LC Model (2018-present)

Finally A Low Dust, High Perf Pad For The LC500

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-19, 06:52 AM
DWR46
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Finally A Low Dust, High Perf Pad For The LC500

Over the last few months we have been working with Warren at RB Performance Brakes in California (www.racingbrake.com) (714-871-6392) to develop a LOW DUST high performance street pad for the LC500. I am pleased to report they now are available. This pad uses their XT910 material that has worked so well with various Mercedes-Benz and BMW street applications. The pads are currently available for the front of the LC500, as the factory pads on the front create far more dust than the rear pads. Oh, by the way, the price was very reasonable.

These are designed to be a perfect fit to replace the factory pads. We have now used them for a few hundred miles and are thrilled. The new pads provide great stopping power, very little dust and NO noise.

Changing pads was easy. Two bolts to release the caliper from the front hub assembly, and we used some wooden blocks to support the caliper so it would not hang free and put a strain on the brake line. The pads are removed from the “inside” and just lift out. The RB pads are designed to not use the two “shims” found on the factory pads. This gives a better pedal feel. We coated the backplates of the new pads with a light skim of brake grease to insure quiet operation, and they easily slipped into place. The RB pads actually have greater contact area with the rotor than the factory pads and this should help in high performance driving. Carefully slide the caliper back over the rotor. Depending upon how many miles are on the old pads, you may need to carefully push the pistons back into the caliper to make room for the new pads to slip over the rotor. This can be kind of “fussy” but it is not difficult. Install the new pads in the caliper and carefully pry them apart to push the pistons back into the caliper.

On the passenger side, carefully remove the Pad Wear Sensor before you remove the caliper. The RB pads have the attachment point machined into the backplates. After the new pads are installed and the caliper is on the car, you can carefully clip the Sensor back to the new pad.

RB has a specific “break-in” procedure for the pads. FOLLOW IT. Then you will finally have great, low dust brakes for the LC500.

Hopefully, as more pads are sold to LC500 owners, RB performance will be willing to fund the process of producing the rear pads for the car. This would be the final item needed to address, what is in my opinion, the greatest weakness of these cars.

Just to be clear, I have no relationship with RB Performance Brake other than being a customer. When I approached them about front pads for the LC500, they were in the process of developing the pads, but did not have a “real” customer to use to try out the pads. Warren was great to work with; they are responsive and real “stand up” people. They are a fine company to do business with.

The following users liked this post:
DRGibbons (06-28-19)
Old 06-28-19, 01:30 PM
ttantioch
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I find that Tom's racing has an alternative one, Endless has an alternative one. Did anyone try?
https://www.topendmotorsports.com/le...ng/brake-pads/
Old 06-28-19, 03:44 PM
DWR46
Driver School Candidate

Ttantioch: I found RB performance very good to work with, and the pricing and service was the best. They also have a proven track record in the industry and are an American company.
Old 06-28-19, 06:10 PM
ttantioch
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks, I will take a look
Old 07-02-19, 09:23 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

What’s their cost for the pads and what’s the expected wear warranty?
Old 07-02-19, 11:08 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

^^^^It's really hard, IMHO, to put a figure on wear on a brake pad. We all drive differently. Some folks ride the brakes, other use the engine to brake. Some stab the brakes to stop, other gently pump. And many other scenarios.

Lou
Old 07-03-19, 05:22 AM
DWR46
Driver School Candidate

Ikon: I think pricing is on their website, or contact RB Performance directly.
Old 07-08-19, 10:47 PM
Zeitaku
Pole Position

Received 108 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by ttantioch
I find that Tom's racing has an alternative one, Endless has an alternative one. Did anyone try?
https://www.topendmotorsports.com/le...ng/brake-pads/
Yep! I have had the Tom's Performer pads for over 6 months now coudln't be happier. No Dust, No squeals and stopping performance better than stock.
The following users liked this post:
SuperGT (07-09-19)