Sponsored by:

radio stopped working :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-10, 06:25 PM
Koa31
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy radio stopped working :(

After my mother messed up the door panel in the car, I tried repairing it with some screws until I got the new one. That same day, the radio stop working and the speakers were making a static sound then stopped completely. After a bout 30 seconds i started smelling like burning rubber idk where it came from.

Does anyone know what could of went wrong? please help
Old 03-16-10, 03:08 PM
Scotty
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 8 Posts

You potentially could have shorted the speaker wire to ground or any other number of wires if you inadvertently shot a screw through the door harness.

I would remove the extra screws that were installed and remove the door panel and inspect wiring for any damage. Once any issues with wiring are addressed check for blown fuses and reassess the functionality of the audio system.

It seems like potentially your factory amp may be damaged.
Old 03-17-10, 04:07 PM
Koa31
Driver

Originally Posted by Scotty
You potentially could have shorted the speaker wire to ground or any other number of wires if you inadvertently shot a screw through the door harness.

I would remove the extra screws that were installed and remove the door panel and inspect wiring for any damage. Once any issues with wiring are addressed check for blown fuses and reassess the functionality of the audio system.

It seems like potentially your factory amp may be damaged.
Thanks Scotty i really appreciate it. I took out all the extra screws, took door panel off, inspected the wires, no sign of any damge, all fuses are good, only other thing that it could be is the radio or the Amp. how would i know if its the Amp or the radio?
Old 03-17-10, 05:20 PM
Scotty
Intermediate

Well, if you're sure you checked all fuses you could start by inspecting the amp for evidence of damage. Corrosion in the form of rust could indicate water damage, which is a common issue on the SCs. The amp is located under the CD Changer on the passenger side of the trunk.

Unfortunately unless you have test tools such as a multimeter, there will only be a limited amount testing you can do.

I will say it does sound like the amp is most likely bad.

Last edited by Scotty; 03-17-10 at 05:26 PM.
Old 03-19-10, 07:20 PM
Koa31
Driver

Well, if you're sure you checked all fuses you could start by inspecting the amp for evidence of damage. Corrosion in the form of rust could indicate water damage, which is a common issue on the SCs. The amp is located under the CD Changer on the passenger side of the trunk.

Unfortunately unless you have test tools such as a multimeter, there will only be a limited amount testing you can do.

I will say it does sound like the amp is most likely bad.
And oh yeah when went was going out all the speakers were going crazy Scotty do you still think its the Amp? let me know bro i dont want to be wasting money lol
Old 03-19-10, 08:28 PM
Scotty
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Koa31
And oh yeah when went was going out all the speakers were going crazy Scotty do you still think its the Amp? let me know bro i dont want to be wasting money lol
Going crazy in what manner? Static? Scratching? Also, what happens when you turn the volume **** up and down?
Old 03-20-10, 03:06 PM
Koa31
Driver

Going crazy in what manner? Static? Scratching? Also, what happens when you turn the volume **** up and down?
Like it was scratchy and static was going through all the speakers not just that one in the door where i shot the screws. At one point i could hear the radio when i turned the volume all the way up but now i get nothing from it. Just the light on the stereo and the radio channel.

I really apreciate the help Scotty.
Old 03-20-10, 06:43 PM
Scotty
Intermediate

Well you have a few options...

1. Try a different volume **** (probably the cheapest way to start just in case it's causing the issue)
2. Replace the amp
3. Go aftermarket with the stereo and bypass the amp (new equipment will most likely last the longest)
4. Get a portable boom-box and sit it on the passengers seat
Old 03-22-10, 07:14 AM
Koa31
Driver

Well you have a few options...

1. Try a different volume **** (probably the cheapest way to start just in case it's causing the issue)
2. Replace the amp
3. Go aftermarket with the stereo and bypass the amp (new equipment will most likely last the longest)
4. Get a portable boom-box and sit it on the passengers seat
lol I've been on that #4 option for like 3 weeks now. I don't think its the **** but Ill try that first man and THANK YOU!!! lol I really apprecite the help. ill let you know how everything goes man.
Old 04-13-10, 03:55 PM
Koa31
Driver

my amp was dead lol found one for like $5 at local junk yard should last me until i can afford that touch screen head unit i wanted lol

thanks again Scotty