Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Problems with Grom Audio

Old 09-24-09, 06:15 PM
GS4K
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with Grom Audio

I have a 2003 GS430 with Navigation and Levinston Sound. I got the Grom Audio V2 today and installed it. It works and sounds good, some tracks sound a bit distorted but sound fine when you listen to it thru earphones. But after 10 seconds after I installed it I realized it was playing both the CD Changer and the Ipod at the same time, the Ipod was louder. I could hear distortion but only hear the CD Changer Song when there was a break in the Ipod song. Anyone have this problem and have a resolution? I also don't have CD1 and CD Changer when I hit the Disc button. I sent an E-Mail to GROM Support.

I also read a thread that I should have read before buying this adaptor. It's a thread from an IS forum, I think it's like 42 pages. I read most of it, only one person posted the same issue I'm having, no one replied though. Lots of people complaints with the GROM Adaptor. Grom addressed most of the issues by sending a chip that you have to install to the adaptor. If I could go back to Monday I would have ordered the Vais. Oh well, we'll see what Grom replies and does for me. I guess I do have 30 days to return it for a full refund. It's really not the money, it's the time that pisses me off!!!

So I took all the discs out of the changer and now there is no distortion but my Navi Screen display a message that No Disc are in. It's very annoying.
Old 09-24-09, 06:56 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the link to that IS thread about GROM audio? We have 2 links on 3GS forum LINK1 and LINK2. One common problem which I experienced with GROM audio box I just received is that USB stick sometimes not recognized and I can NOT see song titles. I spoke with GROM tech support (through email) and they told me about new firmware being released tomorrow to address usb stick recognition problem. But not being able to see song titles on my NAV screen is annoying!!! 2006 GS300 can display it while my 2007 GS350 can't?!? I know there is interface firmware difference between 06 and 07, but Vaistech has no issues with their module. I will wait for tomorrow to upload new Grom firmware update, and if it doesn't work - out it goes. Though, Vais multimedia adapter is close to $300 for the same functionality as GROM (for $120) and GROM includes AUX input and Ipod input.

Can you view song titles on your NAV screen of GS430?
Old 09-24-09, 07:21 PM
GS4K
Driver

Here's the IS link:
http://my.is/forums/f103/ipod-contro...n-play-347712/

2nd Generation GS don't show text using Grom nor VAIS.
Old 09-25-09, 06:23 AM
GS4K
Driver

Here's what Grom's Tech Support replied:

Sorry for inconvenience but some additional information is needed. I would appreciate if you could clarify the following points (just type in under each question):
1. Is your car stereo factory-installed (brand, number on the frontpanel/ pictures)?
2. Is satellite radio installed in the car?
3. Does car stereo recognize GROM iPod adapter? Are disk, track numbersand time displayed?
4. Are tracks changed if you press Next or Prev buttons on your carstereo / steering wheel? Is it indicated properly on car stereo screen?
5. What is displayed on car stereo screen when you press CD buttons,trying to switch from one CD to another (disk, track numbers and time,etc.)?
6. Does trouble appear only in one of the modes: Simple or Advanced?
7. Is iPod charged through the adapter in any mode?
8. What happens if you tighten / jiggle (but not disconnect) the cableconnecting the adapter with iPod during music play? Any changes involume / balance / sound quality?
9. What is your iPod/iPhone model?
10. Have you tested the adapter with other iPod/iPhone? If not, pleasetest and then let me know.
11. Have you tested the adapter without iPod? Is it recognized by carstereo? 12. Has external CD changer been disconnected (if applicable)?
13. Any additional info you think might be useful but not mentionedabove.

Please make sure you followed User Manual at installation (hard copy wassent with the adapter, online version is posted athttp://www.gromaudio.com/iPod_installation.pdf ) and check allrespective harnesses connections.

Thank you in advance.

Regards, Alisher

Their response was pretty fast, I'm impressed with that but their questions are mostly useless if you ask me. I replied and I'm waiting for their reply.
Old 09-25-09, 03:28 PM
NAK
Rookie

I have VAIS VML in my car and it works like a champ with my iPhone 3G, internal hard drive 80Gb and my 32Gb USB flash drive.
I believe comparing VML and GROM is the same thing as comparing Lexus with Kia, technically they both can drive, but ride and comfort
is what matters.
Old 09-28-09, 06:27 AM
GS4K
Driver

GROM wants me to send the adaptor back to them so they can do further testing!! Screw that, I'm just going to tell them to keep it and give me a refund! Can't beleive a company would ask to do this. Oh well, I guess you get what you pay for. Going with the VAIS!!!!
Old 09-28-09, 09:13 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

They have been promising new firmware release since last week, and still nothing. I even offered them to send me some non-final fw to test it out. Still, nothing. I know they are under-dog in comparison to Vaistech and I gave them a chance, but no song title display, issues recognizing USB stick (even their own supplied one), and now I'm also getting occasional hissing noise. Switching to VAIS as well...
Old 10-01-09, 11:11 AM
GS4K
Driver

Default Vais

Just sent it back Monday. Now I've been comtemplating between the Video? I think it would be pretty cool to have the Navigation play Videos. It's not too much more.
Old 10-02-09, 03:33 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Video adapter from whom?

BTW, sent my GROM back today as well. Will wait for Vaistech group buy or maybe a sale before X-mas to get VML.
Old 11-02-09, 12:27 PM
zooomer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GS4K
I have a 2003 GS430 with Navigation and Levinston Sound. I got the Grom Audio V2 today and installed it. It works and sounds good, some tracks sound a bit distorted but sound fine when you listen to it thru earphones. But after 10 seconds after I installed it I realized it was playing both the CD Changer and the Ipod at the same time, the Ipod was louder. I could hear distortion but only hear the CD Changer Song when there was a break in the Ipod song. Anyone have this problem and have a resolution? I also don't have CD1 and CD Changer when I hit the Disc button. I sent an E-Mail to GROM Support.

I also read a thread that I should have read before buying this adaptor. It's a thread from an IS forum, I think it's like 42 pages. I read most of it, only one person posted the same issue I'm having, no one replied though. Lots of people complaints with the GROM Adaptor. Grom addressed most of the issues by sending a chip that you have to install to the adaptor. If I could go back to Monday I would have ordered the Vais. Oh well, we'll see what Grom replies and does for me. I guess I do have 30 days to return it for a full refund. It's really not the money, it's the time that pisses me off!!!

So I took all the discs out of the changer and now there is no distortion but my Navi Screen display a message that No Disc are in. It's very annoying.

WARNING!!!!!!! I purchase GROM-USB2 for my 2006 GS300 and it does not work! Grom Audio send me USB unit and 4GB USB memory card. First, when i install the unit - USB work just fine, but next day it was completely DEAD! I replace 4GB usb to my own 1GB and it was good for one day. Next morning it was all the same, I can`t make audio turn on. They send me a replacement unit and new 4GB USB card (they sad Memory Card was bad and nothing wrong with USB Unit itself. I ask for BRAND NEW unit). Install new one and guess what?! Same thing! USB audio from memory card work for a couple hours and then died. It`s turn on and off by it self. The USB unit also have AUX and IPod in, but i never try it if it`s work or not. Going to send it back and get my money. Good concept but bad experience.