Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Philips Ultinon Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-12, 09:14 AM
is350og
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Philips Ultinon Bulbs

Hello, I have a couple question about these bulbs. I currently have a set of these bulbs, and just recently, one of the bulb burned out. So my question is, how much do these bulbs usually go for? I ask this because I bought these bulbs for $99 for the pair off ebay last time, and they were considered to be "GENUINE". At first I thought they were geniune until the light output started to diminish over the lifespan. It has now burned out after just 16months.

Here is a link of the bulbs
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Philips-D4S-...item20c55bd307

But I also found these bulbs on the KBCarStuff website for $122 EACH! NOT the pair. This makes me to believe that the bulbs off eBay are not geniune?
http://www.kbcarstuff.com/Philips-Ul.../pb-d4s-6k.htm

I know HID bulbs usually last pretty long...especially the ones that come stock on the car (PHILIPS).
Old 06-13-12, 02:01 PM
is350og
Driver School Candidate

anyone?............
Old 06-22-12, 11:21 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

You really have to be careful when purchasing Philips products. There are a lot of fakes on the market that are advertised as being "Genuine German made Philips bulbs" when they are anything but.

The bulbs in the link you sent me are selling for $99 for a PAIR. I'm sorry but if these are real German made Philips bulbs that is one heck of a deal.

Here are a few ways to tell a real Philips Ultinon HID bulb apart from a Fake -

Genuine Philips D2S Ultinon HID bulb on left and Fake on the right

This should help, good luck
Old 06-23-12, 01:43 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

I bought 2 sets of these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ONE-PAIR-2X-...ht_2174wt_1189

they could be fake but I compared them to real genuine DS2 bulbs and can't find a problem, I have no complaint

edit: the 1st set I bought looked identical to the factory stock bulbs I replaced them with

Last edited by <VENOM>; 06-24-12 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-25-12, 12:17 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Complete fakes. You can tell by the colour of the return wires.
Old 06-25-12, 04:30 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by XenonDepot
Complete fakes. You can tell by the colour of the return wires.
could care less, but good quality fake bulbs, the ones I received looked identical to the stock HID bulbs so I figured time was put in
Old 06-26-12, 08:14 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Only time will tell right? =)
Old 06-26-12, 01:14 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by XenonDepot
Only time will tell right? =)
I have bought several of your volt kits, excellent quality, but have experienced a failure with your stuff, I figured between the initial cost and time it last it was more then adequate, that is really all Im looking for, the fake bulbs don't bother me, they don't look anything like the ones in the picture you provided, like I said they they look identical to the stock D2S bulbs that I removed, whatever the case they are good quality, that is all I ask for, before I switch them out for a new look.
Old 06-26-12, 02:22 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

HI,

The real issue is not whether the bulbs you purchase are good or bad. The issue is that they are dishonestly representing a product. While you may not care whether or not the product is fake i'm sure that other buyers would.

Steve
Old 07-09-12, 06:55 AM
bwl
Driver School Candidate

There is a difference in between the real and fake philips such as the light output. I have the fake ones and the light output sucks. It seems dim, i had a feeling they were fake but i tried them anyway since i already purchased them. They reminded me of the Mtec HID bulbs I had on my g35, which still costed me almost $150 for a pair & later one stopped working after a few months. I then bought HID bulbs from Xenithxenon and those were good, they were crisp and bright.

Question to XenonDepot- if i were to purchase your XD bulbs to replace my fake philips on my 3GS, would it be a guarantee crisp and bright output? I was debating on your company's bulbs or real Philips in 5k or 6k color.
Old 07-09-12, 09:50 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Hi bwl,

What colour temperature D4S bulbs are you looking at getting? If you are looking for a crisp white output I would suggest going with our 5000k D4S HID bulbs. These bulbs will have more of a "crisper" colour than your stock bulbs and will still maintain a nice amount of light output. keep in mind that as you go higher in terms of colour temperature you end up getting less actual useable light output.

If you do plan on ordering the bulbs then make sure to use coupon code "CLGB08" upon checkout to save $20/bulb.

Steve
Old 07-15-12, 12:50 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
could care less, but good quality fake bulbs, the ones I received looked identical to the stock HID bulbs so I figured time was put in
But the real issue is that you got ripped off. The fake builds probably cost very cheap to produce and you paid a significant mark up.

Since the value is not that much, ok I can see why one would not care however, if it were me, I would. I'm sure you would for more expensive items and turned out to be counterfeit.
Old 07-16-12, 01:45 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sango
But the real issue is that you got ripped off. The fake builds probably cost very cheap to produce and you paid a significant mark up.

Since the value is not that much, ok I can see why one would not care however, if it were me, I would. I'm sure you would for more expensive items and turned out to be counterfeit.
I did not get ripped off, even the real stuff has a genuine markup, I worked in retail at one time, mark up makes the world go round

I knew what I was buying, bulbs that cost 200 bucks for 2 and I found them for half price, I took a risk knowing the options, they came, the quality was great, they look identical to the stock DS2 bulbs, I put them in and exactly what I wanted I got.

I know what I buy and from where, Im looking for certain items that will not break the bank, usually I only buy from online stores, I know ebay is a risk, everything on ebay is not exactly what it suppose to be to some extent.

Its not that I don't care, I just don't want to spend excess money for something I will eventually change out, and shockingly even my stuff "real" stuff has unexpectedly not lasted as long as I would have liked for the price I paid
Old 07-16-12, 11:36 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
I did not get ripped off, even the real stuff has a genuine markup, I worked in retail at one time, mark up makes the world go round

I knew what I was buying, bulbs that cost 200 bucks for 2 and I found them for half price, I took a risk knowing the options, they came, the quality was great, they look identical to the stock DS2 bulbs, I put them in and exactly what I wanted I got.

I know what I buy and from where, Im looking for certain items that will not break the bank, usually I only buy from online stores, I know ebay is a risk, everything on ebay is not exactly what it suppose to be to some extent.

Its not that I don't care, I just don't want to spend excess money for something I will eventually change out, and shockingly even my stuff "real" stuff has unexpectedly not lasted as long as I would have liked for the price I paid
I worked at retail too at one time before I got my real job. As for a counterfeit, it could be just simply a few dollars to make.

Ebay is a risk unless you know what you're doing.

There are some real stuff that isn't good, however that does not limit the choice of going with another which is good.
Old 07-21-12, 03:32 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sango
I worked at retail too at one time before I got my real job. As for a counterfeit, it could be just simply a few dollars to make.

Ebay is a risk unless you know what you're doing.

There are some real stuff that isn't good, however that does not limit the choice of going with another which is good.
Everything cost a few bucks to make, the initial investment is in the research and development, look at current electronics especially Samsung and LG, their TV are nothing but copies of other well know top brands, and Yes I know what Im doing, but thanks for your concern, the 6000k DS2 bulbs I bought match ZenonDepots 6000k bulbs and I have gotten many compliments, the bulbs did what I wanted and I bought a 2nd set for another car

Quick Reply: Philips Ultinon Bulbs