Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

GS300 + LS430 + TSX + Valeo =

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-07, 08:53 AM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KiPod
I made crosshairs on the back of the projector bowl, before I hacked it, to help with up down left right alignment. The pitch was the hardest part I spent almost 2 months making these (spare time). About a week was just me being **** about the pitch. You can always adjust up down left right to an extent later. I sat them on a table and used painters tape on the wall to mark where the level, step, & pitch were. Then I lit up the next one and traced the tape to make sure they were aligned together. I kept a 8mm wrench in my car making tiny adjustments to height until I had it right. I think it all paid off in the end.
being detailed upfront does pay dividends in the finished product..well done..you can tell that your mod was not hacked but put together very well. one sign of a hack job is to look at the rear housing..looking at yours looks very good.
Old 09-01-07, 02:27 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sweet looking beam pattern on the low beams.

The high beams are too centered imo.

Pete
Old 09-01-07, 03:20 AM
JnC
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great retro. I am not sure whats going on with the low beam though, i am strongly against doing the TSX lens swap and you can see the adverse affects of that, the light from projector bowl isnt matching light coming out of the projector.

Compare the above picture of yours with the TSX lens to stock LS430 projector output below, i strongly suggest taking the TSX lenses out when you get a chance.

Notice in the following picture, even though the car is 30+ feet away from the wall the output looks even and seemless.

and this is how the light spread should look like . Although the TSX lenses give you a sharper cut off but they create hot spots and some how some way kill output compared to stock LS430 projectors.
Old 09-01-07, 03:28 AM
JnC
Lead Lap

BTW you live in MD, my brother lives in Ellicot city and i did a retro for him last year using stock LS430s for his GS400.If you see another GS with the LS430s in MD then you know who it is .

Last edited by JnC; 09-01-07 at 03:50 AM.
Old 09-01-07, 06:48 AM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PHML
The high beams are too centered imo.
In the picture they do look centered because of the distance. They widen up to about three lanes at about 100ft. So it just adds light straight ahead above what you already have in front of you. I can try to take more pictures to show.

Originally Posted by JnC
I am not sure whats going on with the low beam though...
I'm confused by that statement. I know where you stand on the TSX lens swap. I have read about it in a couple other threads. My camera is a $90 fuji (I asked him for the cheapest digital camera he had) and the shots were taken on a garage with the garage lights on. I will try to find a dark spot to shoot but its hard where I live (in Rockville). The lights are good enough for me with enough spread, color, & light where you need it. I might try to swap the stock lenses back in to check it out but Im happy with the way it is now. JnC, would you even space the shield or just leave it in 100% stock form?

Last edited by KiPod; 09-01-07 at 07:15 AM.
Old 09-01-07, 07:44 AM
haknslash
Driver School Candidate

stock lenses or bust

Never a fan of TSX lens swap on LS430s. They should be left alone stock for best performance.

Do not space the sheild. By doing so you are messing up the engineering of this projector and how it throw light down into the lower reflector.
Old 09-01-07, 07:59 AM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

3/30/07
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...PROJECTORS+TSX
Originally Posted by JnC
They are not color modded and the lenses are original rather than the more popular TSX ones. I opted not to mod them because after a long debate on HIDplanet we all concurred that the LS430 projectors produce the best light when left in stock condition rather than the modded one.
5/7/07
Originally Posted by JnC
By the way this is how the projector will look like with the clear TSX lens, mmmmm clear .
I guess it depends on if your selling them or not. I can see how spacing the shield might change the light output of the reflector by changing the amount of reflecting light makes it through the opening. Im still not sure on the lens swap though.
Old 09-01-07, 08:47 AM
haknslash
Driver School Candidate

3/30/07
Im still not sure on the lens swap though.
lens swap kills the output. Check on f150dukes retro on hidplanet and you'll see the same ill effects as your retro has.
Old 09-01-07, 09:39 AM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

I thought f150dukes LS430s were bi-xenon and the bi-xenon was what changed his output.
Old 09-01-07, 12:00 PM
haknslash
Driver School Candidate

I thought f150dukes LS430s were bi-xenon and the bi-xenon was what changed his output.
larry did the bixenon and colormod. the bixenon didn't change the position of the shield (in low beam of course) but the lens changed the focal point.
Old 09-01-07, 12:05 PM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by haknslash
larry did the bixenon and colormod. the bixenon didn't change the position of the shield (in low beam of course) but the lens changed the focal point.

haknslash, welcome to Clublexus.. you are the man when it comes to retrofits..stay awhile and share your secrets with us..did you get a lexus??
Old 09-01-07, 12:13 PM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

Wow JnC AND Hak on CL! The lighting forum just found some heavyweights! Welcome guys!!
Old 09-01-07, 12:29 PM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by haknslash
How was the bixenon motor mounted? Did it block any light going into the reflector part? Now Im wondering if I should put the projector back to stock. I love the color but the wing span of light is awesome and thats why I chose the LS in the first place. I was going to use boosted ballasts to get more light but I read that over time the projectors get messed up. I guess from the extra heat or something. Right now Im just using 85122+ bulbs.

Last edited by KiPod; 09-01-07 at 12:33 PM.
Old 09-01-07, 12:48 PM
JnC
Lead Lap

3/30/07

5/7/07

I guess it depends on if your selling them or not. I can see how spacing the shield might change the light output of the reflector by changing the amount of reflecting light makes it through the opening. Im still not sure on the lens swap though.

I am sorry if i have offended you in any way bud, just stating what is debated over and over again at HIDp.

As far as making two contemplating statements, then i guess you are a bit misinformed or i guess you didnt read the whole writeup, i never, in my FS thread said that it makes output better. It says clearly that i damaged the stockers thats why i was selling them with the TSX lenses, along with the fact that most people here benchmark tiguy's LS430/GS retro and go by that, in which he used TSX clear lenses. Further down the line i was able to locate a set of OEM lenses and replaced the TSX with the OEM ones , thats why the thread was updated.

Its your choice to go with color and extra wibit of sharpness over intensity and width, me and hak are only here to pass a recommendation based on experience.
Old 09-01-07, 12:53 PM
JnC
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by emoshun
Wow JnC AND Hak on CL! The lighting forum just found some heavyweights! Welcome guys!!

Thanks emo , i have been on the board for a while due to my brothers GS4, but will be more active now since i recently bought an 00 GS3.

Quick Reply: GS300 + LS430 + TSX + Valeo =