Notices
Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

HID ballasts that won't interfere with radio reception?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-12, 04:17 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default HID ballasts that won't interfere with radio reception?

My ballasts for my fog lights cause static on FM radio, it's not noticeable near the origin of the radio signal but I live and drive mostly 50 miles or more from the stations I listen to.

I may just end up buying some OEM ballasts but does anyone have suggestions for "cheap" ballasts that won't cause problems or a something to try with my ballasts before I spend that much?

I'm running mobileHID (if anyone remembers them) ballasts with their wiring harness. I've heard of people grounding the ballasts but not sure how to go about that or if the harness is already accomplishing that since it's grounded? Anyone know of a casing that would stop the interference?

This seems to be a common problem with aftermarket kits, thought I'd throw this post out and see if anyone has found a good solution, could be helpful to more than me! Thanks for any insight you may have.
Old 03-22-12, 02:14 PM
iJDMTOY
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle Harty
My ballasts for my fog lights cause static on FM radio, it's not noticeable near the origin of the radio signal but I live and drive mostly 50 miles or more from the stations I listen to.

I may just end up buying some OEM ballasts but does anyone have suggestions for "cheap" ballasts that won't cause problems or a something to try with my ballasts before I spend that much?

I'm running mobileHID (if anyone remembers them) ballasts with their wiring harness. I've heard of people grounding the ballasts but not sure how to go about that or if the harness is already accomplishing that since it's grounded? Anyone know of a casing that would stop the interference?

This seems to be a common problem with aftermarket kits, thought I'd throw this post out and see if anyone has found a good solution, could be helpful to more than me! Thanks for any insight you may have.
This is an issue that happens here and there with HID kits and other aftermarket components such as angel eyes for BMW's and such. Anything there is a large amount of electrical current build up in a specific area of a car, it causes something called "EMI" (electro-magnetic interference) which can cause radio interference.

The severity of this depends on what radio station you listen (the lower the station you listen to, the more prone you become to this due to the weaker signal) and the location of the vehicle's antenna. You can try EMI Shielding Tape:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...dingFoilTapes/

Wrap this around the ballast and wiring and it may help out. Food for thought
Old 03-22-12, 07:00 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Thanks, that's the sort of thing I was looking for, worth a try!
Old 03-30-12, 08:20 AM
ybbob
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is something new I've learned today. Never thought a ballast would interfere with the radio haha

Is this something really common?
Old 03-30-12, 09:08 AM
Badsupra10
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow never heard of this, thats ghey.
Old 03-30-12, 03:10 PM
iJDMTOY
Former Sponsor

It doesn't really happen commonly, it just happens to certain vehicles. It also depends on what radio listen to (lower stations are more prone) and where the antenna is on the vehicle.

Most aftermarket ballasts these days should have some type of EMI shielding within the ballast already. I see it happen with components like decoders (basically a capacitor storing electricity) more often than with HID ballasts.
Old 04-09-12, 08:48 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

My ballasts are about 4 years old, could have something to do with it. Still, I wouldn't have noticed if I lived in a metro area, I have problems 50-80 miles from the station source. Ordered some emi shielding tape from China, haven't gotten it yet so can't say if it will help yet.
Old 04-10-12, 07:27 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

it also depends on where you place the ballast as well. i know a few 2IS guys have had problems where they mount them with the signals jumping to other electronics in the engine bay.

When i had my HID fogs, i had the ballast in the engine bay as well and i never had an issue. i then moved the ballast down into the front bumper and certain radio stations i had a problem with.
Old 04-16-12, 08:08 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

My ballasts are mounted to the crash bar behind the front bumper. Just to update, I wrapped the ballasts and all the wiring behind the bumper with EMI shielding tape from China on Ebay and it made a noticeable difference. Not 100% perfect but better for sure. Thanks for the help iJDMTOY.
Old 04-20-12, 12:57 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

Wow! I never knew this. I've had this happen before.
Old 04-26-12, 03:54 PM
iJDMTOY
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Kyle Harty
My ballasts are mounted to the crash bar behind the front bumper. Just to update, I wrapped the ballasts and all the wiring behind the bumper with EMI shielding tape from China on Ebay and it made a noticeable difference. Not 100% perfect but better for sure. Thanks for the help iJDMTOY.
Glad to know that helps somewhat.
Old 05-15-12, 11:08 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

XenonDepot HID kit ballasts have EMI filters (same as OEM ballasts) to prevent this from happening.

Steve
Old 11-03-16, 07:44 AM
ericherm1
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know this is an old thread but the problem is real and even in the past 4 years since the last post it seems HID ballasts are still causing problem. Even so called EMI protected or filtered ballasts are causing RF problems.

I've been suffering from the same symptom since I installed my HID kits back in Jan 2016. It's taken me this long actually find the time to troubleshoot the RF interference problem with my poor radio reception. I've done a ton of research on this, even went so far as to change antennas to an external shark fin style. I've boiled down my fix actions to three options; cover the ballast and connectors with copper EMI tape, install farrite clamps, and if those don't work return the ballasts to the manufacture (OPT7).

The OP stated the copper EMI tape helped and only described a noticeable difference.
Has anyone else messed with these fix actions and achieved positive results?

Last edited by ericherm1; 11-03-16 at 07:53 AM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 11-09-16, 01:24 PM
Golden95SC
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DDM tuning high end ballast protect against this. I have personally purchased their ultra hid kit and its amazing
Old 12-08-16, 07:46 PM
AlfySande
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone...i am a new user here. As per my knowledge the issue happens here and there with HID kits and other aftermarket components such as angel eyes for BMW's and such.Anything there is a large amount of electrical current build up in a specific area of a car, it causes something called electro-magnetic interference which can cause radio interference.

turnkey pcb

Last edited by AlfySande; 03-12-22 at 09:34 AM.