but by using an abrasive, this seems to increase more build-up over time and so you'll be cleaning the contacts more frequntly. (I had this scenario with two Maximas.) If you haven't used abrasive on the contacts try some of the electrical contact cleaners at the electronics store. This maintains a smooth surface and prevents within reason that build-up. Of course, YMMV.

The other is that after years of opening and closing, some of the wiring may be brittle and is not maintaining the circuit when connected. In that case, I'd buy a new switch. The master switch for my Maxima was like $280! but after I replaced it, it was good until we sold the car some 5 years later and that was about 80K miles of use.

Check that there is contunity during switch operation. If so, the problem is elsewhere.