Sponsored by:

keep blowing fuse HID KIT

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-02, 08:23 AM
roenick7
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry keep blowing fuse HID KIT

I have the 8000k Hid kit from falcon (HELLA Ballast and Osram bulb) I have it all hooked up and I keep blowing the fuse when I try to turn on the lights. GS 400 std amp fuse for (frnt lt) is a 15a I tried all the way to 30amps and it still blew.
What am I doing wrong????
Old 06-22-02, 09:12 AM
lexlyf
Lead Lap

Let's put the call out to Mean Gene or Percy.

Something is wrong w/ the HID kit or the manner in which it was wired. Wish I could give you more insight, but those 2 guys are way more knowledgeable than I am on electronics & wiring.

In the mean time, reread the instructions & recheck every wire that you touched during the install to insure that nothing is grounding out (inspect the actual cables for any exposed wiring that could be touching the frame of the car or any other unintential wiring).

Last edited by lexlyf; 06-22-02 at 09:14 AM.
Old 06-22-02, 09:35 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,501 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Putting in bigger and bigger fuses is a bad idea, as you're just allowing more load on your electrical system. Sounds like something isn't wired right.
Old 06-22-02, 05:42 PM
roenick7
Driver

the kit is plug-play I have the Falcon kit. I tried each Hella Ballast different bulbs everything. The connection that is blowing it is the power wire from the light jack(female 9006 conect) to the ballast. I unpluged everything except hese and the fuse still blew. 10 fuses are dust now. any help. the Falcon rep will get back to me on Monday
Old 06-22-02, 07:26 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all you don't have Osram bulbs because the highest they go is 5400K---Osram Xenarc D-HC. Secondly, any kit packager that LIES and says you have Osram 8000K bulbs is probably pawning off subpar ballasts too so don't count on them being legitimate Hellas.

As far as the fuse situation, you should first recheck your wiring, and add two 15-amp inline fuse holders, one in between each bulb and ballast wire and another 30-amp inline fuse holder in close proximity to the battery (18-inches or less). Also, your wires are better off short as possible, too much slack can build up unwanted inductance. If this rig doesn't work you have defective ballasts.
Old 06-22-02, 07:51 PM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

heh

sounds like fun..

i had that problem too

i use k2 yours has different brand name..

anyway i'm sure it has same problem..

so there i go..

change polarity!!!! and/or read manual on installation it should say change polarity! heh..

enjoy easy fix
Old 06-23-02, 08:44 AM
roenick7
Driver

alexus1 SWEEEET I cant see shi! right now I am blind. REVERSE POLARITY

As for 8000k Osram if you search the forums you will find a picture of the bulb container from osram. My guess is they are not for retail sale yet. Only oem for kits because of the purchase power of buying 10,000 at a time. So if you call and ask they will ofcourse tell you no we don't make those because they don't want or have enough to stock their perfered retail clients shelves. So if they can't get them niether can we unless you buy a kit. As far as the ballasts being bad; HELLA is the best you can get next to OEM.
Old 06-23-02, 09:30 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by roenick7
alexus1 SWEEEET I cant see shi! right now I am blind. REVERSE POLARITY

As for 8000k Osram if you search the forums you will find a picture of the bulb container from osram. My guess is they are not for retail sale yet. Only oem for kits because of the purchase power of buying 10,000 at a time. So if you call and ask they will ofcourse tell you no we don't make those because they don't want or have enough to stock their perfered retail clients shelves. So if they can't get them niether can we unless you buy a kit. As far as the ballasts being bad; HELLA is the best you can get next to OEM.

Hella is OEM. As for 8000K Osram, I couldn't find the pictures, but I've seen the alleged packaging on an ebay auction. They look like repackaged Hana bulbs. Now the fairy tale story of "they are not available for retail and only insiders have a special ultra-secret deal with Osram" is a sung song they've been using for years and is in truth unequivocal bullshït. I am on Osram's mailing list and have the inside information on stuff they are still researching, save for releasing to market.

The pure and simple truth is that Osram has no need, no desire, no purpose, and no intent to develop an 8000K bulb. Read my HID tutorial on why 8000K is as crappy as lighting gets---worse than halogen on a performance and utility level. It is for those same reasons that Osram's aftermarket bulb is 5400K and not 6000K. Osram is an OEM supplier to a half a dozen major manufacturers (including the largest: GM) and together with Philips, they own a monopoly on all OEM bulbs. They could pull their D-HC bulbs from market and STILL make a killing riding on OEM bulbs for the rest of their lives if they wanted to. They have no need from a business standpoint to begin pawning off ricer 8000K bulbs to no name kit packagers. Furthermore, selling an 8000K bulb would only work in detriment to their age old reputation as a top lighting manufacturer. You will notice that only the unestablished newer bulb manufacturers have to push off 8000K bulbs to even compete as a niche supplier with Osram and Philips.

So you say Osram 8000K is in limited supply and is thus only presently available to kit companies? I'll give you a whole year, hell I'll give you ten years, and by then I'll still be laughing when Osram has absolutely no mention of 8000K bulbs on their entire website or investor bulletin.

Excuse my bluntness, but I love it when everyone with an hid kit considers themselves an industry expert .
Old 06-23-02, 11:39 AM
roenick7
Driver

That was my take with the information I had. However one bulb broke with all my trial and errors to find out what the problem was with the fuses.

What bulbs to replace with and where to purchase fast.?????

Thanks

does the kit need special wiring on the bulb itself like I have , or is that how they all com????

Thanks
Old 06-23-02, 12:40 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Well if you still want Osram bulbs, they aren't as popular as Philips therefore there aren't any websites that I can think of off the top of my head that sell them rebased. You'll probably have the most success finding them on ebay, but beware of any advertised above 6000K as they are all phonies. It's so easy for people to lie about rebased bulbs because the proof for all intensive purposes is located on the original D2 base itself. The Philips alternative is much easier to come by. You can get rebased Philips bulbs in OEM 4100K or Ultinon 5800K at http://www.autolamps-online.com or http://www.suvlights.com . Club Lexus has some sort of special with Autolamps (if you're a paid member) and Autolamps is also recognized on Philips' website as the ONLY authorized HID kit vendor. I've heard from many, many experienced lighting pros at the Philips boards that Philips bulbs are better than Osram anyway.

The only special wiring you really need is a battery relay.
Old 06-23-02, 06:23 PM
roenick7
Driver

I don't think reg. bulb replacement will work look. HID bulbs from Kit "Falcon" Osram bulbs.
Attached Thumbnails keep blowing fuse HID KIT-dscn0561.jpg  
Old 06-24-02, 02:36 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lex400SC knows his stuff when it comes to HIDs...from my research, there is NO 8000K from any reputable manufacture...

This about this...6000K is about 20% dimmer than 4100K...so what would 8000K be? Probably just a tad bit brighter than a set of decent halogens (like Koitos)....

8000K is a SCAM. PERIOD. Any "manufacturer" selling 8000K kits should be looked upon with SERIOUS suspicion. They're lying about the 8000K so who's to say they're not lying about the other parts in the kit.

As you can see, in that kit, with a hardwired lamp, you're going to have to do some work...

In a QUALITY kit like the AutoLamps kit, you could have just bought another bulb from them...

See what happens you try to save a buck on inferior products?

What a QUALITY kit looks like...