Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Antenna Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-08, 04:25 PM
TheKevin
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nexus, if you have the reciept, the part #s should be listed on there. i dont want you to go to autozone just to get part #s.
Old 08-21-08, 05:37 PM
1GStoEnvy
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this mod looks great...
now i'm on the search for a s2k antenna
Old 08-21-08, 06:23 PM
nexus 4.0
Driver

Originally Posted by papanature
nexus, if you have the reciept, the part #s should be listed on there. i dont want you to go to autozone just to get part #s.
yea, i kinda throw the receipt away. no worries, Autozone is right by my house..
Old 08-21-08, 07:40 PM
P.R.S.22
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Nexus....which parts come with the universal mount?? Is it the tightening nut, tightening post, and adjusting plate??? Also were the parts that came with the mount black or another color?? The reason I ask the color part is because in the picture of your antenna I see at the top of the gromet its a different color than the rest of the gromet. Thanks for all the advice on this.
Old 08-21-08, 09:59 PM
mr2tosc4
Lexus Test Driver

nexus, is this the same antenna you bought from ebay? (pic from ebay seller):

Old 08-21-08, 11:04 PM
Jfg kevin
Driver

I've notice that the s2k is a twist on antenna..I was just wondering how and what hardware is needed to have our internal antenna plug, plug into that antenna..??..What lock nut did you use to keep the antenna there in place...??
Old 08-22-08, 06:11 AM
nexus 4.0
Driver

Originally Posted by P.R.S.22
Hey Nexus....which parts come with the universal mount?? Is it the tightening nut, tightening post, and adjusting plate??? Also were the parts that came with the mount black or another color?? The reason I ask the color part is because in the picture of your antenna I see at the top of the gromet its a different color than the rest of the gromet. Thanks for all the advice on this.
everything in the drawing, except the gromet is part of the universal mounting kit. the kit is all black. and the reason why the top of the gromet is a different shade of black then the rest is because that is the tightening nut, which fits inside of the fatory gromet.
Old 08-22-08, 06:12 AM
nexus 4.0
Driver

Originally Posted by mr2tosc4
nexus, is this the same antenna you bought from ebay? (pic from ebay seller):

Yes, yes it is!
Old 08-22-08, 06:56 AM
nexus 4.0
Driver

the part numbers are:
Metra universal antenna for GM 44-GM93 ( black mount) from Autozone
Metra GM adaptor 40-GM10 from Circuit City.
Also get some cheese straps to exten the adjusting plate.
Your factory gromet ( black plastic and rubber part where antenna sits)
Short VW/BMW antenna from Ebay:

However, if you can find Metra 44-CR190B, this antenna would make the easiest install due to the angles it comes with. all you would need is the gromet and short antenna. see pic.
Attached Images  

Last edited by O. L. T.; 08-22-08 at 10:30 PM.
Old 08-22-08, 07:00 AM
nexus 4.0
Driver

here is a simpler drawing of how the parts fit together. as you can see the universal antennas are made with a twist on/off post to receive the antenna.
Attached Thumbnails Antenna Conversion-photo-antenna-2.jpg  
Old 08-22-08, 07:04 AM
nexus 4.0
Driver

here is a closeup of my gromet, tightening nut and antenna mounted. tonight i'll get some better pics.
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Doc2.doc (260.0 KB, 270 views)
Old 08-22-08, 07:57 AM
TheKevin
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Nexus for the part #s
Old 08-22-08, 11:19 AM
mr2tosc4
Lexus Test Driver

nexus, this is a very good alternative, however, you are using a power antenna receiver in your trunk from circuit city right? i would like to know how's the reception when you're not hooked up to the receiver, meaning just stand alone. the reason i'm asking is, it says on the ebay site that reception will be weaker as it is a smaller antenna compared to OEM. because if the receiver is a must and you say it's $60 and the universal adapter is around $20 then it's hovering close to an OEM install of some other model without needing a power receiver.
Old 08-22-08, 01:20 PM
nexus 4.0
Driver

Originally Posted by mr2tosc4
nexus, this is a very good alternative, however, you are using a power antenna receiver in your trunk from circuit city right? i would like to know how's the reception when you're not hooked up to the receiver, meaning just stand alone. the reason i'm asking is, it says on the ebay site that reception will be weaker as it is a smaller antenna compared to OEM. because if the receiver is a must and you say it's $60 and the universal adapter is around $20 then it's hovering close to an OEM install of some other model without needing a power receiver.
I do not have the power reception antenna, it is however an option. the reception is not that bad, i have not lost signal. compared to the OEM antenna, sound quality is almost on par. I have gotten static a few times, when crossing a bridge or tunnel but never to the point that it was horrible. Considering that i do not have a cd tray, and thus listen to the radio all the time, i say that i am very happy with the reception.
Old 08-22-08, 04:08 PM
P.R.S.22
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Excellent write up Nexus. I am going to get all these parts hopefully sometime this weekend. So would you say that GM adaptor will work with the S2K antenna or would I have to find one that is very similar??? Also what are cheese straps??? Haven't heard of that. Other than that I understand exactly how to put this in the car so thanks for all the help.

Quick Reply: Antenna Conversion