Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

ML + MS-8... anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-10, 08:51 PM
Boomtime
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How drastic is the change in the ML system once the MS was installed? Do you prefer it to a complete aftermarket system?
Old 10-14-10, 02:03 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I just installed the MS8 and it's freakn awesome... just a little frustration at the beginning. but after getting around it...it's a couple of minutes or less to retune when adding and removing components. You have to retune because the ms8 measure the speaker output to do it's thing. I'm currently running 5.1 and will move up to 7.1

I bet 7.1 will kick *** with logic7 and having the signal split among those speakers. I recommend a full range center channel... 3.5" and above because this is where the voice and other goody sound comes from. In fact, I'm going to try to fit a 3 way component for the center and let the MS8 recalculate and balance.

it's magic!

any system will benefit because the ms8 will evaluate the output during scanning phase.
Old 10-14-10, 05:49 AM
veleno
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds good sam. Did you install it with the oem system or aftermarket? Any pictures?
Old 10-14-10, 04:38 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by veleno
Sounds good sam. Did you install it with the oem system or aftermarket? Any pictures?
Everything is after market. All speakers are in oem location. Channel 6 and 7 will be drilled in the rear deck. Nothing pretty, wires everywhere in the trunk
Old 10-31-10, 10:04 PM
rpsmith
Driver School Candidate

I'm curious which ML Lexus's you guys are installing successfully. I've heard that some people might be having problems with active noise cancellation in the 2009+ ML IS250s. Anybody installed it in an ML LS460 yet?

Also, does the OEM bluetooth hands-free still work properly after installing the MS8? Without echos heard in the car or on the other end?
Old 11-07-10, 01:28 AM
robertoyou
Advanced

any more updates on install of this u guys?
i got an mtx req in my gs and i love it. i got it for 100 bucks and it gives me pretty good aftermarket quality sound, however im looking for even better sound so im wondering how good this ms8 actually is and if its worth the extra money?
Old 11-07-10, 05:52 AM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by robertoyou
any more updates on install of this u guys?
i got an mtx req in my gs and i love it. i got it for 100 bucks and it gives me pretty good aftermarket quality sound, however im looking for even better sound so im wondering how good this ms8 actually is and if its worth the extra money?

I'll never do a factory integration without one again.
Old 11-08-10, 03:12 PM
rpsmith
Driver School Candidate

Mr Mark -- Do you have any problems with the factory bluetooth in your MS8 system? Any echoes?
Old 04-18-11, 05:10 PM
veleno
Lead Lap

I'm bumping this up again as I'm currently doing the install in my RX350 ('08) this week.

MrMark or Sam430, do you guys have any info on which color wires to tap at the oem amp? I'll replace the door speakers and tweeters and was thinking of leaving the dash speakers just to see if they add anything to the sound.

Last edited by veleno; 04-18-11 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-19-11, 09:06 AM
gsgdbeck
Driver School Candidate

You may want to check out AZ IS350 experience with ML and MS-8 at below link. Another link right above his also has ML / MS-8 experience. Its a bit confusing to me why some people are having such a difficult time with ML / MS-8 while others have no problems. Regardless hope all works out.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...rnal-amps.html (see AZ IS350 response)
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...some-help.html (another ML / MS-8 experience)

Last edited by gsgdbeck; 04-19-11 at 09:13 AM. Reason: more info.
Old 04-21-11, 07:58 AM
Lexinton
Driver

Does anyone know where this can be had outside of the $799 MSRP and NOT fleabay?

And has anyone done this on an OEM ML system? I know it's been posted that it's been completed with aftermarket speakers in the OEM locations, but most systems would sound better from the start if you upgrade the factory speakers regardless. I'm simply looking to be the least amount intrusive to the current set up, since I have a 450GSh which has virtually NO trunk space as it stands and don't want to purchase subs or new speakers for that matter either.
Old 04-21-11, 08:44 AM
rpsmith
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexinton
And has anyone done this on an OEM ML system? I know it's been posted that it's been completed with aftermarket speakers in the OEM locations, but most systems would sound better from the start if you upgrade the factory speakers regardless. I'm simply looking to be the least amount intrusive to the current set up, since I have a 450GSh which has virtually NO trunk space as it stands and don't want to purchase subs or new speakers for that matter either.
This is sort of missing the point of the MS8 for an ML Lexus. The point is to get the same sound quality of the ML system (or maybe a little better), but with bigger dynamic range. In other words, more volume. The only way to actually get more more volume is with better speakers and external amps. As far as sound quality alone, I doubt the MS8 is going to be hugely better than your stock ML system; they are both made by the same company after all. Even if there is some improvement, it's not worth the time and effort and money to install it -- unless you are improving other aspects of your system.

Now for other cars that don't have ML, the MS8 would be worth it by itself.
Old 04-22-11, 05:16 AM
veleno
Lead Lap

Lexinton,

PM me if you want a BNIB MS-8 for less than MSRP.
Old 04-22-11, 10:07 AM
bobsobi
Driver

Originally Posted by rpsmith
This is sort of missing the point of the MS8 for an ML Lexus...As far as sound quality alone, I doubt the MS8 is going to be hugely better than your stock ML system; they are both made by the same company after all. Even if there is some improvement, it's not worth the time and effort and money to install it -- unless you are improving other aspects of your system.

Now for other cars that don't have ML, the MS8 would be worth it by itself.
I'm not sure I'd agree with that. My 2009 ES ML system has a 5.1 FR curve that seems to be EQ'd more for movie sound tracks than music, including a huge booming hump in the third and fourth octaves (~140Hz to 250Hz) and additional problems in the upper midrange, that can't be tamed with the existing tone controls.

Currently I have to rip, re-equalize and burn my 5.1 discs to make the system listenable. If I could easily install the MS8 to the existing equipment with a minimum of fuss and get a flat, accurate FR curve, I'd consider it.
Old 04-22-11, 06:25 PM
rpsmith
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bobsobi
I'm not sure I'd agree with that. My 2009 ES ML system has a 5.1 FR curve that seems to be EQ'd more for movie sound tracks than music, including a huge booming hump in the third and fourth octaves (~140Hz to 250Hz) and additional problems in the upper midrange, that can't be tamed with the existing tone controls.

Currently I have to rip, re-equalize and burn my 5.1 discs to make the system listenable. If I could easily install the MS8 to the existing equipment with a minimum of fuss and get a flat, accurate FR curve, I'd consider it.
Good point. I stand corrected. However, I do think my statement is correct for the ML system in the ls460, which probably has algorithms similar to the ms8 to begin with.

Quick Reply: ML + MS-8... anyone?