Sponsored by:

Recommendations for a 5 channel AMP

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-09, 11:24 AM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Recommendations for a 5 channel AMP

I'm looking around for a good powerful 5 channel AMP. I'd like to use one AMP cause my SC300 does not have much trunk space so I have to limit myself. Can any of you recommend anything powerful? I like my music loud and crisp but doesnt have to be competition loud, just something that can push my 4 highs/mids and one 12" sub. I heard and used PPI, Soundstream, Fosgate in the past but havent been outta the Audio scene for sometime.
Old 05-07-09, 11:29 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Before folks make recommendations, they're probably going to want to know what other components you are running for HU, speakers and sub(s).
Old 05-07-09, 03:02 PM
phrozen
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you can get your hands on a elemental designs nine.5 amp i have one and its awsome. or u can go DLS audio a7 worth every pennyu can get em for about 700-800 at cost.
Old 05-07-09, 03:08 PM
TinCan
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Arc Audio
Old 05-07-09, 04:24 PM
Trav@DICE
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 92LexusCpe
I'm looking around for a good powerful 5 channel AMP. I'd like to use one AMP cause my SC300 does not have much trunk space so I have to limit myself. Can any of you recommend anything powerful? I like my music loud and crisp but doesnt have to be competition loud, just something that can push my 4 highs/mids and one 12" sub. I heard and used PPI, Soundstream, Fosgate in the past but havent been outta the Audio scene for sometime.
There is more pieces to this puzzle then just what amp to use. You say you like your music loud and crisp. Any idea of what speakers you are going to be useing? What sub are you going to be using? The bigger question is what kinda of investement are you wanting to put out there?

Personaly I really enjoy the natural crisp sound of a Focal component speaker ($300-$1500) depeding on what series you like most. The JL Audio and Rockford subs sound great in a small area and does not need to have a lot of power. ($100-$250). With this kinda of setup you can use some Alpine Amps. Look at the PDX amps they are small and powerful and you can stack them. They have a very low amount of heat that comes off of them. They do have a 5channel amp. Also with the size of these amps you can use a 4 channel and a mono block amp to get cleaner and criper sounds all the way around. May even want to think of getting a sound processor to really be able to tune in the car audio for the sound that you want.

You can go see JT at the Al n Ed's Autosound in Huntington Beach and he will be able to get you all dialed in with the best bang for your buck. The phone number there is 714-848-8489.
Old 05-08-09, 12:33 PM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Trav@DICE

You can go see JT at the Al n Ed's Autosound in Huntington Beach and he will be able to get you all dialed in with the best bang for your buck. The phone number there is 714-848-8489.

Cool guys, thanx for the input and I'm definitley gonna hit this up since its local . As for speakers I'm not too sure about those yet but Im gonna be using one 12" JL W6 I picked up a few days ago. Are these W6's good in an enclosed box?
Old 05-08-09, 01:26 PM
Trav@DICE
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 92LexusCpe
Cool guys, thanx for the input and I'm definitley gonna hit this up since its local . As for speakers I'm not too sure about those yet but Im gonna be using one 12" JL W6 I picked up a few days ago. Are these W6's good in an enclosed box?
Your welcome for the input. JT is an awsome fabricator as well. Make sure to check out his 09 Scion XB with 8 15 inch subs.

As for the 12w6 if it is a sub that really likes the power. You can run it in a sealed box. The big advantage to a sealed box it will take up a lot less room then a ported box.

He does have alot of the Focal speakers up on display so you can see the quality of those speakers.
Old 05-12-09, 05:15 PM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

If space is limited, i'd take a look at the alpine pdx-5. Nice and compact. Probably fit nicely where the Nak amp used to be.
Old 05-12-09, 10:15 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you had to buy an amp ONCE, and it's no holds barred...

McIntosh.
Old 05-18-09, 11:43 AM
Trav@DICE
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Percy
If you had to buy an amp ONCE, and it's no holds barred...

McIntosh.
You are correct McIntosh amps are amazing amps. Such a good and clean sound from them. However for this vehicle they are alittle huge unless you want to give up the complete trunk space.

Also with going with an amp like that you would want to look into doing a full sound system to really get the benifits of that amp.
Old 05-18-09, 02:35 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

They have smaller models that can be configured from 6, 5 or 4 channels. And they're a bit larger than most amps, but they last a loooong time.

I've had mine since the mid 90s and they're still cranking.
Old 05-19-09, 09:31 AM
Trav@DICE
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Percy
They have smaller models that can be configured from 6, 5 or 4 channels. And they're a bit larger than most amps, but they last a loooong time.

I've had mine since the mid 90s and they're still cranking.
Yea mid 90's was a good time for car electronics. There are alot of amps from that time that are still going good and strong. Like the old PPI amps, Orion amps, and Zapco amps.

The amps that are made these days everyone wants to have either the most power from them so it would be such a dirty power like Audiobahn, Performance Techniques. With companies like this the other companies need to find ways to make their amps cheaper to compete by price point.
Old 05-19-09, 04:03 PM
99Aristo
Lead Lap

There's a Zapco on ebay right now out of Cali....wish I would've saw it befor ei bought my 6 channel. Also wish I wouild've steppe dup and bought a JL Audio 500.5, I love those amps. But I bought a DEI 6 channel and it works great also....lots of adjustability and not too big. Soundstream makes good stuff also in 5 channel......and the ever infamous PPI 6 channel, the A606.2.....wondeful amp
The following users liked this post:
Parrokeete (12-08-21)