Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Whats the Specifications of Amp in Mark Levinson Premium Sound System for 2nd Gen GS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-11, 08:07 PM
Blk03GS430
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Whats the Specifications of Amp in Mark Levinson Premium Sound System for 2nd Gen GS?

Can someone please tell me the Specifications of the Amp in the Mark Levinson Premium Sound System for 2001-2005 GS430 with Navigation? I did some searching in this forum, Lexus and Mark Levinson website and the only information that I found about the Mark Levinson Premium Sound System is:

Available Mark Levinson® 10-speaker 240-watt Premium Audio System with Automatic Sound Levelizer (ASL) and six-disc CD auto-changer.

I even tried calling and emailing Lexus & Mark Levinson and no one knows the specifications of the amp. Its like a big secret. I think its easier for me to find out the recipe for Coca Cola soft drink or the KFC Original fried chicken recipe.

If the sound system is a total of 240 watts than how many regular watts and watts rms are going to the subwoofer? Any information about the Amp would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Last edited by Blk03GS430; 06-26-11 at 01:01 AM.
Old 06-25-11, 10:53 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Question

Beside the obvious, what are you trying to figure out? What the speakers can handle, or what you can put in there?

Big Mack
Old 06-26-11, 12:55 AM
Blk03GS430
Rookie

Im trying to figure out how the specifications of the amp like ohms, total amount of watts and watts rms it is rated for. Also the amount of power the amp is pushing out specifically to the factory 10" 8 ohm ML sub in watts and watts rms.

Last edited by Blk03GS430; 06-26-11 at 01:03 AM.
Old 07-08-19, 08:41 AM
AirRideFan
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blk03GS430
Im trying to figure out how the specifications of the amp like ohms, total amount of watts and watts rms it is rated for. Also the amount of power the amp is pushing out specifically to the factory 10" 8 ohm ML sub in watts and watts rms.
I'd love to know this, also. Does anybody know if the stock ML amp will push a 10-inch JL Audio IB4 free-air subwoofer okay or not? (I have one, 8-ohm...new in the box) Also--- what about running a 4-ohm sub on the ML amp? Would it blow up, immediately ya think? lol
Old 12-26-19, 09:12 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I had my Stock sub go out in my GS430 with NAV Mark Levinson. From extensive research 8ohm will work but will eventually burn out your amp, many people have done this already. The 4 ohm is even worse. (I had an audio shop confirm this, the STOCK SUB in the Mark Levinson is a 16 OHM subs..) This is a very hard sub to find aftermarket wise. Like i said i've done probably 1 week of research so far and have found a few speaker that may work thats similiar configuration but its not an even swap out. Theres a few Guitar Speakers and PA loud speakers operating at 16 ohms but their Bass resonance frequency to too high around 50-70hz. We actually need a Subwoofer that is 25-45hz.. 45 hz being the highest. And also another factor is (was the subwoofer designed for Infinite Baffle which is same as FREE-AIR..?)

In my youth, I managed a car stereo outfit for a few years, all my cars was the Demo vehicle & show car for the shop and I often competed in USAC / IASCA competitions.. So I know a few things and using my past knowledge with recent research to find an adequate replacement to the ML problem.. I have one or two subs i'm considering but its not an 100% match to the stock ML sub...

I'm almost to the point of saying "FFFF it" and just add an aftermarket amp just for an after market sub to be added to the car for more simpler solution..

Like i said, I read many people running 8 ohms sub but eventually their amp died.. So, i'm not gonna burn up my $3000 ML amp. Some people have done this so its up to each person to risk it or not but me personally i'll find another way if you value your stock setup.. IF you want to gut the ML system, the world is your oyster..