Sponsored by:

Factory Radio Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-12, 08:35 PM
mcsddd
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory Radio Question

I am planning on getting aftermarket door speakers an extra aftermarket speaker for the rear deck and a sub. Im planning to have an aftermarket amp for the door speakers and of course the sub. I will be running 3-4 amps total. The whole system will push around 1200w rms. I want to keep my factory radio though. Is it powerful enough to run the whole system? I was looking up and found information about a jl cleansweep but do I have to get that? or would a loc do the job? Please help. Thank you I have a lexus 98 gs400
Old 08-05-12, 01:52 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by mcsddd
I am planning on getting aftermarket door speakers an extra aftermarket speaker for the rear deck and a sub. Im planning to have an aftermarket amp for the door speakers and of course the sub. I will be running 3-4 amps total. The whole system will push around 1200w rms. I want to keep my factory radio though. Is it powerful enough to run the whole system? I was looking up and found information about a jl cleansweep but do I have to get that? or would a loc do the job? Please help. Thank you I have a lexus 98 gs400
It's not a question of if the factory radio is powerful enough, it's a question of how you integrate into the system.

Do you have the ML system or do you have the Nak system? If you have navigation, it's probably ML, but you'd have to check to be sure.

Either way, you can do the LOC option, but the cleansweep is a better choice, and here's why - if you get a LOC, you need one for front, one for rear, and one for the sub (unless you split the signal to the amp from one of the other LOC's). With a cleansweep, you get all of that in one unit that you can match levels and eliminate the factory processing with. It makes for a much more streamlined installation since one unit does it all and in one chassis. If you're going to do a full on custom system, spend a few more $$ and get a piece that will make your installer's life easier and accomplish the job with less hassle.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Big Mack
Old 08-05-12, 08:04 AM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

IMHO that's a waste. Why get all the great amps and speakers then drive them with the stock system? If you are going to do that, get an aftermarket head unit. I have a 2000 ES, I replaced the head unit with a Pioneer F90BT, used the factory amps and sub and replaced the speakers with Boston Acoustics SE series... huge improvement. At some point I'll replace the factory sub and amps but even without it sounds so much better than stock...
Old 08-05-12, 11:26 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

Originally Posted by mdbrown
IMHO that's a waste. Why get all the great amps and speakers then drive them with the stock system? If you are going to do that, get an aftermarket head unit. I have a 2000 ES, I replaced the head unit with a Pioneer F90BT, used the factory amps and sub and replaced the speakers with Boston Acoustics SE series... huge improvement. At some point I'll replace the factory sub and amps but even without it sounds so much better than stock...
Perhaps to maintain the appearance of the stock unit? If you have nav in a GS, an aftermarket deck looks wildly out of place, even with the best kit. The only way to solve that is to fully integrate a new deck in with a customized panel, but very, VERY few people from what I have seen have accomplished it because it is rather expensive to do properly and you still need a set of climate controls from a non nav car. Even non-nav cars don't look factory smooth. I know that I've done several integrations in other vehicles and the labor alone approached $1K to fabricate pieces, texture match, color match, and install. Then even a minor scratch becomes major because you have to essentially do it all over again.

It's not for everyone, but the sound quality out of the factory deck through a good integration system can sound quite good. Not aftermarket good with a high end deck, but solid enough for most listeners.

Big Mack
Old 08-05-12, 02:41 PM
mcsddd
Rookie

Yea i really like the look of the factory unit and want to keep all the functions. im planning on getting the audiocontrol lc6i. I have a 98 gs400 with navigation so that means i have the ml sound system? I thought it was a pioneer. im not really sure how to tell. and for the lc6i i've seen some people say tap into the factory sub and others say tap into the amp? which place should i pick? and also remember im replacing the stock sub with a 10 inch speaker in the rear deck. so im guessing id be tapping into the amp.
Old 08-05-12, 03:44 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by mcsddd
Yea i really like the look of the factory unit and want to keep all the functions. im planning on getting the audiocontrol lc6i. I have a 98 gs400 with navigation so that means i have the ml sound system? I thought it was a pioneer. im not really sure how to tell. and for the lc6i i've seen some people say tap into the factory sub and others say tap into the amp? which place should i pick? and also remember im replacing the stock sub with a 10 inch speaker in the rear deck. so im guessing id be tapping into the amp.
It may be Pioneer in your year, but you would see a designation on the deck that says Mark Levinson on it if you had ML. Having nav does not guarantee that you have it. In either case, easiest to grab all the signals at the amplifier output rather than going to the individual speaker locations. You can do a search on here to find wiring diagrams.

Big Mack
Old 08-05-12, 04:25 PM
mcsddd
Rookie

yea mine doesnt say ml on the deck. and ok thanks for the help. My other question is the remote wire. I would just hook that according to the wiring diagram? cause ive seen some people tap into an accessory fuse. does it matter?
Old 08-05-12, 06:19 PM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Mack
Perhaps to maintain the appearance of the stock unit? If you have nav in a GS, an aftermarket deck looks wildly out of place, even with the best kit. The only way to solve that is to fully integrate a new deck in with a customized panel, but very, VERY few people from what I have seen have accomplished it because it is rather expensive to do properly and you still need a set of climate controls from a non nav car. Even non-nav cars don't look factory smooth. I know that I've done several integrations in other vehicles and the labor alone approached $1K to fabricate pieces, texture match, color match, and install. Then even a minor scratch becomes major because you have to essentially do it all over again.

It's not for everyone, but the sound quality out of the factory deck through a good integration system can sound quite good. Not aftermarket good with a high end deck, but solid enough for most listeners.

Big Mack
Well, that answers my question. Was not aware the GS had nav that early. I have an ES and I don't think factory nav was offered until 2002 or thereabouts.
Old 08-06-12, 09:45 AM
rajeev6
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can add my 2 cents from my experience - although mine is 2010 HS250h. I'm also in the same situation - have to keep the factory system - just add more components.

The newer cars do not have any line outs and the connection from HU to factory amp (underneath front passenger seat) is a proprietary connection. As such the only option is to use speaker outs. If your car has line outs in the HU, that is definitely your best option.

I've all the door speakers replaced with JBL components and it is a night and day difference.

My research shows that ML system may be around 30 watts per channel.
When looking to upgrade mine, the first question that popped up was speaker size at various places. There's just not enough space in dash and rear deck to do any custom work. My car has a low profile 8" DVC sub - making it very difficult to find an aftermarket one with higher wattage!
If my car had ML system, it would have 3.5" speakers in dash and in rear deck. I popped up the grill on the dash (it has only a tweeter in current configuration) and found that there not enough space to put a 3.5" 50 watt speaker (which have larger magnets).

Signal processors (like Cleansweep) are good options (although not required) - I do have JBL MS-8 which had to be taken out and I'm getting ready to put in back again. It sounded excellent when it was there the first time even with the factory speakers!

Last edited by rajeev6; 08-07-12 at 08:07 AM.