LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

DAIZEN control arm bushings installed!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-03, 04:05 PM
Lvangundy

Default DAIZEN control arm bushings installed!

WOW! - total improvement over the stock worn out bushings.

Notes-

* The front end as a whole is much tighter - don't mistake this for uncomfortable. I'd actually say that driving on worn out stock bushings is more uncomfortable! Overall control of the car is a lot better than before.
* That 'feels like new' ride. Ever drive a new car and notice how repsonsive and soft the front end of the car is? All that is restored with these bushings.
* Improved braking feel. I'm not exactly sure why, but it probably has something to do with how much freeplay worn out bushings give the control arms. With the Daizen bushings that freeplay is eliminated allowing the suspention to operate correctly as if new.
* Better cornering and control (!!!) When turning the car goes where ever you want it to go.
* Overall stability. From the street to the freeway the doens't wobble or vibrate. At 110 it was really stable.
* SAFETY concern, the suspension goes beyond shocks and springs and must be maintained.

Anyway, I don't think some people really know how different the car drives. For the enthusiasts like us these are a must. To anyone who says they are too stiff, I don't see any valid reason since the majority of people are replacing OLD deteriorated bushings.

I don't really see any bad side to getting these awesome bushings, besides the compelxity of the job which may leave your mecahnic a little tired. :-)

Total cost : $600 at TM Engineering. $100 for the bushings and $500 for labor. Thanks to the guys over at TM, and just as important, Daizen for making such a great product.
Old 11-23-03, 04:18 PM
Pagong
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn labor cost is crazy!!!
Old 11-23-03, 05:22 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thx for review but labour is like whoa!
Old 11-23-03, 06:45 PM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Whoa, high labor cost! How many hours did it take them? This product comes with instructions right?
Old 11-24-03, 12:48 AM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just the replacement of the four arms alone calls for 10+ hours of work. I don't know where you can reference that $500 is too much for the labor. Tack on another 2 hours or so for the work to actually change the bushings.

If you were replacing the arms (which would be pretty much the only other alternative, the parts-only cost of the four arms is over $1500 and the "expensive" argument seems even more pointless.

Nothing on a car lasts forever, but luckily Lexus cars' parts usually last longer than pretty much any other car on the road. Just a fact of life and if that can't be dealt with, you'll just be putting around in a car that is falling apart.
Old 11-24-03, 09:20 AM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Knowing the amount of labor time puts it all into perspective. Now it sounds like you got a good deal .
Old 11-24-03, 09:32 AM
GA400
Lead Lap

Thanks for sharing your impressions, Lee. It sounds like these bushing do a great job replacing and probably far improving the oem components. I know the guys in the SC forum have been very impressed with these as well. One question, do you have any squeaking going over speed bumps?

Rich
Old 11-24-03, 04:23 PM
Ory-gun
Driver School Candidate

Is there something very unusual about the Lexus control arm bushings that makes the labor so intensive? Because I am pretty sure that Sears auto centers will replace control arm bushings for $75
Old 11-24-03, 04:37 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Off to Sears you go then! =)
Old 11-24-03, 05:51 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

hehehe
Old 11-25-03, 06:27 PM
clark
Driver School Candidate

I've replaced the upper control arm bushings with the Daizen bushings which was obviously needed.

Regarding the lower control arm bushing: did you follow the recommendation on the Daizen instructions on removing the OEM bushing by heating and melting the rubber from the metal of the original bushing or did you just press the rubber out without using heat?

Just got new bottom ball joints in and will replace both at the same time I do the lower control arms.
Old 11-28-03, 04:10 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

The heating is necessary because the original outer shells will need to remain in the arm for the bushings to fit properly...
Old 12-04-03, 01:49 PM
siniquezu
Lexus Champion

Hey Lee,
I thought you didn't like them at first Sweet mod huh? Worth every dollar.
Free bump to advertise Todd.

Last edited by siniquezu; 12-04-03 at 01:49 PM.
Old 12-07-03, 09:54 PM
tvd51
Driver

For any of you planning to install the bushings yourselves: You should know that the control arm is quite thin and you can easily damage or crack the arm while pressing the bushings. Be carefull.\
If you plan to have it installed at Lexus dealer, you need to make sure that the ball joints are still in good condition, because it's expensive if you have to do it again several months down the road. I guess that's why Lexus doesn't sell the bushings and the ball joint for the upper control arm separately.
tvd51
Old 12-08-03, 04:55 PM
dunn378
Pole Position

ive noticed that alot of people complain about the front and rear UPPER control arm bushings usually going bad, but i havent heard any complaints about the lower control arm bushings going bad. Of course if you buy the bushing set u would replace them reguardless if they are bad or not but has anyone come across or heard of the lower control arm bushings going bad?? thanks

Quick Reply: DAIZEN control arm bushings installed!