Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

good amp to run Alpine Type R or JL W3v3??

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-07, 04:27 AM
infa_red
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default good amp to run Alpine Type R or JL W3v3??

would my Rockford Punch 2-Channel Amplifier P200.2 (total max power 600watts) be able to run 2Alpine SWR-1242D or JL W3v3 12" subs. Also which sub do you think is better ive seen a lot of reviews on the Alpine Type R not too much on the JL W3. Any comments?

Last edited by infa_red; 05-01-07 at 05:31 AM.
Old 05-01-07, 09:02 AM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never been impressed with alpine subs- JL's have always had the upper hand--

Neither are the very best out there for the money though--

Check out Elemental Designs and TCsounds.com --- A TC DB500 would be better than either -- or a TC2000 with that much power--

A 13o.v2 by ED would also be better for the money--
Old 05-01-07, 11:19 AM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

The reason I argue this point is not that the JL w3 isn't a great sub, when in fact they are awesome subs, BUT, for $200, my money wouldn't ever be spent on one when a TC-1000 or TC-7, TC-9, or a TC-2000 exists-- The DB500 is said to be the equivalent of the TC-1000 with a steel basket as well--

I would start here: http://www.tcsounds.com/tc1000.htm

Good sub for a 1.1 ft^3 box that will work very well with 500~ watts rms-- or more if you've got it-- It will also pound a JLw3 to pieces while sounding better-- These subs have a long standing reputation for being some of the very best in the business-- Until something better comes out for the money I will always say the same old $chit too!
Old 05-01-07, 11:21 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MJHSC400
JL's have always had the upper hand--
Start reading - here on post #88. After looking at the pictures and reading the comments, I have more respect for those guys. I still wouldn't buy them (I'm a TC Sounds fan) but they do go the extra mile for quality.

-Robert
Old 05-01-07, 12:57 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

I totally agree on JL quality-- I've owned 3 10w6's and have seen them do 148's so I respect them-- The prices are always sniffly and never change -- very high-- but they have tight qc so that's to be expected --

This is a smokin deal for an amp and subs btw--
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=278266
Old 05-01-07, 10:33 PM
vsynergy
Driver

That amp won't cut it. To run two of those Alpine's nicely, you're gonna want to meet their RMS rating, which is 500 each.

The Type-R's are great for the money, you can pick up two new ones for less than $300. They hit hard in a ported enclosure, they're great on the lows and will handle more than rated power with no problems.

orrr.. you could go with what MJHSC400 suggested. Both companies make good subs IMO. It'll come down to how much power you have and how much trunk space you want to use.
Old 05-01-07, 11:54 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

The thing is-- the xmax on ANY of the TC subs is well past the Alpine -- and the TC-1000 will work awesome with that power-- 600w will really wake it up--
It will rival the alpine in sq, output, and wow factor, while being cheaper--

I'd be willing to bet that with 1000w, it could get nearly as loud as a pair of the alpine type r's --

I have heard 4 ported type r's with 1 BD1000, and it slammed -- ridiculous loud-- ported enclosures are very efficient, and there are some tricks you can do to make even a cheap sub loud in a ported enclosure, but the SQ just won't be there unless you go with a truly high end sub--

The TC's are that, Alpines are great, JL's are great and even considered high end, BUT, Alumapro's are considered to be even higher end, as well as Dynaudio, Morel, Focal, etc.-- The TC subs are in that caliber of SQ and can rival most in output -- BUT-- you don't have to pay an arm and a leg for them--

I would tell you to just buy whatever Robert J. buys, cuz that guy knows his schizznit---

Eclipse wouldn't source TC's subs as their own unless they were truly outstanding-- you believe that don't you??

Even in head units, Alpine is among the best, but Eclipse is just a notch better, every time just about-- (I'm selling one btw)

You will seriously like anything you buy if it's from a trusted company, BUT, I have owned a FANTASTIC sub called the Boston Acoustics Pro series 12.5lf, and THOSE subs handle power, lots of it, they hit hard too, BUT-- I still prefer the Kappa perfect hands down, it plays tighter, higher, lower, faster response, cleaner-- and gets as loud with half the power--

I could hear an audible difference in SQ with both subs, though the Boston DID get a bit louder with 975 rms than the Kappa gets with 475-- BUT, the perfects are known to take a LOT more than they're rated for-- like 1000w if you really feel lucky-- I'm not sure how long though-- But I really don't care, as 500w will make on pound in a 1ft box--

I'm ranting-- but I just prefer the best of the best, and it's not always by the most well known company or for the most money--

Like Mr. Robert J. said, I too wouldn't spend my money on a JL W3 OR ANY Alpine sub when the TC-2000 exists for $275 and the TC-1000 exists for $170 -- The TC-1000 will outperform a Perfect in everything including output and that by a wide margin-- And SQ wise that's saying a lot--
Old 05-02-07, 07:52 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

Eclipse wouldn't source TC's subs as their own unless they were truly outstanding-- you believe that don't you??
If Eclipse using TC Sounds doesn't convince you, then how about Krell and their Master Reference Subwoofer? It's a $28,000 sub that uses a pair of 15" subs based on the TC-9 design. Or the Aerial Acoustic SW12. That's only a $6,000 sub using a modified 12" TC-9.

Like Mr. Robert J. said, I too wouldn't spend my money on a JL W3 OR ANY Alpine sub when the TC-2000 exists for $275 and the TC-1000 exists for $170
Don't leave Soundsplinter out of the running. They are sourced from TC Sounds and Mike has some great customer service. Other subs I have used or would used based on reputation:
Fi Car Audio - Scott Atwell has designed and built some awsome subs when he was at Destijl Engineering/Resonant Engineering. His new company is offerering some great subs with a lot of custom features.
Ascendant Audio - Scott's build house is now partnered with AA. I have some older AA Atlas subs that use Adire Audio's XBL^2 low distortion motors. GREAT sound quality.
ED - The owner, Ben, is a member here and is offering custom built enclosures designed for different Lexus models. The subs are built in Iowa at the by ED employees. Plus they have other great products like components and amps.
CSS - The SD12 is getting some good reviews.
Dayton Audio - The RS series have received great reviews for the sound quality in both cars and home theaters. Their Titanic line has been around for years and it a proven low bass monster. The DVC line was introduced years ago as an answer to Adire Audio's Shiva. They are a great value and even better when you can catch them on sale for under $100. The RS and Classic lines of smaller mid-basses and tweeters can be combined to make some great DIY components. PE is currently offering free shipping.
[URL=http://www.acoustic-visions.com] - Kyle sells a lot of brands listed above and a few others. Besides great prices and one-stop shopping, he has some great customer service.

I would tell you to just buy whatever Robert J. buys, cuz that guy knows his schizznit---
That makes me laugh.

-Robert
Old 05-04-07, 12:38 AM
infa_red
Driver

so u guys r saying not to go with the type r or jls
Old 05-04-07, 06:17 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by infa_red
so u guys r saying not to go with the type r or jls
We are saying that there are much better subs out there than the Alpine. JL makes a great product but prices it at a premium. If you want to spend the money, then that's great. The other companies listed all make very high quality products and sell them at a resonable price. I like a good price to performance ratio.

Also, if you PM me your address I can send you a keyboard with working shift and punctuation keys.

-Robert
Old 05-04-07, 08:13 AM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

hey robert i need one too man thanks dude later bro