Sponsored by:

RX300 DVD Navigation update released!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-02, 01:22 PM
McDaddy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

helo1,
I couldn't access all the links. But I was able to get to some. You are right though.... I got the dvd ver 2000.1 and do not have any canadian addresses or cities or routes... according to this documentation, I should have this ability. Cool Hendry! Thanks.
Old 05-10-02, 08:33 PM
hleo1
Pole Position

http://pressroom.toyota.com/mediaki...2glancesuv.html

http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_l...id=2002lexus3_r

http://65.112.188.100/photo_library...?id=2002rx300_r

McDaddy,

You're welcome!

Yes, I'm merely an upset customer who feel completely betrayed by Lexus, providing that my '02 RX is the 3rd Lexus vehicles I've owned. As they claimed and promised, ALL 2002 Lexus with Nav function should've been equiped with the latest nav update.

So when you get a chance, bring this up to your sales mgr, and show them all these printed documents as claimed my Lexus.

cheers,
Hendry
Old 05-10-02, 08:35 PM
hleo1
Pole Position

Sorry, the same links above doesn't work again. If you prefer, just PM me with your email add, I'll forward them via email directly to you...

-Hendry
Old 05-11-02, 05:27 AM
Drive4Fun
Driver

Is it possible that Toyota/Lexus disabled those links? Did anyone else access them before they bacame "disconnected"?

It looks like Lexus monitors this board for CYA purposes, and not to help owners.

Hleo: Would you mind pasting here the relevant parts of those links?
Old 05-11-02, 01:46 PM
hleo1
Pole Position

http://65.112.188.100/photo_library/...d=2002lexus3_r

Exactly "copy & paste" from the press release:

Lexus Is First with DVD Navigation System in Every Model;
Third Generation System Is Faster, More Convenient

09/15/2001

For 2002, Lexus will be the first automotive brand to offer a Digital Versatile Disc (DVD) navigation system for every model in its line. The next-generation Lexus Navigation System offers high performance and new features to provide clear information and intuitive operation.

Improvements from the previous navigation systems include a new navigation computer featuring improved CPU performance and DVD system. This performance boost will allow high-speed route calculating and high-speed map scrolling. Average time for a route calculation will be twice as fast, averaging five seconds per route calculation compared to the previous time of 11 seconds.

Since the map database is housed on a DVD, a much larger data storage unit than a CD-ROM, there is no need to switch discs between geographic regions to have access to route information throughout the country. Once a route is selected, drivers will be guided with audible direction guidance. The clear voice will deliver friendly prompts throughout the journey, even finding alternative directions should the driver miss a turn or decide to waver a bit from the path. As soon as the driver reaches three miles per hour, the navigation system disengages the route selection options. This helps in preventing the driver from tinkering with the navigation unit, reducing the possibility of distraction.

New Navigation Functions

New functions include Plural Route calculating, which allows a user to select a favorite route from the three that are calculated based upon user’s preferences. For example, one-way, toll road, ferry and restricted roads can be selected to "allow" or "avoid". The Multiple Destination Input feature makes it possible to input additional destinations and even reorder the destinations. The Route Preview function allows the calculated route to be seen by automatic scrolling. Highway junctions are displayed using a simplified pictogram that clearly describes entrance/exit directions and location (right or left side, for example).

Customers may set area avoidance preferences and routes will be calculated to steer clear of these areas. The Dual Map Screen allows for the selection of single or dual maps to be displayed simultaneously -- different zoom levels and different headings (North-up, heading-up, etc.).

Expanded database coverage allows for destinations in Canada to be included and routes can go through Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver and Ottawa and Whistler. Multi-language selection offers a voice guidance and screen display by two languages: English and French. When French is selected, all the measurements are automatically converted to metric units.

Systems Tailored To Each Lexus Vehicle

Additional functions of the navigation system vary by vehicle. The LS 430 flagship sedan’s navigation system uses a large seven-inch screen and incorporates voice command recognition. The driver can use the system totally hands-free using 300 different voice commands. Additionally, the navigation system in this model is linked to the optional Lexus Dual-Mode Mobile Phone. If a point of interest is called up on the navigation screen, a push of a button will dial the location directly.

In the new SC 430 hardtop convertible, the visual guidance screen features an easy-to-see 256-color wide-format display with a split screen design. It also adjusts seven degrees up or down to help minimize sun glare. Lexus Navigation is standard on this model.

The optional navigation system in IS 300 models features a viewing screen that pops up from the dashboard. The owner can hide the screen when it is not in use. Remote controls are located between the front seats.

The navigation systems in the redesigned ES 300, the GS sedans and RX 300 feature touch-screen technology. In the LX 470 sport-utility vehicle, the display screen provides an in-car theater. When the transmission selector is in the "Park" position and the parking brake is set, passengers can view a DVD movie. When the selector is in the "Drive" position, passengers can listen to the sound but cannot view the video. Beginning in 2002, this system is standard equipment on the LX 470.

Database Statistics

The Lexus Navigation System uses a single new database that covers many U.S. highways, urban and rural areas and several areas in Canada. This is the most complete U.S. in-vehicle navigation coverage available containing cutting-edge detailed, digital representation of the road network. By providing this level of in-depth and accurate coverage, users receive turn-by-turn, door-to-door route guidance. The database includes extensive road specifics and about 50 point of interest categories (POI) to help users find specific restaurants, hotels, airports, banks, shopping centers and more.

Map Database Figures
(These numbers are provided to demonstrate the vastness of the database. Data is subject to change.)

Total Address Points and Locations 9,467,338
Total Miles 1,795,818
Point of Interest (POI) 785,030
Airports 987
Amusement Parks 214
ATM 38,625
Auto Service & Maintenance
Bank
Convention-Exhibition Centers
Court House
Golf Course
Grocery Store
Higher Education
Historical Monument
Hospital
Hotel
Library
Museum
Named Place
Park & Ride
Park / Recreation Area
Petrol / Gas Station
Restaurant
BBQ / Southern Food
Brewpub
Cajun / Caribbean Food
Chinese Food
Fast Food
Italian Food
Mexican Food
Sandwich
Steak House Food
Thai Food
Vegetarian Food
Tourist Attraction
Tourist Information
Point of Interest (POI)
604,976(77.06%)
Old 05-11-02, 01:52 PM
hleo1
Pole Position

The links are still available online.

Visit their Press Release website, and do a search using keywords like: "2002 Lexus Navigation".

These articles were published back on 09/15/2001.

So browse through by date, will save you lots of time.

Here's the press release website:

http://pressroom.toyota.com/index.html

-Hendry
Old 05-11-02, 01:56 PM
hleo1
Pole Position

Drive4Fun,

I noticed that your car is 2001 GS430, correct? I'm not sure what was promised for 2001 vehicles when it comes to Navigation. At least for 2002 models I'm sure they lied publicly. So please read through them when you have time...

thanks,
Hendry
Old 05-12-02, 02:27 PM
Drive4Fun
Driver

I got a "We Owe" free nav DVD update, when available, that I negotiated when I bought the car. Parts Manager was to have ordered the update last week.

Has anyone who has operated the 2000 and 2001 versions found any changes in functionality?
Old 05-13-02, 01:10 PM
hleo1
Pole Position

Thumbs up

Got the Update!

Excellent! I just installed the new update, version 2001 for my '02 RX300.

It's awesome, and absolutely love it. It covers Canada at last!

Cheers,
Hendry
Old 05-13-02, 03:42 PM
Drive4Fun
Driver

Hendry,

Does installation require more than a simple swap of the disks?

Does its awesomeness relate to features, or just more, and more accurate information?

Last edited by Drive4Fun; 05-13-02 at 03:43 PM.
Old 05-14-02, 07:10 AM
hleo1
Pole Position

It's just a swap of the dvd disc. Pop-out the old disc, and insert the new one. It takes about 2-3 minutes for the system to update itself to the new disc, keep your car running (at least ignition key to "On") while it updates. After it's complete, it's ready for regular use.

In terms of more accuracy, I'm sure it should be more accurate than the older version. It shows on the map, however, when there're parks, hospitals, shopping malls, golf courses, it has small icons on the map.

My top priority is to have the Navigation features for Canada. My old nav didn't include any Canadian cities at all. The new one does.

-Hendry