Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And another one.
Attached Thumbnails Antenna Conversion-antenna-3.jpg  
Old 08-30-08, 08:55 AM
P.R.S.22
Lexus Champion

Up close picture of the nut and antenna on the car with j b weld holding it together.
Attached Thumbnails Antenna Conversion-antenna-4.jpg  
Old 03-03-09, 06:12 PM
huNGjaii
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you buy an adapter to get that s2k antenna on? Happen to have a DIY or in depth pictures?
Old 03-03-09, 06:46 PM
P.R.S.22
Lexus Champion

This is what I told another fellow CL member about the S2K antenna:

So the S2K antenna is kind of interesting. First...just go to the Honda dealership and get the antenna for 28 dollars. Next....Take out the side panel from inside the trunk where the antenna sits on the car. You will see a bracket with the antenna motor and the whole antenna assembly there. You will need to bend back the antenna motor a little bit. On the outside of the car just unscrew the antenna off the car and then take out the factory grommet as well. The grommet is the black plastic piece that is on the outside the car. Next you will need to find a nut that will screw onto the end of the S2K antenna. Just screw it enough to get some threads on there. Then you will tie a zip tie to the end of the S2K antenna and the nut. You take this and shove it through the bottom of the grommet. This will make sure that the antenna will never fly off the car when your on the highway. The grommet attaches to the car and now the S2K antenna is shoved from the bottom of it so its not going anywhere. But to really make sure its not going anywhere you take zip tie you put on it and shove the whole assembly of antenna and grommet and put it back on the car. Now inside your trunk you will see the zip tie in there and all you do now is get more zip ties to connect to the one already on the antenna and extend to the frame of the car and that will really insure the antenna is going nowhere. Reception is the same as before so don't worry about that. Let me know if this was complicated at all.

Here is a pic of the antenna assembly from inside the car. Its not that hard but its just a little tricky to get the zip ties all connected. Let me know again if you have any more questions.

Old 08-10-09, 07:48 AM
Speed_51
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know if this will work on an 02' SC430? I'm tired of the telescoping antenna breaking.
Old 08-10-09, 05:16 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed_51
Anyone know if this will work on an 02' SC430? I'm tired of the telescoping antenna breaking.
What in the world are you guys doing monkeying around with such ugly stub antennas? I have an 92 SC400 (original ower) and the antenna has broken two or three times. The nylon "stringer" (for lack of a better word) is geared and drives the antenna up and down. After time it fatigues and break in two pieces. This piece is easily replaced for a mere $58 at your local Lexus dealer.

It does require removing the antena assy, disassembling the unit to remove the broken piece, reassembling and installing and then inserting the new stringer. Then reattached the antenna and you're back in business, just as Lexus designed. Can't find a reason not to keep it OEM, it searches for the optimum height for whatever mode you have selected. Just can't see screwing up the original looks and function for some cheap add on.

Last edited by jayclapp; 08-10-09 at 05:17 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-10-09, 07:09 PM
P.R.S.22
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jayclapp
What in the world are you guys doing monkeying around with such ugly stub antennas? I have an 92 SC400 (original ower) and the antenna has broken two or three times. The nylon "stringer" (for lack of a better word) is geared and drives the antenna up and down. After time it fatigues and break in two pieces. This piece is easily replaced for a mere $58 at your local Lexus dealer.

It does require removing the antena assy, disassembling the unit to remove the broken piece, reassembling and installing and then inserting the new stringer. Then reattached the antenna and you're back in business, just as Lexus designed. Can't find a reason not to keep it OEM, it searches for the optimum height for whatever mode you have selected. Just can't see screwing up the original looks and function for some cheap add on.
I will only speak for myself but the reason I did it was because I hated having that OEM antenna going up like 5 feet in the air and making the car look like a 90's car. My radio still worked great even without the antenna going up in the air so it didn't matter to me. Now that I have a carputer in my ride it purely for looks. It honestly looks factory and does not look out of place but I understand everyone has their own taste.
Old 08-10-09, 07:14 PM
P.R.S.22
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Speed_51
Yea it should work. The only thing I would tell you which I'm not sure I stated earlier is that you need to put the S2K antenna inside of the black oem grommet and then zip tie it to a panel inside the car.