Sponsored by:

ML + MS-8... anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-11, 06:28 PM
Lexinton
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rpsmith
This is sort of missing the point of the MS8 for an ML Lexus. The point is to get the same sound quality of the ML system (or maybe a little better), but with bigger dynamic range. In other words, more volume. The only way to actually get more more volume is with better speakers and external amps. As far as sound quality alone, I doubt the MS8 is going to be hugely better than your stock ML system; they are both made by the same company after all. Even if there is some improvement, it's not worth the time and effort and money to install it -- unless you are improving other aspects of your system.

Now for other cars that don't have ML, the MS8 would be worth it by itself.

I thought this at first as well, but when going on the JBL website and seeing them instal this on this on an IS250 (being all stock) is what got me thinking that this could further enhance the stock system. So that's why I asked...
Old 04-24-11, 08:08 PM
rpsmith
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexinton
I thought this at first as well, but when going on the JBL website and seeing them instal this on this on an IS250 (being all stock) is what got me thinking that this could further enhance the stock system. So that's why I asked...
I think it will definitely help with the stock IS250 system.

The MS8 has world-class algorithms for auto-equalization and channel steering, so it will be a huge improvement for most cars. However, the ML system in the LS460 is also made by Harman/JBL/Mark Levinson. Being the flagship audio system for lexus, and perhaps the most highly regarded factory system on the planet, it probably incorporates the results of algorithms similar to those used on the MS8. For the LS460/ML, therefore, the MS-8 would only be worth it if you are also upgrading your dynamic capability (speakers+amps).

But yeah, for the IS250 or any other Lexus the MS8 is going to work nicely. One thing to be cautious about: if you have a stock system that has a stock sub (8" or bigger), and you want to put an MS-8 in alone, I would advise getting at least a small class-D sub amp to separately drive the stock sub. The MS-8 puts out 20w/ch on its high level outputs, and even a stock system generally has more output than that going to its sub. You don't want to compromise the dynamic range of your sub bass, because that will affect the response, range, and tonality of the whole system.

Last edited by rpsmith; 04-24-11 at 08:18 PM.
Old 04-24-11, 11:34 PM
AZ IS350
Pole Position

But yeah, for the IS250 or any other Lexus the MS8 is going to work nicely.
Caution: I've tried the MS-8 in a 2IS non-ML, with NAV. In short, it doesn't work so well with certain systems, unless you're willing to make some compromises.

You can read about it here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6315241-post6.html

It may work well in other Lexus vehicles, and apparently it works well with non-Nav systems. I've traded emails with the guy that owns the 2IS in the JBL videos (he's a Harman employee). Guess what? That IS is a non-NAV unit, and it's not bone stock either.

A high level guy at Harman confirmed my issues, so it's not user error, but I would like to hear more details from some in this thread (Mr. Mark) on how they got it to work.
Old 04-25-11, 12:09 AM
rpsmith
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AZ IS350
Caution: I've tried the MS-8 in a 2IS non-ML, with NAV. In short, it doesn't work so well with certain systems, unless you're willing to make some compromises.

You can read about it here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6315241-post6.html
That's too bad. I posted some replies in the other thread.

Originally Posted by AZ IS350
A high level guy at Harman confirmed my issues, so it's not user error, but I would like to hear more details from some in this thread (Mr. Mark) on how they got it to work.
I'd like to hear from him as well.
Old 04-25-11, 07:18 PM
Lexinton
Driver

Wow...interesting indeed. That's a bit misleading from JBL, don't you think? The way that they presented the video, it seemed as though that IS was stock. Thought the whole concept was to integrate into an OEM factory system to increase its real 'potential' without having to change any of its components.

And I should have clarified. The vehicle that I'm looking at installing this into is a 07 GS450h with the ML/Nav setup.
Old 04-26-11, 08:12 AM
rpsmith
Driver School Candidate

And I should have clarified. The vehicle that I'm looking at installing this into is a 07 GS450h with the ML/Nav setup.
If you have a button to disable the DSP like I do in the LS460/ML, then it'll probably work fine like it did for Mr Mark.
Old 01-11-12, 10:25 AM
w0rtez
Rookie

Hello,

anyone with a good experience on this, what tweeters/speakers should i buy if i got one damaged, with no modification at all, just replace wrong one and put the new one in a ML system.

Thanks
Old 01-11-12, 12:53 PM
bigaudiofa
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by w0rtez
Hello,

anyone with a good experience on this, what tweeters/speakers should i buy if i got one damaged, with no modification at all, just replace wrong one and put the new one in a ML system.

Thanks
The newer version of firmware has fixed some of the problems between the ML and the MS8. Here is my example of it
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...dio-build.html

Worked out really well.

If you are worried about summing all the channels or the bit rate go with the bitone, it takes a lot more time to setup however there is a lot more control over everything.
Old 01-11-12, 12:54 PM
bigaudiofa
Driver School Candidate

If you have a button to disable the DSP like I do in the LS460/ML, then it'll probably work fine like it did for Mr Mark.
Correct disabling the factory DSP is a MUST to get the best sound quality and for the MS8 to actually work right.
Old 01-12-12, 05:52 AM
w0rtez
Rookie

Originally Posted by bigaudiofa
The newer version of firmware has fixed some of the problems between the ML and the MS8. Here is my example of it
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...dio-build.html

Worked out really well.

If you are worried about summing all the channels or the bit rate go with the bitone, it takes a lot more time to setup however there is a lot more control over everything.
You did an outstanding job there, but thats too much work to do, i just want to replace speakers with no modification at all...
Old 01-12-12, 12:12 PM
bigaudiofa
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by w0rtez
You did an outstanding job there, but thats too much work to do, i just want to replace speakers with no modification at all...
As long as you power your new speakers through the MS8 I do not see why you could not. However that is still a mod.
Old 01-13-12, 06:06 AM
w0rtez
Rookie

Originally Posted by bigaudiofa
As long as you power your new speakers through the MS8 I do not see why you could not. However that is still a mod.
Few more questions:
1. Where can i buy with a good price the MS8
2. What speakers are best replacements for OEM (using just plug and play)
2a. I saw someone saying this was speaker was a good replacement: Pioneer TS-SW841D 8inches and will fit well.

Thanks