LFA Model (2012)

Are LF-A's always gonna remain NA?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-11, 07:04 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by motohide
I think the appropriate words are, rather, "WE HOPE the car will remain in production as long as possible."
Ha ha, I sure hope they won't be making more than 500 units regardless of how long it takes to complete them.
Old 05-20-11, 02:07 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by 07grIS350
Ha ha, I sure hope they won't be making more than 500 units regardless of how long it takes to complete them.
i thought it was confirmed that they weren't gonna make anymore since they were losing money on them as it is?
Old 05-20-11, 02:16 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
i thought it was confirmed that they weren't gonna make anymore since they were losing money on them as it is?
LFA is on a 500 limited production run.
Old 05-20-11, 02:57 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
LFA is on a 500 limited production run.
yeah, thanks....already knew that.i dunno how accurate it is but from what i recall they pledged to make 500 and now they are but they loosing $ on them so they wont be made again OR ATLEAST for that price lol. i wouldnt be completely suprised to see them release them again....

on the subject of the 500, i do NOT know this.Is the 500 limited run including the Nuremberg LFA edition or do they have a separate allocation?
Old 05-20-11, 03:59 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

yeah, thanks....already knew that.i dunno how accurate it is but from what i recall they pledged to make 500 and now they are but they loosing $ on them so they wont be made again OR ATLEAST for that price lol. i wouldnt be completely suprised to see them release them again....

on the subject of the 500, i do NOT know this.Is the 500 limited run including the Nuremberg LFA edition or do they have a separate allocation?
500 production LFA's were announced and 500 will be built (as long as there are buyers). From several people on this board, there seems to be anywhere from 5-20 slots left, maybe even less.

There won't be anymore LFA's after 500 including Ring Editions. We won't see a such a special car quite like this from Toyota in a long while.

I don't think the LFA was ever meant to make money in a direct sense. The money that was spent on R&D and marketing will pay for itself in terms of LFA, F, Lexus brand recognition and value.

In my personal opinion, and I know most will disagree with me, he LFA is worthy of and/or more valuable than the $375k that is costs.

Do you guys think we will see a PR announcement when they fill all 500 orders?
Old 05-20-11, 04:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

50 nur edition included in the 500 cars
Old 05-20-11, 06:27 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 532 Likes on 281 Posts

Is the 500 limited run including the Nuremberg LFA edition or do they have a separate allocation?
The Nürburgring Edition LFA (not to be confused with the city Nuremberg aka Nümberg) like Rominl and everyone else mentioned is a limited production up to 50 within the 500 production run for the world. So yes, not all 50 Nürburgring Editions will be made. We may only see only 38 or 45 of the 50.

Last edited by flipside909; 05-20-11 at 06:32 PM.
Old 05-20-11, 11:58 PM
motohide
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 07grIS350
Once again, you are making perfect sense. I guess the GT-R can do with less down force since it has the most advanced AWD grip there is. That allows for it to 'fly' on the high-speed sections at the top end. So the trick is actually make the LFA stick to the track more in order to reduce the lap time at Fuji.
It sounds more and more like at good set of race tires is the easiest way to accomplish this.
Exactly, the GT-R can't be ridiculed in any way here, it is probably the most capable machine here in terms of universally being potent for greater types of venue, with development of the current AWD system has been in production since 1987 and introduced in 1989 on the R32 Skyline GT-R.

Constant development over 20 years do make things nearly prefect. It had dominated Group A racing in Japan, and has been improved each year. The LFA has a whole different reason for life than the Skyline, which is what I have been telling those who won't accept that the LFA lost at Fuji...

The reason Veryon is also AWD is for the same reason, to artificially create a positive traction level to fight the ungodly amount of sheer resistance while climbing its way to over 400km/h speed. The grip for pushing the car to such threshold of top speeds can't be done with mere 2wd. Veryon's selling point of trying to be the fastest car in the world (top speed), VW group chose the AWD drivetrain to do just that.
Now the Veryon too, because its AWD, also behaves strange and artificial in lapping various corners, and as such is not as pure and honest about handling like a pure sports car in a classic sense. Like the Veyron, GTR's mission is to be the most economical car that can post speeds and be all mighty in many venues and conditions. It's original concept since the 1960's was to win touring car races.

The LFA stays true to a different value, and its selling point is to be one of the best "handling" GT car with lightweight construction, and intrinsic effects such as sounds and feel that appeals to senses rather than just sheer catalog performance data. It's mission was never from the start, to be faster than everything on the planet.

Last edited by motohide; 05-21-11 at 12:19 AM.
Old 05-21-11, 12:05 AM
motohide
Pole Position

Losing money is a relative thought. Each LFA may not pay for its own development and production costs, but the overall effect of what the car will do to Lexus as a brand for many years beyond, the cost may certainly be justified.

Without the Formula One success of Honda with McLaren in the 1980's, with Ayrton Senna, and subsequent production of NSX and its LeMans 24 Hours effort, Honda/Acura brand may not have seen such success in the 1990's for sales of exciting compact cars and luxury sedans.

I think the LFA is a similar type of project and design exercise, both from in-house research into how much of a car they can actually produce in stable quality, despite the exotic materials.
And on the marketing side, how it can boost the image by having a flagship that can stand against the best sports cars in the world, with Lexus touch.
Old 05-22-11, 05:32 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So does anyone think anyone will put an AWD system in an LFA?
Old 05-22-11, 07:11 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by ashtray
I am 10000000000000000% certain that will NEVER happen.

Remember yall the LFA might be limited to 500 but LFB, LFC etc can happen and I would bet on it.
Old 05-23-11, 02:30 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The next step would be a larger run of cars, hybrid sports cars IMO- judging by the way things are going with the sports car market of the future and everyone talking green and KERS- I think Toyoda and Toyota want a piece of the pie. At least I hope so, let some of that trickle down to a new SC or IS coupe!
Old 05-23-11, 02:35 PM
motohide
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ashtray
No, that would go against every essence and theme of developing a LFA as Lexus' "PURE" sports car.

When and if FORMULA ONE is all AWD, they might consider it. But not during my lifetime I suppose. It's easier to make a F1 fly and race in the air than be effective as AWD. LOL!~
Old 05-24-11, 06:40 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

One of the best threads I've ever had the pleasure of reading on CL..... Props to all...
Old 05-24-11, 07:14 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by motohide
No, that would go against every essence and theme of developing a LFA as Lexus' "PURE" sports car.

When and if FORMULA ONE is all AWD, they might consider it. But not during my lifetime I suppose. It's easier to make a F1 fly and race in the air than be effective as AWD. LOL!~
There was once an awd F1 car. It was swiftly banned. I'm not a fan of the awd ps3 like experience, and I soundly believe that awd cars, especially performance cars are for playing in the dirt and snow (lambo n GT-R exempted). But the grip advantage that a properly sorted awd car has is phenomenal. I have no doubt in my mind, if they were allowed, F1 would go awd faster than Jarno Trulli could do a qualifying lap at Spa.

Quick Reply: Are LF-A's always gonna remain NA?