Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

System overhaul this weekend on the GS400

Old 08-06-12, 11:39 AM
rome58
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default System overhaul this weekend on the GS400

Im finishing getting my equipment this week, and going to dive in this weekend and replace everything. Only thing I am not going to run rear speakers for now, but everything is coming out and being replaced.

HU- Pioneer avh-p4400bh with metra dash kit
Front Stage- Focal 165 A1 components
Sub-Alpine Type R 10"
Amps- Old Kicker 250.2 for components, Alpine mrp-m500 for the sub
4-guage power wiring
All new 12guage wiring ran through the doors from knuconeptz

Hope this goes well first time ripping apart my GS
Old 08-12-12, 05:03 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Update with pics? Not a fan of the Alpine subs, but really want to know how the Focals sound.....
Old 08-13-12, 10:21 AM
jtgs400
Lead Lap

FYI, anything larger than 4", the front speakers will not be a direct drop-in fit. All 4 doors use speaker pods so you'll either have to modify the pod to fit the larger speakers or find an adapter. And since you will have the door panels off I recommend sound damping the whole doors too. It'll make a world of a difference cause the doors have huge openings that will ruin the sound.

Also if you're up to it you can remove the stock sub to let more bass into the cabin.
Old 08-15-12, 10:18 AM
rome58
Rookie

I got a late start on Saturday I didn't finish all the way Im going to get all the pics up this weekend !!! Just have to finish in the trunk and get the sub box built and installed. The Focals sound simply amazing and I am under powering them so I may upgrade my 2ch amp to feed them the power they need, but I am highly impressed.

I am using the adapters from car-speaker-adapters.com. I didn't get to dynamatting this time around but that is in the future plans.
Old 08-15-12, 03:07 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

At least you got it started! Finishing the trunk shouldn't take more than a day, if all goes well. I have heard Focals, but never had them in my own car. They are VERY nice! I'm with you on the under powering the doors by the way. My HSK165 components can handle 125w per door, but the Memphis MC4.50 is only giving them 50w each. I either want to run an old PPI PC4.100 on them, or an Audison (way out of my budget). What type of box are you going to use (sealed or ported)? Can't wait to see the pics!
Old 08-17-12, 12:50 AM
rome58
Rookie

Im just keeping it simple in this car (for now at least) so Im going with a 10" sealed enclosure. The Focals I am running are entry level they are rated at 60 watts per side im feeding them 50 as well but they sound simply amazing the clarity is unlike anything I have ever experienced. I have had Infinity perfects, Kicker KS series, and type R's, and these blow all of those out of the water.
Old 08-17-12, 01:18 AM
rome58
Rookie

Default A few pics

12 guage speaker wire ran through Door Jams. Taking the glovebox out and removing the stock amp made this 100x's easier

Speakers installed Dynamat is definitely in the near future

For the Headunit I spliced into factory wiring using the blue/yellow wire for the constant and the grey wire next to it for the ACC, both are on the 6 pin plug circled. I grounded on the metal member where the arrow is pointing I should of took pictures of that work but didn't think about it until afterwards.

Avh-p4400bh fired right up loaded with custom splash screen curtesy of Yakuza_GS

I double sided taped the crossovers in the glovebox

I picked up this ipod cable for about $4 off Amazon instead of a $50 pioneer cable
Old 08-17-12, 08:10 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

Looking good bro! I have always loved how the center cone in the Focals is fixed while the cone moves around it. If I blow my HSKs up (gonna do it eventually) I am definitely gonna get a set of Focals. I'm surprised you didn't mount the crossovers inside the doors? I did the double sided tape as well for mine. Had to pull the woofers back out after the install because the window glass would hit the back of it when you shut the door with the window down. That's even using the adapters (same brand as you are using) which meant that the woofer was about a 1/4" shallower than it would have been otherwise. I took toolbox drawer liner, placed it over the magnet and zip tied it in place. The cut out the center for the hole so that it would get air. The liner was a mesh material anyway but better safe than sorry. Can't wait to see your next round of pics.
Old 09-29-12, 03:06 PM
rome58
Rookie

Finally putting the trunk together. Im running the 10in type R off of an Alpine mrp-m500 I am going to put a false wall in front for a stealth look. So far just mounted the amps and the speaker box, I still have to neat up my wiring and make the false wall, but the system sounds pretty nice!!!!

Question for anybody Does the cover over the stock sub just pop off or do I have to take out the back seat?

Old 09-29-12, 10:18 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Install looks clean and basic. Overall how is the sound, crisp and clean? Little distortion at higher volume?
Old 09-30-12, 11:49 AM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Looking good so far bro. If you make a beauty board (wall) to cover everything, you may want to put fans on the amps. Looks like they have lots of space though. I just finished doing Dynamat in the doors and trunk lid of my IS350 and it makes a HUGE difference. Put this off too long and you will be kicking yourself! Trust me, I am. I'm changing mine up again though. Got a pair of Zapco 2 channels on the way to run my doors which should make the SQ even better. As for your sub stage, that looks like an awfully large sealed box for a 10?
Old 09-30-12, 10:13 PM
rome58
Rookie

Yea it is a super basic install didnt want to go too far past stock at least for now it sounds real good the bass hits pretty deep and cleanI havent had any distortion I am extremely satisfied with the products.

The box is 1cu ft. they say is the biggest to go for the type r, it looks so small to what im used to big ported L7 boxes lol. Im going to dynamat my doors also most likely in the next month or so I should of just done it from the start but im looking forward to that sound improvement
Old 10-02-12, 08:40 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

You will like it! My 15" Memphis sub is currently ported in a 3.25cf box, tuned to 30hz. I'm fixing to try a sealed box for it, but will need to up my power to get the volume that I'm used to. Car audio is great, but it is a never ending addiction. You will always want it cleaner and louder. Uggh....
Old 10-16-12, 08:52 AM
lo0nY
Driver School Candidate

is the factory sub still in the rear deck? if you remove it, you'll get better bass response