IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Mark Levinson Sound System hurt my ears

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-12, 10:44 PM
peyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mark Levinson Sound System hurt my ears

just purchased a is350 with the ML sound system (coming from a BOSE system in my infiniti)

no matter how much i play with the settings, i feel like the sound is just too sharp for my ears, it actually hurts, i can tolerate loud music and have all my life, but i just cant tolerate the ML sound system. my gf says it hurts her ears too

anyone else feel the same way?
Old 08-05-12, 10:46 PM
mililani00
Pole Position

not me, it seems to soft. i know i dont want to bust my speakers or amp (vol below 30)
Old 08-05-12, 10:56 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't have it in my car personally, but i've heard it in other members cars and it sounds perfectly fine too me!
Old 08-05-12, 10:58 PM
kim0217
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by peyman
just purchased a is350 with the ML sound system (coming from a BOSE system in my infiniti)

no matter how much i play with the settings, i feel like the sound is just too sharp for my ears, it actually hurts, i can tolerate loud music and have all my life, but i just cant tolerate the ML sound system. my gf says it hurts her ears too

Buy a porsche or Benz with burmester and B&O
Old 08-05-12, 11:02 PM
rsg
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My family had an LS430 with ML and it sounded incredible. I wish I had shopped around more and found an IS at my price point with ML (and adaptive cruise).
Old 08-05-12, 11:45 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Probably not used to it because ML sounds like Harmon Kardon (HK owns ML) and I own a HK A/V receiver so they sound similar if not identical.

Last edited by Sango; 08-07-12 at 08:11 AM.
Old 08-06-12, 06:35 AM
Duke02
Driver

I actually really like the ML. It's a bit bright but I haven't found it overbearing and the bass is deep without being boomy
Old 08-07-12, 08:17 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds perfect to me. It hurts your ears no matter the audio source (e.g. CD, FM radio, SAT radio, etc.)?
Old 08-07-12, 08:48 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If it is a new car, then the new tweeters are breaking in. Yes. Speakers do break in. Tweeters, esp silk tweeters will mellow out, and woofers actually get better in the lower range.
Old 08-07-12, 08:50 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sango
Probably not used to it because ML sounds like Harmon Kardon (HK owns ML) and I own a HK A/V receiver so they sound similar if not identical.
All SS amplifiers sound the same or so the audio professionals claim. Now if you bump up the treble to the max, some might have a higher max than others.
Old 08-07-12, 09:24 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

If u want ill trade u my regular system for ur ML lol
Old 08-07-12, 10:07 AM
balanced
Driver

Originally Posted by Sango
That's gotta be the most riduculas thing I've ever heard. By that stance, a Porsche should drive just like a VW - Since VW owns them now... Does your Lexus drive like a Toyota?

First of all, comparing M-L to H-K is crazy. While cost doesn't always equal quality, if you are going to compare a "average" ML home system that would cost $20,000 to your "average" HK home system that cost what....$2000. Then maybe your ears really shouldn't be the ones deciding if one is "better" than the other.

I've reviewed high end stereo equipment for manufactures before it was released to the public and for magizines after it was released. I've gotten paid for my "audio" opinion. ML sounds NOTHING like HK.

I will say this though....when it comes to sound beauty is in the ear of the beholder. Some don't have ears like others and some have lost some of their hearing (me included - I dont review anymore). ML is known for accurate reproduction of music. Their home equipment doesn't even have a bass or treble control....why?....becuase it's right to start with.

Regardless of who makes it or how much it cost, if you don't like it, change it, if you do...well... keep it!
Old 08-07-12, 10:13 AM
A_Grasso
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both you and your gf will get used to it after time my ex loved it!
Old 08-07-12, 10:25 AM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Try adjusting the audio settings so the sound is directed more towards the rear. Even though I don't have an ML system, I thought that the front speakers were louder than the rear passenger speakers. When I sat in the backseat to hear what it sounded like back there, I could definitely tell that the front was louder than the rear speakers. So I adjusted the sound so that both front and rear speakers were at the same volume.
Old 08-07-12, 10:31 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
All SS amplifiers sound the same or so the audio professionals claim. Now if you bump up the treble to the max, some might have a higher max than others.
There is a debate on it, it depends on the implementation and so forth.

Originally Posted by balanced
That's gotta be the most riduculas thing I've ever heard. By that stance, a Porsche should drive just like a VW - Since VW owns them now... Does your Lexus drive like a Toyota?

First of all, comparing M-L to H-K is crazy. While cost doesn't always equal quality, if you are going to compare a "average" ML home system that would cost $20,000 to your "average" HK home system that cost what....$2000. Then maybe your ears really shouldn't be the ones deciding if one is "better" than the other.

I've reviewed high end stereo equipment for manufactures before it was released to the public and for magizines after it was released. I've gotten paid for my "audio" opinion. ML sounds NOTHING like HK.

I will say this though....when it comes to sound beauty is in the ear of the beholder. Some don't have ears like others and some have lost some of their hearing (me included - I dont review anymore). ML is known for accurate reproduction of music. Their home equipment doesn't even have a bass or treble control....why?....becuase it's right to start with.

Regardless of who makes it or how much it cost, if you don't like it, change it, if you do...well... keep it!
Actually, that's not what I'm saying. I am saying Harmon Industries (I mistaken it as Harmon Kardon, but both are divisions) is the parent if I understand it correctly, that's what I'm referring to HK owns ML which should of been HI. Of course Lexus drives like a Lexus, unless you mean Toyota Motor Corporation which is the parent (instead of Toyota), then we have a difference in meaning. In terms of the car to the receiver they are almost similar but on the same level of playing field, ML comes out on top as the clear distinction.

You're not the only one that gets paid to write high-end systems audio reviews for magazines before they released (or should I say NDA). In fact, my co-worker reviews and publish stuff for even higher end systems than worth almost close to 100K and over and gets to keep some of the stuff. The same co-worker goes to CES and stuff and also shown me what he has given.

Last edited by Sango; 08-07-12 at 11:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson Sound System hurt my ears