Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

2010 LS 460: Low max volume on ML system?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-10, 09:29 PM
peteronyc
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 2010 LS 460: Low max volume on ML system?

Just got my new 2010 LS 460 delivered last week and am a big fan of the ML system inside - in fact that's a big reason I bought the car. That said, I'm finding that on certain quieter recordings including some classical stuff that I'm hitting the max volume and wanting more. I have a 2001 GS300 as well and its ML system has a trigger that protects the system if it's cranked too hard.

I'm wondering did they just put in an artificially low max volume in order to keep people from blowing equipment in the new(er) ML systems? Is there a gain adjustment somewhere in the system to up the max volume?

Thanks for any help
Old 07-16-10, 03:08 PM
veleno
Lead Lap

I doubt there's any gain adjustment for volume BICBW.

If this only happens with certain songs and does get loud with other songs then the system is functioning properly and the issue is with the recording
Old 07-18-10, 10:56 AM
LXurious
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Buying an Full Band EQ will help u adjust those tunes. Unless u wanna Get a CleanSweep and replace ur door speakers and amp
Old 07-18-10, 11:48 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by LXurious
Buying an Full Band EQ will help u adjust those tunes. Unless u wanna Get a CleanSweep and replace ur door speakers and amp
Absolutely 100% incorrect. You cannot integrate an aftermarket equalizer in line between the deck and the DSP/amp. It is a CAN-BUS system.

Veleno is correct - your source material is what is affecting the output levels. Some are recorded well, others not so much.

Big Mack
Old 07-23-10, 04:38 PM
peteronyc
Rookie

Thanks for the input - though I'd have to disagree that just because the levels aren't up in the red in the final mix that the recording quality isn't up to snuff. There are some superb TELARC classical recording that have big dynamic range; the quiet sections are supposed to be quiet.

But I'm not worried about the recordings - I'm ticked the "450 watts" so frequently advertised isn't fully tapped from the volume control. It's poor design and I want to know why
Old 07-23-10, 05:27 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by peteronyc
Thanks for the input - though I'd have to disagree that just because the levels aren't up in the red in the final mix that the recording quality isn't up to snuff. There are some superb TELARC classical recording that have big dynamic range; the quiet sections are supposed to be quiet.
It's not that the recordings aren't up to snuff. It's that they're recorded at lower levels than other discs. Discs that are AAA or AAD will not have the same levels as those that are DAD or DDD quality. A and D are for digital for those who are not familiar. Tel-Arc stuff is excellent quality as far as the sound goes, but the levels may not be as high.

But I'm not worried about the recordings - I'm ticked the "450 watts" so frequently advertised isn't fully tapped from the volume control. It's poor design and I want to know why
It's not a poor design. That is the wattage the system is rated at - in peak power and zero bit levels. How do you achieve those? Well, unless you frequently run test signals, you won't. The system is designed to complement the car, but will certainly not put any 450 watt receivers to shame any time soon when it comes to loudness or ability to envelope you in sound, that's for sure.

Big Mack
Old 07-24-10, 05:03 AM
peteronyc
Rookie

"It's not a poor design. That is the wattage the system is rated at - in peak power and zero bit levels."

Actually, Lexus indicates the system is 450 watts "continuous average power; all channels driven, at less than .1% THD from 20-20,000 Hz." Peak ideally should be somewhere near double that. Do you have other information the 450 is peak?

"The system is designed to complement the car, but will certainly not put any 450 watt receivers to shame any time soon when it comes to loudness or ability to envelope you in sound, that's for sure."

Given the power from the ML system is coming entirely from separate amplifiers, it BETTER put a 450 watt receiver to shame, or any individual car audio receiver for that matter. Though I doubt any credible car audio manufacturers are making 450 watt receivers. Any system competing with this one needs separate amps for juice.

The point remains, the earlier (early 2000s?) ML systems had protection circuitry in place that gave you enough room to turn it up. Now they've artificially limited that in current systems so the output levels don't stress the amps. It's not an ideal design
Old 07-24-10, 12:25 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Actually, Lexus indicates the system is 450 watts "continuous average power; all channels driven, at less than .1% THD from 20-20,000 Hz." Peak ideally should be somewhere near double that. Do you have other information the 450 is peak?
It is measured at a zero bit level, which you cannot duplicate (it's test tones). This means you will not realize 450 watts out of the system. And I doubt it's going to be double that unless you are hammering it.

Given the power from the ML system is coming entirely from separate amplifiers, it BETTER put a 450 watt receiver to shame, or any individual car audio receiver for that matter. Though I doubt any credible car audio manufacturers are making 450 watt receivers. Any system competing with this one needs separate amps for juice.
I was speaking of a home reference system with a 450 watt receiver, not a car deck. Those are good for about 25 watts per channel at the most, so it's not a comparison, whereas a home receiver should be. And unless the ML system has dramatically changed, it's not separate amplifiers for each speaker. That would be the Bose system. The ones that were used before in the GS/LS line were not particularly reliable (I will let you search), and are a single unit. As I said, if it's been completely updated to several amps, it's news to me.

The point remains, the earlier (early 2000s?) ML systems had protection circuitry in place that gave you enough room to turn it up. Now they've artificially limited that in current systems so the output levels don't stress the amps. It's not an ideal design
While I agree with you that it's not an ideal design, most Lexus drivers are not going to be audio afficianados demanding the maximum performance from a system. I would venture that they're happy with the modest loudness levels of the regular system, and buy the upgrade as a package. You are the exception, in other words.

Big Mack