Sponsored by:

Upgrading mids with HD 600/4

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-11, 11:33 AM
Plang
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading mids with HD 600/4

I have the 2001 GS 300 with Nav (added 4th gen computer) and the premium sound system (pioneer speakers).

I have already added a JL Audio HD750/1 amp to power a JL 12w7 in a "HO Wedge box" made by JL. Sounds loud, but takes up my whole trunk.

I just bought the JL Audio HD 600/4 amp in an effort to really boost my mids and highs. From my brief research here, it seems that the door speakers are all 4" but with modification can fit up to 6"?

I'm in the process now of planning my speaker upgrade for the 600/4 amp. I saw the thread on the Nakamichi replacement for the 2001 GS, but I think it may be different for the pioneer system.

Does anyone have recommendations on what type of replacement speakers I can get, best quality, that will fit without any major customization?

I'm afraid of what to buy based on it not fitting. I'm currently scheduled to take my car to SS Audio here in Las Vegas to wire the amp and get the speakers. This is supposed to happen Next Saturday. I guess they are going to see what size speakers fit when they'll do the install and use one of the brands they have in stock.

I'm a little worried about that. To save money, I'd rather buy the best product online and have them do the install only.

I'd also like a recommendation for a good car audio shop in Vegas in case any of you know.

Thanks a bunch!
Old 10-07-11, 11:58 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

Have you tried the Crutchfield site? That's where I found the information about my ES-350 door speakers and which adapters to use. I used a Metra adapter to mount 6.5" mids in a 6x9 opening.

You live in LV but use JL? No love for hometown company Fi Car Audio?
Old 10-07-11, 12:01 PM
Plang
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Robert_J
Have you tried the Crutchfield site? That's where I found the information about my ES-350 door speakers and which adapters to use. I used a Metra adapter to mount 6.5" mids in a 6x9 opening.

You live in LV but use JL? No love for hometown company Fi Car Audio?
Thanks.

This is the first I've heard of Fi Car Audio. I'm gonna look them up now
Old 10-07-11, 12:10 PM
Plang
Driver School Candidate

Damn, Fi car audio seems pretty tight! I'm going to try and visit their shop.

That'll be my next sub...but I'm stuck with the huge 12w7 box for now...until I eaither blow it or sell it, but I'm bad at selling used equipment! I usually just get stuck with it
Old 10-07-11, 01:25 PM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

They have no shop, just a warehouse. Even if you do find them, I doubt that they will let you in. Sort of like finding the Lexus factory and getting to just walk in. Fi doesn't even publish a phone number. They do have a forum at SSA where you can ask questions and employees will answer.

The owner is Scott Atwell. If you haven't heard of him, he owned Resonant Engineering before selling it to US Amps. He designed the current model XXX sub for them.

Fi is the custom online brand. Ascendant Audio is their retail brand for shops. They also build subs for SSA's own brand as well as a few others.

Finally, I don't knock JL. They provide a great product but price it like a luxury item. If you have an issue you won't get to talk to Manville Smith. If you have an issue with one of these smaller companies there is a good chance that if you don't talk to the owner, he will immediately know about it. Other companies to check out besides Fi:
Incriminator Audio - Great subs and amps. One of the few companies offering a 21" sub.
Sundown Audio - Again, great subs and amps. Jacob is an awesome guy to deal with.
PSI Car Audio - The owner, David, worked for Scott at RE and went with it as president when sold to US Amps. He moved back near his hometown and opened a custom sub shop. His forum is a Car Audio Classified dot org
Fix My Speaker - David's other online venture. Blow up one of these expensive subs and he can repair it. Or he can custom build you a "franken-sub" from parts you provide. Here's my TC Sounds/Konaki 15" monster. The Konaki is a Chinese knock-off of a Digital Designs (another company for you to check out) motor. At 65 pounds and 11" in diameter, it's one of the biggest 3" coil motors on the market.

Old 10-07-11, 01:51 PM
Plang
Driver School Candidate

Great info, thanks. Also saved me a trip...I was planning on going by Fi after work.

Luckily, with my JL equipment, I got it at cost through a friend that works at an authorized dealer. But it was still pricy!

Hopefully I'll have a "franken-sub" of my own someday soon.
Old 10-08-11, 07:11 AM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Plang
I just bought the JL Audio HD 600/4 amp in an effort to really boost my mids and highs. From my brief research here, it seems that the door speakers are all 4" but with modification can fit up to 6"?
You can use these, I used them:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/6-Spe...item483a7bbbe8

and

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/6-Spe...item483a7bbbde

This will allow you to go up to 5 1/4 + 6 1/2. Im running Polk MM6501 6.75 and Polk MM651 6.5 with these adapters with no modification.

Make sure you seal off around the adapters to the door to prevent leakage and rattle. Also if you are running that much power to the doors, you'll want to look into some sound deadening.

If you take pictures before and after install, This seller refunds half your money. All you have to do is email him, he responds pretty quickly. I used his adapters for my girlfriend's car, and he responded quickly. I already have them in my car but Im pulling it all apart again for dynamat so I told him I would take pictures again.

Best of luck, its always a fun project. Fortunately, I find it to be probably the easiest car Ive ever swapped speakers on.

Last edited by Rippaflow; 10-08-11 at 07:21 AM.
Old 10-10-11, 02:51 PM
Plang
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Rippaflow. I ordered the adapters for front and back.

I'm having install scheduled for this saturday, so hopefully I get them by then. If not, I'll just have the installers put in some sound deadening on that day (both doors and trunk - been meaning to do the trunk), and re-schedule for the speaker install.

I wish I had a better shop. The only "Top 100" installer in Vegas is listed to work at Findly Customs, but I heard some not so great things from people here about that place...how they'll have your car for days on end.

So I've visited a couple of places and settled with SS Audio. So I hope they work out ok.
Old 10-13-11, 08:10 PM
Plang
Driver School Candidate

Damn Rippaflow, I ended up getting what you have. Both adapters and the both Polks.

Went to a new installation place. They tried to sell me on Kickers high-end mids, the QS line I think, for like $500 each set. But I saw the Polks on sale on the internet, and Fry's audio by my place does a internet price match so i just bought them there on good discount.

So far, the last three shops I've been do have the same response when I request sound deadening on the doors and trunk: "...it's a Lexus! You don't need that" I'm like willing to pay and they're shooting it down!
Old 10-13-11, 11:22 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't have a GS but here is what I did. As far as the matting, I used it anyway because I didn't want to get it later and regret not getting it the first time. It does add weight but I don't rattle with my W7. Just thought I'd show you my thread to get ideas. I know you're not looking to take up all your trunk. I had a 750/1 HD prior and upgraded to the 1200/1 HD. I used Hertz speakers and love them. It was between the Hertz and the JL Audio. Good luck on your choices ( cause there are SO many).https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...with-pics.html
Old 10-14-11, 09:51 AM
Plang
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sffd103
I don't have a GS but here is what I did. As far as the matting, I used it anyway because I didn't want to get it later and regret not getting it the first time. It does add weight but I don't rattle with my W7. Just thought I'd show you my thread to get ideas. I know you're not looking to take up all your trunk. I had a 750/1 HD prior and upgraded to the 1200/1 HD. I used Hertz speakers and love them. It was between the Hertz and the JL Audio. Good luck on your choices ( cause there are SO many).https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...with-pics.html
Yeah, I actually looked through your thread last night. Clean set-up man...and made me feel better about my 12w7 and the possibilities it holds...like sounding even better with the higher amp. A few months ago when I purchased and had the 750/1 and 12w7 installed, they were like 'don't turn the bass all the way up or you'll blow your sub'....but you blew your amp and sounds like the 1200/1 is great for the 12w7!

I'm telling you, it's getting hard finding a good install place out here in Vegas. I'm about to leave my fourth option, and now leaning towards a friend of mine who is a good handy man and says he's good with audio - a passion of his. I contacted Fi Audio about their subs and to also ask them about install in Vegas since they're based here. They recommended "Stephen" from "DFG". I can't find anything on the net about "DFG" or Stephen! I'm awaiting the next e-mail from them for the clarification!
Old 10-14-11, 10:39 AM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Fi BL Sub Fully Loaded got it for around $250
it can take 2100 watt rms daily which is nice. i use to be a jl head but it go so expensive x_x" i did blow up a few jl amp in my time :O. Im not going to lie but jl component sets are really good. I was looking at the C2 series i heard the C5 series are super crazy. I say if your a lil hands on try doing it yourself. Im sure there are many tutorial here on CL to help you on your journey!!!! Good luck with everything and tell us how it goes!!!

Old 10-14-11, 11:18 AM
Plang
Driver School Candidate

Here's the 12w7 and box I got. It sounds good, but is so damn big! It was hard fitting it in the trunk...it ended up going in upside down.

It is pushing right up against the stock sub...I don't know why they didn't remove it, but it will be removed when I install the 600/4 amp and speakers. The 750/1 amp is behind the box, I believe against the back of the seat. The 600/4 will go there too I believe.
Attached Thumbnails Upgrading mids with HD 600/4-ho-box.jpg   Upgrading mids with HD 600/4-w7howedge_tech.jpg