LFA Model (2012)

...so i test drove a white lf-a this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-12, 11:30 AM
wald.sc400
BANNED for ripping off other members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ...so i test drove a white lf-a this weekend

i'm an all around car nut, have driven a share of high profile cars including 997 porsche gt2, gt, 959, ferrari 512, 430, bentley gt coupe, zr1 vette, dbs aston martin, gallardo lp570, diablo sv , and a noble m400 to name a few.

now, i think i'm somewhat qualified to make this observation ......over the weekend, my friends and i attended a private event arranged and hosted by some serious car guys whom are also co-workers of his. I got the privilege of driving a white lf-a and, unfortunately, (and this is coming from a toyota fan) i wasn't impressed considering the car's price tag and lesser more common (read nissan gt-r) competition. the car itself is a work of art, an interior like no other, and the sound is eargasmic.

performance wise, i firmly believe it doesn't hold its own compared against the gt-r. for $400k plus, one can acquire almost 5 gt-r's. don't get me wrong , before anyone starts cutting my throat, the car itself is unbelievable, a true engineering master piece. but for those who are more concerned on numbers that perform, the lf-a doesn't stack up. i can honestly say, i prefer the gt-r over the lf-a. i't been said a lot before but i make no judgements until i drive a car, but i must say that i agree when the media said, "it's only overpriced to make it exclusive"
Old 02-06-12, 11:52 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

points well taken. and please understand i am not trying to challenge at all, i am more curious about how you would rate cars like the gt2, gt, zr1, sv, and lp570 against the gtr? i guess particularly the gt and the sv, considering new they were both 400k and above
Old 02-06-12, 02:18 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

but for those who are more concerned on numbers that perform, the lf-a doesn't stack up.
Really?? How did you determine that based on one small test drive? Did you hook it up to satellite telemetry and do some test runs on a track or butt dyno?? Like Rominl said, do you think a $300K GT2 RS is 3 times the car GTR is then??

but i must say that i agree when the media said, "it's only overpriced to make it exclusive"
p.s. In general, the "media" has been overwhelmingly positive about the LFA. Much more so that they have been with the GTR.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 02-06-12 at 03:06 PM.
Old 02-06-12, 03:29 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Really?? How did you determine that based on one small test drive? Did you hook it up to satellite telemetry and do some test runs on a track or butt dyno?? Like Rominl said, do you think a $300K GT2 RS is 3 times the car GTR is then??

p.s. In general, the "media" has been overwhelmingly positive about the LFA. Much more so that they have been with the GTR.
Doesn't take satellite telemetry to know that the GT-R will beat it in a straight line.
Old 02-06-12, 04:03 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lamar411
Doesn't take satellite telemetry to know that the GT-R will beat it in a straight line.
So you are telling me he used GTR launch control and did a 0 - 60 mph then?? For argument's sake, if that was really the criteria then that makes Porsche 911 Turbo S the best car on the planet with a 2.5 seconds 0 - 60 mph as it is quicker than every car this side of the Bugatti Veyron. All for just $160K. Is it not fair to say, Aventador with a 0 - 60 mph in 2.9 secs is not 5 times the car a 911 Turbo S is??

But, really looking at the entirety of straight line performance about the LFA, it is also true on the average LFA trap speed is higher, the acceleration from 62 mph upwards to 160+ mph is quicker on the LFA, it has a higher top speed as well.

In real world in a test drive no one ever uses launch control. Most of the time people are stomping through putting it in the right gear from a rolling start. From that standing point, it is obvious LFA is substantially quicker. That is why there is a huge hole in how he determined "LFA does not stack up".

That is all with officially Nissan GTR having much more stickier tire than the LFA.

p.s. BTW, Read my Sport Auto Germany scan of the LFA Nurburgring edition. LFA NE has almost a 0.5 seconds faster 0 - 200 km/h (125 mph) than the '13 Nissan GTR.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 02-06-12 at 05:02 PM.
Old 02-06-12, 04:12 PM
js619858
Pole Position

I don't think you can get 5 GTR's maybe 3. Also why does everyone always compare cost to speed?

I know seped is a factor but honestly cost is not all base on speed. It's the overall car functions and history. Some people buy a car not just for speed, if that was the case everyone would just get a GTR.
Old 02-06-12, 04:46 PM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

rolla, calm down man. No need to butcher someone because of an opinion. Besides, the place where the LFA shines is on the track, which a lot of these car guys don't go to when they get together. They do cruises. Have you driven the LFA or even get a ride in one? I'm going to make a guess and say no. I'll take a review from someone behind the wheel, positive or not, than some obsessed car guy any day of the week.
Old 02-06-12, 04:52 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jpvarghese
rolla, calm down man. No need to butcher someone because of an opinion. Besides, the place where the LFA shines is on the track, which a lot of these car guys don't go to when they get together. They do cruises. Have you driven the LFA or even get a ride in one? I'm going to make a guess and say no. I'll take a review from someone behind the wheel, positive or not, than some obsessed car guy any day of the week.
Butcher? I am completely calm. I am only having a healthy debate here and have said nothing personal about anyone. My questions are 100% valid and completely on-topic.

So you can just worry about what you have to say.

p.s. I have not driven the LFA indeed, but also I am not the one here claiming a car X does not "stack up to car Y for its price" or how car X "does not hold its own for its price" either especially while comparing a car that is made of carbon fiber.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 02-06-12 at 05:06 PM.
Old 02-06-12, 04:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

enough, back on topic
Old 02-06-12, 04:59 PM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

LOL. I didn't realize the thread topic was directed specifically towards you, but carry on......
Old 02-06-12, 06:14 PM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Disregard my trolling... Carry on please.
Old 02-06-12, 06:56 PM
wald.sc400
BANNED for ripping off other members

it wasn't a "small test drive" i did back to back runs against an 11' gt-r up to about 120, took it once to 150, the lf-a started inching on the gt-r at about 130, for the price, i'd (me, myself) would take the gt-r, it's track worthy, it's relatively inexpensive, launch control is superb on that car.

Originally Posted by lamar411
haha

Originally Posted by js619858
I don't think you can get 5 GTR's maybe 3. Also why does everyone always compare cost to speed?
gtr is about 77k. at that price, buying 5 has not yet the reach the lfa's $400k mark, 3 gtr's, your at $231k. and cost is compared to speed because you gotta pay to play.

I know seped is a factor but honestly cost is not all base on speed. It's the overall car functions and history. Some people buy a car not just for speed, if that was the case everyone would just get a GTR.
okay, your point here is not a good one, history??? the gt-r has been around since the the late 50's. no other production japanese car has won more championships than this car (again, i'm a toyota fan so don't bash me yet lol) in 1989, the r32 gt-r had a stock 0-60 of 4.7, nonetheless impressive for a 80's mass produced car with conventional doors, 4 person seating, a hood and trunk with actual space,

Butcher? I am completely calm. I am only having a healthy debate here and have said nothing personal about anyone. My questions are 100% valid and completely on-topic.

So you can just worry about what you have to say.

p.s. I have not driven the LFA indeed, but also I am not the one here claiming a car X does not "stack up to car Y for its price" or how car X "does not hold its own for its price" either especially while comparing a car that is made of carbon fiber.
made of carbon fiber, carbon kevlar or high density plastic...i feel like for the price/performance it does not stack up

LOL. I didn't realize the thread topic was directed specifically towards you, but carry on......
lol,dint mean for no one's butt to get hurt
Old 02-06-12, 07:33 PM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by wald.sc400
lol,dint mean for no one's butt to get hurt
Some people get all worked up whenever anything negative about the LFA is mentioned. When people knock its straight-line performance, the numbers and excuses come out in troves. Mind you, the BEST numbers which don't represent typical results. Truth be told, everyone here wouldn't mind if the car had a little more ummph. It's just you will have a hard time finding the same guys admit it.

I love this car, moreso than anything currently available. It's definitely VERY unique and built for a very small niche of car enthusiasts. I appreciate your review, and for the record, not at all offended by it. Car guys have preferences and yours happen to be a very common one. It doesn't make you any less of a car guy.
Old 02-06-12, 07:43 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Some people get all worked up whenever anything negative about the LFA is mentioned. When people knock its straight-line performance, the numbers and excuses come out in troves. Mind you, the BEST numbers which don't represent typical results. Truth be told, everyone here wouldn't mind if the car had a little more ummph. It's just you will have a hard time finding the same guys admit it.

I love this car, moreso than anything currently available. It's definitely VERY unique and built for a very small niche of car enthusiasts. I appreciate your review, and for the record, not at all offended by it. Car guys have preferences and yours happen to be a very common one. It doesn't make you any less of a car guy.
I am not sure why you keep attacking me?? I am trying to understand the full context of his comments for the LFA and its criteria. How about you keep your opinions to yourself about my comments?? This is a thread for open and healthy discussion and as long as the moderators are OK with what I am posting, you have no business policing what I say. Capiche???

Rominl and I asked a very valid question and he has yet to answer that question. Why don't you keep focused on your conversations and stop policing other people's posts. It is what moderators are supposed to do.

Originally Posted by wald.sc400
it wasn't a "small test drive" i did back to back runs against an 11' gt-r up to about 120, took it once to 150, the lf-a started inching on the gt-r at about 130, for the price, i'd (me, myself) would take the gt-r, it's track worthy, it's relatively inexpensive, launch control is superb on that car.
OK, so let me understand this. You took an LFA out for a "test drive" quite obviously without a salesperson or someone from Lexus accompanying you and you lined it up against a Nissan GTR and did a drag race??? You did praise how good the GTR launch control was (honestly, alot of credit goes to the semi-slick DSST 600 Maxx outboard shoulder tires it is wearing, to be precise), but you never explained how you got off the line in the LFA??? What did you do to get the LFA off the line?? Do you have any proof of this drag race to back it up???

Also, the other question Rominl and I had asked. You have driven quite a lot of exotics and said LFA is not worth the money and does not "stack up to a Nissan GTR" even if it is carbon fiber exotic supercar. What do you say about the LP570-4, 599 GTB, 458 Italia, GT2 RS etc. What do you say about the price versus performance of these cars??

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 02-06-12 at 09:55 PM.
Old 02-06-12, 07:57 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I think the LFA is a great car. I've driven it at Sonoma raceway last year. Too bad I was following the instructor who was driving the IS-F so I never got to go triple digits... I am amazed that a rear wheel drive car can have that much grip and that engine is most likely to be reliable than a Ferrari or Lamborghini. I've seen the Ferarri 458 Italia and Lamborghini Aventador in the shop I work at and they are fine automobiles but they seem too common to me. I've seen 2 Bugatti Veyrons but have yet to see an LFA on the streets. I believe that this car is the best of both worlds in terms of being a very fast car with great attention to detail for comfort. If I could afford an LFA, I would jump at the opportunity. Heh

Last edited by CrazyMPG; 02-06-12 at 08:16 PM.

Quick Reply: ...so i test drove a white lf-a this weekend