New EVO article on the LFA

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-17, 04:37 PM
SUNLINE
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts
Default New EVO article on the LFA

www.evo.co.uk/Lexus/LFA

You may need a subscription to read this. If someone can figure out how to import the article here, please do. A great read for sure.
Old 09-02-17, 10:27 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,798 Posts

Very well written article. They gave 5/5 stars. As is typical of Evo, they had previously placed LFA in the "Top 5 greatest cars of the last 25 years". I still think the transmission gest unnecessary flack for not being a dual clutch. Most of the time (people like Doug Demuro) don't even realize that they are far from being in the quickest shift mode because they don't know where the switch is to set the speed. I am not saying it would be as quick as a dual clutch, but it trades some shift speed for far more visceral and mechanical feel.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 09-02-17 at 11:55 PM.
Old 09-03-17, 08:54 AM
PG12
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
...but it trades some shift speed for far more visceral and mechanical feel.
DCT are great, but I think the neck snap of a proper single clutch is something very few people actually enjoy. Also, you really have to wind out the LFA and that shift does not feel bad at all when up to speed. Personally love it.
Old 09-03-17, 12:17 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PG12
DCT are great, but I think the neck snap of a proper single clutch is something very few people actually enjoy. Also, you really have to wind out the LFA and that shift does not feel bad at all when up to speed. Personally love it.
I assume you own an LFA? If so, welcome to the board. Pictures please!

What you wrote is true. Although, I have seen almost no LFA owner complain about the transmission. Some of them came from dual clutches (such as, lfahalo who came from MP4-12C Graziano DCT). You are right about going full throttle to get the transmission to shift the best. I could imagine part-throttle, it being either jerky. Lexus even put intelligence into how quickly you flick the paddles to determine how quickly the clutch disengages.
Old 09-03-17, 01:02 PM
PG12
Driver School Candidate

Yes recent purchase.

Im in lfahalos boat, I own and have owned multiple DCT cars, GTR, McLaren, driven Lamborghinis and Ferraris havent yet experianced the PDK.

I don't find the LFA that bad, I think mainly is peoples preconceptions that it is supposed to be a buttery smooth shifting car like the other guys out there. Its not wrong to assume that to be the case, I honestly feel thats why people get caught up in its 'bad' transmission.

Its funny however, that the article calls it such a great thing to drive, I think the gearbox is what makes this car just a Jekyll and Hyde car. Also, I find it a little funny that more people who review the car, dont experiment with a quick lift off the throttle on gear shifts while 'city' driving, which REALLY smooths out the shifts, at least to me...
Old 09-03-17, 01:27 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Yes recent purchase.

Im in lfahalos boat, I own and have owned multiple DCT cars, GTR, McLaren, driven Lamborghinis and Ferraris havent yet experianced the PDK.

I don't find the LFA that bad, I think mainly is peoples preconceptions that it is supposed to be a buttery smooth shifting car like the other guys out there. Its not wrong to assume that to be the case, I honestly feel thats why people get caught up in its 'bad' transmission.

Its funny however, that the article calls it such a great thing to drive, I think the gearbox is what makes this car just a Jekyll and Hyde car. Also, I find it a little funny that more people who review the car, dont experiment with a quick lift off the throttle on gear shifts while 'city' driving, which REALLY smooths out the shifts, at least to me...
Thanks for your comments. Always great to hear from LFA owners. Pics would be nice (not to sound like a broken record).

Most of the reviewers are completely smitten by the engine and its 9500 rpm wail, but completely trash the transmission. Evo magazine even called it the best engine made since the McLaren F1 V12 engine. However, their views are on the other side as far as the transmission goes. The expectation of having seamless shifts from one to the other makes the mechanical engagement seem "power interruption" to them. I completely disagree with that and agree with what you wrote that the transmission is instrumental in making it a driver's car.
Old 09-03-17, 01:59 PM
PG12
Driver School Candidate

Simple spec
The following users liked this post:
05RollaXRS (09-03-17)
Old 09-03-17, 02:48 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Simple spec
Awesome picture. My favorite LFA wheels.
Old 09-03-17, 07:53 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Was that black one the car seen in Chicago this week end?

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/chi...thread-30.html

response # 586