Sponsored by:

Keyless entry question

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-01, 01:30 AM
supercoupes
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keyless entry question

On my '93 SC4 the keyless entry doesn't work very well, i.e. sometimes I have to try several times to get the doors open / closed. Might just be the battery in the key, have to check.

Anyway, on my car, it's very hard to tell if the doors opened / closed because it doesn't give any visual or audible clues like flashing the lights or beeping or something.

How hard would it be to make the lights flash when the doors locks close / open?

Thanks ...
Old 08-02-01, 04:57 AM
Whitmanpc1
Driver

Unhappy on it's way out

Your experience is consistent with mine. Sometimes the lock would almost open but not fully.

After a couple of months of erratic behavior, it now does not work. It's not the battery, and I had the Lexus dealer diagnose it. They told me that the whole system has to be replaced!

They quoted me $500 to fix it.

Knowing that Lexus loves to replace rather than fix, does anyone know if this can be FIXED? I find it hard to believe the whole thing needs replacing.
Old 08-02-01, 06:34 AM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine doesn't work at all.
Security system doesn't work either...
I'm thinking to install new after market security system, like viper(?). prolly after installation, I think I can use its keyless entry...does anyone have any idea how much cost to install security system?

I have 93 sc400, do you guys have key chain with Panic, lock, unlock and Truck open(keyless)? I'm just curious because when I got this car, previous owner didn't give it to me..
Old 08-02-01, 10:12 AM
supercoupes
Lead Lap

I don't think I have a problem with the entire system. Most probably just the battery in the key.

What I'm really looking for is a way that the car somehow indicates that the locks closed / opened by flashing lights or so ...
Old 08-02-01, 02:04 PM
hoops_24
Pole Position

Sounds like all of you need to purchase an after market system which gives you all of the features you need. I have a Viper 600 which provides keyless entry, flashing light confirmation, starter kill, and closes my power windows when the alarm is armed. (That's a cool feature)
I highly recommend the alarm. With all featured listed it will set you back $400 installed.
Old 08-03-01, 03:25 AM
BlackSC300
Driver School Candidate

Default mine is dead too

i am having the same problem as well...my stock keyless entry wont work anymore on my 93 sc300. i tried replacing the battery on both keys and it didnt work. so basically my keyless entry is dead and i might go with a aftermarket alarm unless i find another solution.
Old 08-03-01, 04:27 AM
Whitmanpc1
Driver

Unhappy Lexus fit n' finish

I'm a big fan of "stock" and the key I have for my 93 SC is very convenient. I love the button being on the key. I understand they changed it. Why? I don't like having all sorts of things on my keyring!

Anyway, I wish someone knew how to FIX it. I bet it can be fixed! Lexus is not much into "fixing" things; they like to "replace" things.

Oh well...if anyone has any advise on how to fix this system (they do break, per our experience and per a Lexus service technician) I would appreciate it. I don't want another fob hanging from my keychain!
Old 08-03-01, 07:39 AM
relapse
Rookie

i was having the same problem with my sc a few weeks ago.. all i did was open up the key and 'jiggled' the battery around... there was some debris i had to remove that built up during the years i guess....

i put the battery back in and closed it up... voila! it works fine now.
Old 08-08-01, 12:50 PM
BlackSC300
Driver School Candidate

Default aftermarket alarm

if i go with an aftermarket alarm system will i lose the features of my stock system? the stock alarm has an interior motion decector and will lock the doors repeatedly if someone tries to open the doors when the alarm goes off...this is a feature i dont want to lose.
Old 08-08-01, 02:50 PM
captclam
Rookie

Default Interior Motion sensor??

What year was that? My 1993 doesn't have it...
Old 08-08-01, 10:51 PM
BlackSC300
Driver School Candidate

wow really? mine is a 93 as well. a way to find out on yours is leave the windows down and set the alarm. then put your hand in the car through the open window and see if the alarm will go off. if it does then try to unlock the car doors and open them to see if it will lock itself repeatedly
Old 08-09-01, 01:10 AM
YuuDawg
Driver

whoa i never knew that
i have a '96 does that mean i have it?
Old 08-10-01, 02:29 PM
933005spd
Lead Lap

Default procedure

The troubleshooting process is described in detail in Volume 2 of the service manual. The defog antennea system is a key culprit.
Old 10-09-01, 10:09 PM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

I'm planning to upgrade my Keyless entry system.
well I did change the battery and still didn't work so I assume its remote receiver, or chip needs to be replaced. Cold Winter is comming soon
and I dont wanna be struggle opening the door with
my key.
and here is my question.
1. Is there such After market Keyless entry system that works for sc400/300? is it any good compare to stock one.
2. how much does stock remote receiver/chip cost
if I get from the dealer?
3. For 93 sc400, is there Keyless Trunk opener
with stock key?(like 92 LS400..etc..) 'cause mine has only keyless entry botton on my key.
just wondering..
4. If i get device for either after market/stock,
is it easy to install myself?

If you have any information, let me know.
thank you
Old 10-11-01, 07:42 AM
BimmerLexus
Rookie

Default Keyless entry

In 1996, the US spec SC's switched to a key fob remote like the 95 LS400...it included trunk and panic along with lock and unlock.

Can we swicth out the keyless enty modual from our early SC's with one from a 96 on?

Joe

Quick Reply: Keyless entry question