Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Speaker works but it doesn't work- NEED HELP!

Old 08-12-11, 10:24 AM
kmy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speaker works but it doesn't work- NEED HELP!

-00 Gs400 w/factory Cd player/changer
-Interior Speakers - Alpine SPR-134A
-Control by 4 ch. Xtant Amp

Few days ago I heard rattles/noise coming from my driver side rear speaker. Then yesterday I open it up to check and the SUB is not working. The tweeter still works fine. Its 2way Alpine speakers. Each speaker has a CrossOver. I tested the speaker with my garage stereo and both the tweeter and sub works like new. So now I'm thinking it may be the SUB-out on the CrossOver that might not function well. Got a set of AudioBahn CrossOver to replace it and nope. The SUB still is not working. Tweeter works fine. I check the speaker wires to the amp and re-stripped them all but nope. Still got no signal to the SUB-out. Have no idea whats wrong now.

What else can I check?

Alpine SPR-134A w/Alpine Crossover

4ch Xtant Amp & Wiring

Old 08-12-11, 02:52 PM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

That's not a sub. That's more of a mid-bass.

Never swap out a crossover designed for your speakers for one that isn't. Do you know what the crossover point was on that Audiobahn? Do you know the slope? Do you know the impedance it was designed for?

I tested the speaker with my garage stereo and both the tweeter and sub works like new.
Sounds like a loose wire. I see that you used crimp-on spades. Why didn't you solder? That's a much more reliable connection.
Old 08-12-11, 08:40 PM
kmy
Driver

I understand the using a different CrossCover may not be the best but why can't my mid-bass work?

If there is a loose wire its got to be only the one coming from the amp which is a + & - only. The input to the crossover is a +/- wire. Out put is tweeter +/- and midbass +/-. So its hard to say its a loose wire. I tried hooking both the tweeter & midbass to the crossover and use the signal from my garage stereo to the crossover. It works perfectly fine. Both tweeter & midbass.
Old 08-12-11, 11:14 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Question

Where are you getting your signal from? That would be where I would start looking. The settings on the amp appear to have the balance input turned on for the front, yet off for the rear. Did you flip this by mistake?

Big Mack
Old 08-12-11, 11:49 PM
kmy
Driver

I'm getting my signals from the 4ch amp. If the channel input is turned off for the rear speakers, why do I still get sound from my passenger side rear speaker? All 3 speakers work properly except that one speaker's midbass is not working. I'm 100% sure I did not flip that switch bc this amp is nicely mounted vertical in the trunk and the speaker's midbass went out b4 I unmount the amp.
Old 08-13-11, 12:07 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by kmy
I'm getting my signals from the 4ch amp.
No no...where are you getting the signal from to feed the amp? I'm well aware that the amp is feeding the components - that's your output, not the signal.

And in the balanced mode, it may read the signal for the highs, but not the mids, depending on the topology of the balance. If the other side works right, though, don't sweat it.

Big Mack
Old 08-13-11, 05:58 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Perhaps your issue is with the midbass all along... When the coils go bad, they can fail a number of ways, but one way is that they short out internally, changing the impedance to either very high or very low... There is also a possibility that there is a break where the lead wires go into the cone of the speaker...

Forget the crossover for a little bit and see what happens... midbasses don't even need crossovers, as they roll off naturally, though it won't sound good unless the tweeter is matched for this... but either way - run it without a crossover at all and see what happens...

When you hooked the speaker up to your garage stereo, how does it sound? I realize its not mounted, but, does it rattle, or does it actually sound like music...
Old 08-15-11, 09:02 AM
kmy
Driver

Weird. I disconnected the speaker for 2days and put it back on today it WORKS now. May have something to do with re-stripping the wires at the amp but who knows. I never mess with the amp's settings. I'll need to solder the connections sometime due to short circuit issues. At least it works now.

On the other hand, I bought my car with this sound system so I'm not 100% sure how its install. I'm most likely sure that the 4ch amp is getting its signal from the Main amp that powers my Subwoofers. Answering a Q above, when I hook it up to my garage stereo it works fine but sounds like $5 thrifty speakers bc the sound quality from my garage stereo sucks and it doesn't rattle. It screws tightly into where the oem speaker was in.