LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Outside temp/ hear/ac display revisited

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-05, 12:47 PM
Greydog
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outside temp/ hear/ac display revisited

Hi All,

I posted earlier about a problem with both the outside temp/ clock and the heat/ac display being blank. I replaced a fuse and both came back to life.

Today the same thing happened. I found that the front cigarette lighter has come apart and I suspect the outside case of the lighter has shorted the connections causing the problem. (the lighter is on the same fuse). No one smokes, so I never noticed the lighter being broken.

As I discovered this while on an errand for work, I haven't tried taking the ashtray apart, but will probably try it tomorrow. Anything I should know about the ahstray removale before I break something?

Thanks for your help,

Greydog
Old 02-04-05, 02:58 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

What usually happens, is when you keep change or any small peice of metal in the ashtray, it may go into cig hole and short it out, causing the fuse to blow. Happend to me already in more then one car.

So check to see if any forign objects fell into the tray before taking it apart. Good luck.
Old 02-04-05, 05:18 PM
Greydog
Driver School Candidate

Hey Grand,

Yeah, well in my case the lighter is flopping loose with the outer collar (the part that holds it in) dangling and bouncing around behind the ashtray where, I suspect, it is causing a short across the termanals on the lighter "hot" side.

I did an "ashtray" search on this site on how to remove the ashtray, but i haven't had any luck in actually removing it.

I think my short term "fix" will be to tape the terminals, stuff everything back together, and call it good until I figure the removal thing out..

I am relieved that it isn't going to be a big $$ fix, and I apprieciate your input.

Thanks for your help,

Greydog
Old 02-05-05, 09:04 AM
hlovepenn
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To remove the ashtray, radio, etc., go to: http://www.carstereohelp.com/strlexus.htm and select your model of Lexus. They give complete instructions on removing the wood trim, ashtray, temp control, radio and AC vents. Good luck--I have done it on both the gen I and gen II LS400s and it's not hard. A flat instrument with a small hook on one end, like a SLIM JIM, which you can find at dollar stores, is real helpful on the vent removal.
Old 02-05-05, 04:05 PM
Greydog
Driver School Candidate

Hi Hlovepenn,

Exactly what i needed!!

I am going on vacation next week, but I am now prepared to go to town when I return.

Thanks so much for your help,

Greydog