HID (First Time) Question! D:

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-13, 10:01 PM
SPLiFFY
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question HID (First Time) Question! D:

Herrow

I was going to post in the SC model forum but I believe this would be more appropriate. I have been lurking in this forum section for like an hour now just trying to soak in as much as I can about HIDs. Trust me, I don't want to be another one of those "teach me everything" because I know it gets annoying and I'd like to learn.

So I have a gold 95 SC300 and I was interested in getting HIDs. Now there is a place locally where my cousin is taking me to his normal HID guy. This is my first time getting HIDs and I have so many questions and I apologize if they are stupid..

Well, since my car is gold I figured it was best to get the 6k Bright White HIDs (if that is what you call them) so that it wouldn't look odd. It will be 95 bucks with the install and a 3 year warranty. Do you all think this is a good idea because they already ordered it for me.. I thought it was D: My cousin was trying to explain something about another ballast or something being cheaper and that I should spend 20 bucks more and get more quality lighting. IDK! I didn't understand but I will ask him again and let you all know.

Also I'd like to know about the whole "cut-off" line thing. I have seen others talking about leveling and stuff. Now does the HID place do that leveling thing when they install it? I mean to say, do they install the HIDs in such a way that they do not "blind" others or do you have to do that yourself? I don't get that. I guess I'm worry that I will affect others driving in front of me.

Okay so I live in Florida and I get pulled over a lot, many times they just bully me I have had a license for almost 2 years now and have been pulled over about 5 times already for stupid things. I hear people say back and forth that HIDs are legal and they aren't. I just wanted to know if I would get in trouble for having them or a ticket or something seeing as the police happen to love me here.

Also, I got kinda freaked out because I saw someone talking about "smelling something burning" D: How does that happen? Are HIDs dangerous or they catch fire or something from a bad install? This is serious question too!

Do you all think I made a good choice with pricing and warranty? This will be my first real mod to the car. Everything else was cosmetic. I'm sorry if my questions are stupid.

Thanks so much LOL DON'T LAUGH AT MEHHH!!!
Old 10-18-13, 02:39 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Cutoff does not have a real relationship to the HID kit because they are tied down to the projector/ lens design and how well they disperse the light.

Not sure about laws in your state, but in CA, if your car did not come with OEM HID, then it is technically illegal to install HID kits. Since standard halogen lights have reflector to make use of the lighting, the reflector will end up blinding other people when you pop in an HID bulb.

I just finised installing my HID Kit, but unfortunately, I had one bad ballast. They are sending out a replacement and I should have it done by next week. Hopefully, nothing else is bad.

$95 is really cheap for HID kit, but I;m not sure about the quality of the kits. Just make sure it is EMI shielded so it does not interfer will other electrical components such as power steering, radio, etc. I know more expensive kits are shielded.
Old 10-21-13, 06:27 PM
dc893
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HID are technically illegal in all states , some states just don't enforce the laws. Those will definitely not auto-level.

http://www.sema.org/files/attachment...rsion-Kits.pdf

I had a burning smell once and it was my ballast that went out, never heard of a fire or anything occurring from an HID system.

I used a Kensun kit. I know they are not really the best, but like you I have a budget to keep in mind. If you wanna save some money you could install these yourself and save a few dollars. Very easy to install!

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_8kcypxj4yr_b

The top picture is of a car with a bad cutoff and the bottom is an example of one with a good cutoff. Hope those pics help out a little.
Attached Thumbnails HID (First Time) Question! D:-bad-cutoff.jpg   HID (First Time) Question! D:-good-cutoff.jpg  

Last edited by dc893; 10-21-13 at 06:44 PM.
Old 10-23-13, 12:40 PM
SPLiFFY
Driver

Shadow, thanks for the help, I had assumed the same things about the HID laws here :\ yes to me $95 is cheap for me at least and the quality is what I'll look further into when the shop gets the order in of them. I hope that by now you got your ballast shipped and you're good to go. And thanks for telling me about the EMI thing because I definitely will ask when I head over there!

DC, makes sense now. And I can see why there would be that burning smell then.I figured they are illegal, and with my luck we'll see how far they take me lol. There is nothing wrong with ballin on a budget! And they are half the price of what I'll be paying. I am interested in the warranty and the the install mostly so I guess I can't complain for that price. Easy for you to install is different for me LOL.

I'm still not understanding how you would get such a clean cutoff because without it, they look like garbage D: