Sponsored by:

Radio draining battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-11, 09:04 AM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Radio draining battery

Yesterday I rewired the speakers in the car and connected them to an aftermarket deck. Things went smoothly and system is working flawlessly until the battery died, I thought heh so what.

After testing and recharging at autozone they said battery is good, I put it back into the car and turned on the radio and switched on the engine, after driving it for a while the car lost power and died on me again. Installed a new battery and kept the radio off. Last night car was running nicely with the radio on until it lost power again and lights wouldnt go on, nothing except the dash lights, barely made it home.

Dude at autozone said it could be the alternator, but the car dies away when the radio is on (at least after rewiring the radio, before that the radio used to come on with no sound things were fine)

I have the standard wiring and confirmed it with this thread

This is my wiring
http://i54.tinypic.com/2expo9w.jpg

Any ideas?
Old 10-23-11, 03:27 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you install the deck yesterday too? My first guess would be you crossed the 2 power wires on accident
Old 10-23-11, 04:01 PM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

I installed it a week back. almost the same setup, but I rewired the speakers yesterday. I remember while tryina connect the front pass speaker I connected the whites to the factory whites under the passenger carpet(which go to the factory amp), the radio would only turn on and off and would make the pass front speaker make a slight pop sound everytime it comes on so i just ran a wire to speaker.

Everything else is wired in the car including the wires in the backseat areas which the previous owner has cut and I rewired. (Idk why he cut em, his installation and wiring was garbage, antenna dont even go up)

I am still baffled because last night I was lucky I didnt get stopped for driving with no lights whatsoever. I dont plan to experience that again.

Any help is appreciated
Old 10-23-11, 04:54 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you losing power while driving? Or only when the car is sitting with key off?
Old 10-23-11, 05:22 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kalogerus
I installed it a week back. almost the same setup, but I rewired the speakers yesterday. I remember while tryina connect the front pass speaker I connected the whites to the factory whites under the passenger carpet(which go to the factory amp), the radio would only turn on and off and would make the pass front speaker make a slight pop sound everytime it comes on so i just ran a wire to speaker.

Everything else is wired in the car including the wires in the backseat areas which the previous owner has cut and I rewired. (Idk why he cut em, his installation and wiring was garbage, antenna dont even go up)

I am still baffled because last night I was lucky I didnt get stopped for driving with no lights whatsoever. I dont plan to experience that again.

Any help is appreciated
lol whoever put my deck in botched the antenna too...anyway did the problem only start after you ran the wire directly from the deck to the speakers? How is everything else working
Old 10-23-11, 09:23 PM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

Yes I am also losing power while driving. Problem started after the rewiring process, but I am not 100% sure that its rewiring the speakers, I never kept the radio on that long before wiring up the speakers. I got the battery recharged today and will take off the radio tomorrow and test drive it around the block a few times see what happens. Also I will test the alternator to narrow down the diagnoses.

I was reading around the forum and somebody had the same problem and the first question asked was if he installed an aftermarket headunit. He tested the alternator and it was good. Dude didnt install a headunit and I didnt find an answer there. Is there something im unaware of about hooking up an aftermarket unit that might cause this issue?
Old 10-23-11, 09:50 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The alternators on our SC's love to go bad (the regulator goes), but they test ok in simple quick tests. Try running the car for a while at idle with a DMM on the battery and record what happens after a good 30 minutes of idling to rule out the alternator. If the voltage begins to drop after a while then I would lean towards the alternator. Happened to me and took me forever to isolate it!
Old 10-23-11, 10:18 PM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

I actually just tested the alternator by pulling the positive (red) cable off the battery while on idle, car still on so alternator seems to be working.

Tomorrow Ill take her to autozone get it tested there after class to make sure it really isnt the alternator. Ill also get a DMM from there and record the readings while am at it.

Im really not sure why those wires were cut in the backseat area, I will take a picture of them tomorrow and post it as well.

appreciate the replies.
Old 10-24-11, 02:07 PM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

I removed the radio today, things seem to be working fine, dude at autozone told me there must be a positive ground somewhere, suggested I ground the radio to the battery and remove every extra wires (which I did except for the one below)

Theres a blue wire that the previous owner installed which connects to ignition instead of the grey wire (which is currently connected), it goes somewhere in the door wire jam, i dont know where exactly it connects to (will trace it sometime this week)

EDIT: The blue wire was connected to the fuse box under the driver carpet to the wipers fuse. Took it off as theres no need for it. Also removed all other extra wires that I know I wont need. Factory sub is also disconnected from factory sub amp (I assume he had it connected to an aftermarket amp).

Anyway this is a pic of the wires that were cut in the passenger side backseat area, can somebody clarify what these wires are responsible for? As of now thats the only thing that I can think off that might be causing a problem, dude had an aftermarket unit with them cut and didnt have a problem, I dont want to risk cutting them and drive around with radio on then get stuck with no power.

EDIT2: I was just looking at the wires and realized that the yellow and blue were connected somewhere from before, I dont remember where I remember cutting them from wherever they were connected and hooking them up to the other original cable. I feel I am close to bringing this problem to an end. I am almost certain its in that area.

I will post DMM results tomorrow, I didnt get a chance to do it today.

http://i51.tinypic.com/2e3ohaa.jpg

Last edited by Kalogerus; 10-24-11 at 08:36 PM.
Old 10-24-11, 09:24 PM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

I just drove the car, radio is not connected and still battery drained on me. I think its something to do with the HID's or fog lights as one of them comes on sometimes and other times it remains off. Playing with it too much make them twitch then go off all at once. I turned high beams on and drove home, now battery drained.

I thought I was close turns out m far from close and radio had nothing to do with it although it started with the radio. It wasnt as bad as when radio was connected. I know theres a lose wire or a positive ground somewhere sigh

Last edited by Kalogerus; 10-24-11 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04-24-22, 04:32 PM
EzeSc300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kalogerus
I just drove the car, radio is not connected and still battery drained on me. I think its something to do with the HID's or fog lights as one of them comes on sometimes and other times it remains off. Playing with it too much make them twitch then go off all at once. I turned high beams on and drove home, now battery drained.

I thought I was close turns out m far from close and radio had nothing to do with it although it started with the radio. It wasnt as bad as when radio was connected. I know theres a lose wire or a positive ground somewhere sigh

Any Update on this? I’m currently having this problem in my SC 300
I installed a radio and wired it in the car and it hasn’t played sound so i reframed from cutting and splicing even more