LFA Model (2012)

LFA value discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-11, 04:26 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tommy you're silly man, seriously. You've seen the new LP? REALLY? Where did you go? Or are you talking about the all black camo'd version that journalists have had sneak peeks of for over half a year now? If that is what you're talking about it's nothing to brag about, you're not alone. Perspective buyers get previews of cars all the time. Over on Ferrarichat there were users who had the inside look of the new FF for the past half year as well. Thought final design differs somewhat, the drawings are already there. So what you say isn't something special.

As for the LFA price, the only option that I can think of that would cost a lot more is the Matte paint at 20K, you get three different specs inside, and I think each of them comes at the asking price of 375K. This isn't ferrari where you got an encyclopedia of 'optional' parts. It's silly. I've heard of 458's going for over 400K with the 'extras' added. Like carbon trim inside, or special colored stitching, or how about different color wheels, or slicker tires... go over to ferrarichat and take a look at some of the ridiculousness of the 'extras' and their prices. For stripes on a Ferrari it might cost you 5k!
Old 01-28-11, 04:40 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TF109B
Tommy you're silly man, seriously. You've seen the new LP? REALLY? Where did you go? Or are you talking about the all black camo'd version that journalists have had sneak peeks of for over half a year now? If that is what you're talking about it's nothing to brag about, you're not alone. Perspective buyers get previews of cars all the time. Over on Ferrarichat there were users who had the inside look of the new FF for the past half year as well. Thought final design differs somewhat, the drawings are already there. So what you say isn't something special.

As for the LFA price, the only option that I can think of that would cost a lot more is the Matte paint at 20K, you get three different specs inside, and I think each of them comes at the asking price of 375K. This isn't ferrari where you got an encyclopedia of 'optional' parts. It's silly. I've heard of 458's going for over 400K with the 'extras' added. Like carbon trim inside, or special colored stitching, or how about different color wheels, or slicker tires... go over to ferrarichat and take a look at some of the ridiculousness of the 'extras' and their prices. For stripes on a Ferrari it might cost you 5k!
Lamborghini has had private viewing events. While I hardly ever agree with much of what Tommy says, I think it's unfair to call him silly, or call him out on his claim.
Old 01-28-11, 04:47 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

So question? Things like the Navi/ML system, the telematics stuff are all standard? I thought there were option packages? What about the ring package? Isnt that an upgradable option? Thats pretty interesting if true.

As far as the Lp700, he has stated in this forum that they had private showings for Lambo owners of the LP700 sometime last year of the actual car with pricing and ordering info.
Old 01-28-11, 04:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Regarding, the LP700, there is no official announcement on the price and not even through the grapevine so whatever you are getting for price is of no interest for me. I have not even seen a pre-production prototype yet revealed so it is still far from materializing. Chances are, LFA would be relegated to the history books by that time.

Unless Lambo is planning on building tens of thousands of those, I am sure it will be north of $510,000. I can guarantee. Let's wait and see when the official MSRP especially for North America comes out. Again, that is what I personally believe and like I said before "wait and see". You can feel free to disagree.

You are saying I don't know what I am talking about. However, despite what I wrote in my previous post, you don't really seem to know much either.

The $375,000 includes every single luxury amenities etc. you could possibly get on the Lexus LFA. They all come standard. You can only delete any of those options (at no extra cost - pun intended). You get to choose and configure the LFA the way you want offering several different combinations and palettes. You might want to check out flipside's thread for details on that. All of that is included in $375,000 MSRP. That is completely opposite to nearly every other supercar where every amenity is nickel and dimed.

The only options available on Lexus LFA are the crazy things like passionate pink special order color or a matte black paint. Those are customizations. Not options.

i don't know how many of this is still true, but here you go

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lfa...ml#post5258136

granted the options are probably not as expensive, but seems like some options do actually cost money. do you think lexus is actually even going to bother putting up these prices on their site? no... and yes, matte color is extra 20k, and nur edition another 75k
Old 01-28-11, 05:04 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Lamborghini does things a bit differently. The potential buyers were flown out to Lamborghini headquarters to see the car.

As of now there are 40 cars already completed and priced. Just like TommyJames has said, the price is competitive with the LFA
Originally Posted by TommyJames
You don't know what you're talking about and I suggest you do your homework. There are several offers (Cats Exotics and others) out there trading across a used SV for the new LP700 which I still wouldn't do. I've already seen the new LP700 and I've been quoted prices on the new LP700 myself. It's in the same general range as the LP640.

As for the LFA, that $375 is before options, right? Furthermore, if they are non-exotic owners not getting out of something similar in price, as many have said here, they have to also add that expense. Many states such as Washington subtract sales tax (about 10%) on the trade-in and that's a big number you have to also add if you're not moving from one exotic to the other.
Regarding, the LP700, there is no official announcement on the price and not even through the grapevine so whatever you are getting for price is of no interest for me. I have not even seen a pre-production prototype yet revealed so it is still far from materializing. Chances are, LFA would be relegated to the history books by that time.

Unless Lambo is planning on building tens of thousands of those, I am sure it will be north of $510,000. I can guarantee. Let's wait and see when the official MSRP especially for North America comes out. Again, that is what I personally believe and like I said before "wait and see". You can feel free to disagree.

You are saying I don't know what I am talking about. However, despite what I wrote in my previous post, you don't really seem to know much either.

The $375,000 includes every single luxury amenities etc. you could possibly get on the Lexus LFA. They all come standard. You can only delete any of those options (at no extra cost - pun intended). You get to choose and configure the LFA the way you want offering several different combinations and palettes. You might want to check out flipside's thread for details on that. All of that is included in $375,000 MSRP. That is completely opposite to nearly every other supercar where every amenity is nickel and dimed.

The only options available on Lexus LFA are the crazy things like passionate pink special order color or a matte black paint. Those are customizations. Not options.
Old 01-28-11, 05:05 PM
TommyJames
Lead Lap

The Nurburgring package adds $70k to the price of an LFA and that info is posted. That puts it at $445k, before taxes. Meanwhile the price of the LP700 was posted by a dealer in Germany in Euros which works out to $420k US. I can't imagine a dealer posting false info. Even the SV didn't have $90k in options!

As for "rumors" I was at the customer unveiling event in LA on December 3. I met with Wolfgang Hoffmann, COO of Lamborghini and my local dealer upon my return, who was also with us in LA. I was presented with a proposal and I also signed an NDA so I can't get into specifics that aren't already public. Yet, you somehow seem to know more about the US market?

When you get in the $375k range, $450k isn't going to make that much difference to someone who can afford the car. So many factors can erase any difference in resale that the future becomes just a guess. Who knows if the LFA will catch fire or suffer huge depreciation, wiping out that difference in price so in my book, they are priced within the ballpark.
Old 01-28-11, 05:09 PM
TommyJames
Lead Lap

Yes, REALLY!
Old 01-28-11, 05:24 PM
TommyJames
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx
Lamborghini does things a bit differently. The potential buyers were flown out to Lamborghini headquarters to see the car.

As of now there are 40 cars already completed and priced. Just like TommyJames has said, the price is competitive with the LFA
For US customers, a car was brought into a semi-secret location, indoors. Security was incredibly tight, metal detectors, the whole bit. Guests were selected and screened by the factory and a few were disinvited for security reasons.

They started the car, but that was it. We were given one hour with the new car and got to go through it very carefully. We were presented very detailed performance specifications- all of which will be beat by the press as usual.

The published 0-60 on the SV is 3.2, yet Road and Track did it in 2.8 and the LP700 is faster. That car did cost $500k, but the new car will be a lot less. The SV is holding its value, depending on color.

I'm guessing the magazines will be published numbers when they get actual production cars, so it's hard to speculate on value.

If you don't want to argue with the comparable differences with the LP700, then argue with the new Superleggera for about $100K less, or the new McLaren, or the F458 which is no longer sold above sticker in many markets.

The point I was making in my original post is that you're trying to hit a moving target and claim one is best over the other. If I had to measure on some of the criteria here, I'd never own any exotic. Again, emotion, fun, then all the other stuff. There is nothing rational about exotic ownership. We buy these cars because we love cars and we love driving.
Old 01-28-11, 05:36 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
So question? Things like the Navi/ML system, the telematics stuff are all standard? I thought there were option packages? What about the ring package? Isnt that an upgradable option? Thats pretty interesting if true.

As far as the Lp700, he has stated in this forum that they had private showings for Lambo owners of the LP700 sometime last year of the actual car with pricing and ordering info.
Nurburgring edition is not an option. It is a different model. Nurburgring edition comes with a different suspension, different body parts, different tires etc.

As far as navi, backup camera, telemetrics such as, live updates etc. All of that is standard. Like I said before, you can only delete standard amenities out of the LFA, which is exactly the opposite of other supercars where a base model is stripped of most of the amenities.

For example, when LFA was compared by C&D against the Ferrari 599 GTB with the HGTE track package, the base price was only $330,000 compared to LFA's $375,000. However, to bring the equipment level on par with the LFA and to make the handling a more fair comparison, they needed to add the HGTE track package ($30,000 alone) and the price ballooned past the LFA up to $430,000.

Here is LFA's interior compared to some other supercars. It is no rocket science to see how far LFA's interior stands out in terms of fit, finish, technology and sheer obsession with attention to details. These are the things only people who drive and experience can appreciate. Not the people who argue over the internet about which car offers the most horsepower per dollar.

That is real aluminum trim. No accents or paints:

[/B]

458 Italia (painted aluminum accents in a car that loaded costs nearly $300k):

LP570-4 Superleggera interior:

Ferrari 599 GTB HGTE:

LP670-4 Super Veloce:

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 01-28-11 at 05:48 PM.
Old 01-28-11, 05:47 PM
TommyJames
Lead Lap

And your point is??? Again, I said they were all in the ballpark. Believe it not, different buyers have different expectations about how an interior should look. The new interior on the LP700 is very different from anything else they have so far, and some don't like it because they prefer a minimal interior. Some hate the 458 because it's too Fiat, some will not like the LFA because it's not raw enough, others will be just the opposite. Again, it's largely emotion.

The point of my original post on this thread is that these cars are within the general price range where they don't make a huge difference to many buyers because the resale is unknown and true cost of ownership is the fist check and all the checks in between, minus what you get when you sell the car. That can swing any direction, often with factors having nothing to do with the car. When the economy goes south, people dump cars, especially if they aren't driving them. The market will decide if the LFA is what customers want and all the advertising, hype, etc., will only carry it so far. It's either going to make it or it won't and the market hasn't made that call yet. Even if it doesn't sell out in the US, that won't make it a failure as there are not many $400k+ cars selling these days ($375k is close enough) so if they sell just 50, they will be doing well.
Old 01-28-11, 05:54 PM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

The point I was making in my original post is that you're trying to hit a moving target and claim one is best over the other. If I had to measure on some of the criteria here, I'd never own any exotic. Again, emotion, fun, then all the other stuff. There is nothing rational about exotic ownership. We buy these cars because we love cars and we love driving.
Just for a good laugh, Russell Peters was quoted
"I could have easily bought a Lamborghini or Ferrari at any point of my life, but I don’t like getting in and out of them – they’re too low and literally I hurt my ***** getting in and out of those cars. So when they say guys that drive those cars are making up for something – I’d say they clearly have no *****! "

I am hoping that getting in an out of the LFA is not that much of a torture. Otherwise I really don't want to project that kind of image to someone like him.
Old 01-28-11, 06:15 PM
TommyJames
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 07grIS350
Just for a good laugh, Russell Peters was quoted
"I could have easily bought a Lamborghini or Ferrari at any point of my life, but I don’t like getting in and out of them – they’re too low and literally I hurt my ***** getting in and out of those cars. So when they say guys that drive those cars are making up for something – I’d say they clearly have no *****! "

I am hoping that getting in an out of the LFA is not that much of a torture. Otherwise I really don't want to project that kind of image to someone like him.
Peter may be able to afford other cars, but apparently he's not learned how to avoid sitting on his own *****. He must not own a bicycle or motorcycle. He'd die on a hardtail.

Admittedly, some lightweight seats are incredibly uncomfortable. They are literally a lightly padded carbon fiber bucket. My seats were comfortable (and adjustable) in my LP640 so I asked for the same seat design in my SV and they are perfect. I drove the original demo SV, the one used in the Road and Track test, and found those seats to be intolerable. They have no adjustments other than two different anchor settings and fore-aft. The difference in weight between what I have and the sport seats is about 40 pounds, and I equate that to a few gallons of gas, so it was no big deal. I drive all my cars, so comfort matters. I'm sure the LFA will do well in that area.

One point about comfort, when the SLR came out, everyone was making all the exact same arguments about that car; how Mercedes was going to show the others a thing or two about exotics. Yea, the seats seemed comfortable, but buyers hated the overall ride. What they experienced on the track in a demo was VERY different from their actual routes to and from home. Values tanked! It's still a very striking car to me. The interior is nice looking, etc., all the stuff argued here, but like I said, the market will decide once the cars are in a real world environment. Keep in mind so far few up to this point have been allowed to drive the LFA.

I'll report back on the LFA after I drive it in about a month. For now, I'm keeping an open mind. I don't just drink the Cool-Aid about any car.
Old 01-28-11, 06:37 PM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Peter may be able to afford other cars, but apparently he's not learned how to avoid sitting on his own *****. He must not own a bicycle or motorcycle. He'd die on a hardtail.

Admittedly, some lightweight seats are incredibly uncomfortable. They are literally a lightly padded carbon fiber bucket. My seats were comfortable (and adjustable) in my LP640 so I asked for the same seat design in my SV and they are perfect. I drove the original demo SV, the one used in the Road and Track test, and found those seats to be intolerable. They have no adjustments other than two different anchor settings and fore-aft. The difference in weight between what I have and the sport seats is about 40 pounds, and I equate that to a few gallons of gas, so it was no big deal. I drive all my cars, so comfort matters. I'm sure the LFA will do well in that area.

One point about comfort, when the SLR came out, everyone was making all the exact same arguments about that car; how Mercedes was going to show the others a thing or two about exotics. Yea, the seats seemed comfortable, but buyers hated the overall ride. What they experienced on the track in a demo was VERY different from their actual routes to and from home. Values tanked! It's still a very striking car to me. The interior is nice looking, etc., all the stuff argued here, but like I said, the market will decide once the cars are in a real world environment. Keep in mind so far few up to this point have been allowed to drive the LFA.

I'll report back on the LFA after I drive it in about a month. For now, I'm keeping an open mind. I don't just drink the Cool-Aid about any car.
I think there is no doubt that Russell was joking as usual.
I am actually buying the LFA based on the Cool-Aid that is why this forum is so addicting, because it's the best way for me to get some actual info on the car. Also, the fact that 165 copies in Japan and the 9 (I was the last one to sign on) in Canada were sold in a short time provided some comfort.
Old 01-28-11, 06:59 PM
TommyJames
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 07grIS350
I think there is no doubt that Russell was joking as usual.
I am actually buying the LFA based on the Cool-Aid that is why this forum is so addicting, because it's the best way for me to get some actual info on the car. Also, the fact that 165 copies in Japan and the 9 (I was the last one to sign on) in Canada were sold in a short time provided some comfort.
If you're not already an exotic owner, whatever you do, plug into the exotic community in your area and you will have 10X more fun with your car and you will learn a lot more about where you can and can't go with your car, as well as care and feeding tips that apply to all exotics.
Old 01-28-11, 08:32 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Here are a few videos that address LFA's value for the money directly head on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKmi2...layer_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qPxk...layer_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeNJwS3coLk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDYGd...layer_embedded

Quick Reply: LFA value discussion thread