Sponsored by:

Auxillary Audio Inputs/ DVD playback to Nav System Now Doable

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-05, 12:02 AM
preiner
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Auxillary Audio Inputs/ DVD playback to Nav System Now Doable

I have seen many questions asking about the possibility of getting auxillary audio feeds and/or DVD playback and/or satellite radio and/or iPod support in to the navigation system for the RX300.

I can tell you that yes all of the features are available for the RX300 and several other models too. You can email me for more info if you wish. I am considering actually doing the installs for people in the Seattle area because there seems to be so much demand.

The unit comes in various flavors

Basically you can get either:

2 audio inputs

1 audio input + iPod

1 audio input + XM

1 audio input + DVD

There are other combinations available and the exact solution varies based on model and year.

I am impressed that the unit actually CONTROLS the iPod through the NAV touch screen . Thats a way cool feature that eliminates the need to fiddle with the iPod while driving.

Also, The DVD playback on the NAV screen works well, except you quickly realize you would like the screen in the back of the headrests instead. So im in favor of putting a DVD player in the headrest(s). But it does work.

Cost is from around 300-600 US with 2-3 week delivery.

It comes with all needed cables but you have to spend a couple hours installing it.

The best advice I can give you is that you have to pry up the wood trim around the radio and shift lever. It basically forms a big U shape. This piece is easy to screw up. To remove it, you have to PRY it away from the dash (it uses clip springs)..

The magic is to NOT use a screwdriver. This will destroy the wood.

Use a WIDE thin object. This reduces the force on the piece. I used a household butter knife. Its not sharp and fairly wide. I inserted it in sideways to get as much of the blade working as possible.

Twist a bit, and them move the knife. Dont expect the piece to just pop out with one push.

You can also use a piece of scrap wood or plastic.

If you use a screwdriver, you will hate yourself.

The install is very easy.
Old 10-17-05, 04:42 PM
Leeladisky
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by preiner
I have seen many questions asking about the possibility of getting auxillary audio feeds and/or DVD playback and/or satellite radio and/or iPod support in to the navigation system for the RX300.

I can tell you that yes all of the features are available for the RX300 and several other models too. You can email me for more info if you wish. I am considering actually doing the installs for people in the Seattle area because there seems to be so much demand.

The unit comes in various flavors

Basically you can get either:

2 audio inputs

1 audio input + iPod

1 audio input + XM

1 audio input + DVD

There are other combinations available and the exact solution varies based on model and year.

I am impressed that the unit actually CONTROLS the iPod through the NAV touch screen . Thats a way cool feature that eliminates the need to fiddle with the iPod while driving.

Also, The DVD playback on the NAV screen works well, except you quickly realize you would like the screen in the back of the headrests instead. So im in favor of putting a DVD player in the headrest(s). But it does work.

Cost is from around 300-600 US with 2-3 week delivery.

It comes with all needed cables but you have to spend a couple hours installing it.

The best advice I can give you is that you have to pry up the wood trim around the radio and shift lever. It basically forms a big U shape. This piece is easy to screw up. To remove it, you have to PRY it away from the dash (it uses clip springs)..

The magic is to NOT use a screwdriver. This will destroy the wood.

Use a WIDE thin object. This reduces the force on the piece. I used a household butter knife. Its not sharp and fairly wide. I inserted it in sideways to get as much of the blade working as possible.

Twist a bit, and them move the knife. Dont expect the piece to just pop out with one push.

You can also use a piece of scrap wood or plastic.

If you use a screwdriver, you will hate yourself.

The install is very easy.
Where do you get this device??? I have an '01 LS-430 with NAV and would love to have IPOD and an audio input for a handsfree Bluetooth kit!!!!
Old 10-17-05, 10:37 PM
Tranman

VAIStech unit...I'm not too impressed with the video quality...on par with the AVelectronics/NavTV unit, but the VAIStech unit is alot easier to install and much better build quality.
Old 10-16-06, 04:50 PM
RX300Scott
Driver School Candidate

Preiner: Interesting post. I've sent you a private message. I'd appreciate more information.

Thanks!

Scott