The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
http://www.hotkey.net.au/~cheets/soa...im_problem.htm
Old 11-10-01, 02:06 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am making a similar howto with LS series lexus right now. I am taking a bit different approach with installing aftermarket speakers, so expect it at the end of this week.
Old 11-11-01, 12:30 PM
CSHFLW
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Polk EX series is NOT a very good speaker....even the Db series or MOMO series is not that great...I mean come on ..... they cost $99!
Old 11-19-01, 10:47 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

I disagree with that Polk quote.. IMO the speakers sound great for the money and sound better than some so-called high dollar units. For the quality and price if you are looking to upgrade your system I think they are a nice choice. However I'm not a guru.
Old 11-19-01, 04:52 PM
CSHFLW
Lexus Test Driver

If you drive a lexus buy something better then polk EX speakers....
Old 11-20-01, 10:08 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

If I'm happy with the purchase and sound I'll buy Jensen speakers. A Lexus does not require $5K speakers only the speakers for the expectations of the owner. Not anyone on the internet or anyplace else.

Is you are an audiophile then so be it, if not get a clear sounding speaker that sounds great to you... My sister has a GS4 with the premium sound Nak and could care less if she had Kraco speakers in the car... Now when it comes to her home she'll easily spend $10K to remodel her kitchen and she did:eek:! It soley depends on your priorities and desires. Also your budget...
Old 11-20-01, 11:32 AM
CSHFLW
Lexus Test Driver

But jensen speakers are not worth buying and and polk are a low end speaker in the EX form.....you drive a high end car, and if you want better sound then buy something that does have better sound, like MB Quartz or diamond audio....the differences are VERY noticable....if you are going to do IT, do IT right!
Old 11-20-01, 12:24 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by CSHFLW
But jensen speakers are not worth buying and and polk are a low end speaker in the EX form.....you drive a high end car, and if you want better sound then buy something that does have better sound, like MB Quartz or diamond audio....the differences are VERY noticable....if you are going to do IT, do IT right!
I was only kidding about the Jensen speakers but it was the principal. The differences are only noticeable to person looking for it and with the stock headunit and a blown speaker go with an economical replacement solution. IMHO

Now if you are looking for an entire upgrade then that is another situation.JMO Why spend $250 -300 bucks on a pair of speakers on a stock system? I can buy a pair of shoes or a pair of pants(I prefer clothing) with that money...

I like to monitor my "cash flow"...
Old 11-20-01, 12:47 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

high price speaker does not mean that it sound good, did you ever go buy a pair of speakers w/o listening to them, just buy it because of the brand? ie buying speakers for your home entertainment? if you do, then you are wasting your money.

with the small space inside the car, most speakers with enouf power would sound good, like listen to a headphone, you can;t get any better than that.

are there many factors involve when in comes to quality sound, the room/car interior is one of the factor.
i am not saying high dollar speakers are not good, but if Jensen speakers sound good in your car, then get them.

I have use MB quart, IDQ, Infinity Kappa (perfect series) and Polk, so far I would rank MB quart behind Polk.

MB quart gets more attention because they spend more money sponsor many even, then in turn charge higher prices.
Old 11-20-01, 01:30 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Subjective Thread

I think it comes down to what YOUR priorities R, much like the wheel threads we've seen. If the speaker sounds OK to you, then that's all that matters since you're paying the bill. I agree that name recognition does have a great deal of bearing in competition but if U're not competing, then a Sparkomatic ( do they still make those? ) system that pleases your ears is the #1 priority. If money were no object, then I'm sure we'd all be running DynAudio, Focal or ID components powered by McIntosh amps ( BIG plug for Percy here!! ). I chose to cut back on my wheel budget to afford the Focals so instead of getting the HRE 547's I wanted, I settled for Zenetti Vegas in a chrome finish. I'll be the first to admit that they are NO WHERE near the quality of the HRE's but they're round & roll true so I'm happy. Your hearing & taste in music has a bearing as well. If U've lost some hearing ( especially in the higher frequencies ), then MBQ would be a great choice for U but for me, they're too bright. Anh's right about exposure - how many ads for Focal, Dyn or Image Dynamics do ya see in the mags? Every other page is crammed with MBQ, RF, Kicker, et al & yes, I know that I run RF. I just think it should come down to the member's giving advice based on experience but the final decision is left up to the owner. That's my .02!!
Old 11-20-01, 09:31 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Post Banana, Gene words of wisdom

Old 11-20-01, 11:40 PM
CSHFLW
Lexus Test Driver

No, I don't agree one bit....If you have an ear for music then POLKS are not the way to go....hell, I had a set of polk DB's that I felt embarresed to put in the rear deck lid of my CIVIC! (and I hate rear fill, but I felt it was better then having them sit in my garage for any longer)Polks can not reproduce the same sound as a better made speaker can. For one look at the cross over!!! It's terrible....and if you have a problem with MB Quartz being too tinty (which if you want to talk about name brand's and hype, I have heard this statement sooo much from people who have no idea what they are talking about), Then buy a SILK Dome tweeter and not aluminum. Your right the stock CD system sucks, but alleast try to start somewhere with a nice set up and not polk ex co-axels?!!??!