IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Low dust pads

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-16, 01:29 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Low dust pads

Does anyone know if Lexus fully converted to the low dust pads or are there two different part numbers for front brake pads? I supposedly had the OEM low dust pads installed with aftermarket rotors by my mechanic and the brake dust is horrendous. Im trying to figure out who screwed up here. Thanks
Old 09-10-16, 02:15 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 589 Likes on 398 Posts

What year is your car? 2006-2008 USA models all had the high-friction (high-dust) pads. 2009-2013 Lexus switched to the low-dust pads for USA models (Canada continued using the high-friction pads).

Do you have the part number for the pads that were installed? That's the best way to know which you have/got. Both types of pads are still available and still used on new cars from the factory.

Jeff
Old 09-11-16, 06:43 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
What year is your car? 2006-2008 USA models all had the high-friction (high-dust) pads. 2009-2013 Lexus switched to the low-dust pads for USA models (Canada continued using the high-friction pads).

Do you have the part number for the pads that were installed? That's the best way to know which you have/got. Both types of pads are still available and still used on new cars from the factory.

Jeff
Its a 2007. I called Lexus parts to confirm the part number my mechanic gave to me 04465-53040 and specifically asked the guy if these were the low dust pads. But after looking at the TSB it looks like its 53030. Does that seem right? So there are two different part numbers for pads. I don't understand what they just didn't covert the old part number to the new one with low dust one they released the TSB. Now I have **** pads on my car and I'm calling back the parts guy to bust his *****.
Old 09-11-16, 12:05 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Some people want the high friction pads. I ordered them from Lexus and they sent me the low dust pads instead. I returned them and had them send me the high friction pads.

There is more to the issue than just the amount of dust. I prefer the brake feel of the high friction pads, I've also found them to have a higher tolerance to brake fade as well.

Jeff
Old 09-11-16, 05:07 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Some people want the high friction pads. I ordered them from Lexus and they sent me the low dust pads instead. I returned them and had them send me the high friction pads.

There is more to the issue than just the amount of dust. I prefer the brake feel of the high friction pads, I've also found them to have a higher tolerance to brake fade as well.

Jeff
I do too, but the TSB was a free brake pad job so I am living with the lower dust pads.
Old 09-13-16, 09:55 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Jeff
But dont your wheels look like hell after 3 days of driving? Anyway I called corporate to complain. Even though a Lexus dealer did not installed them I think they might install the low dust pads for free. Im waiting on a call back.
Old 09-13-16, 10:04 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 257 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by flektone
But dont your wheels look like hell after 3 days of driving? Anyway I called corporate to complain. Even though a Lexus dealer did not installed them I think they might install the low dust pads for free. Im waiting on a call back.
If you asked a Lexus dealer to install the low dust pads, and they installed the high friction ones by mistake, I would agree that they should make it right at no cost to you. But it sounds from you description that your independent mechanic made the mistake by ordering the wrong pads. How was this Lexus' fault? Why wouldn't you insist that your mechanic obtain and install the pads you requested?
Old 09-13-16, 10:28 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bichon
If you asked a Lexus dealer to install the low dust pads, and they installed the high friction ones by mistake, I would agree that they should make it right at no cost to you. But it sounds from you description that your independent mechanic made the mistake by ordering the wrong pads. How was this Lexus' fault? Why wouldn't you insist that your mechanic obtain and install the pads you requested?
No. I called Lexus parts to confirm the part number and specifically asked if the number given to me was the low dust. I then told my mechanic to order them. The idiot did not look further into providing me the part number I asked for. On top of that in my line of work when there is a manufacturer defect and a TSB with a part number change. From that point on only the updated part number is available and used. You dont continue to use and install parts that have a known issue.
Old 09-13-16, 12:15 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 257 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by flektone
On top of that in my line of work when there is a manufacturer defect and a TSB with a part number change. From that point on only the updated part number is available and used. You dont continue to use and install parts that have a known issue.
You are misrepresenting the contents of the TSIB. There wasn't a manufacturing defect, nor did the low-dust pads replace the high friction ones. Here is the description, right from TSIB BR002-06 :

Some Lexus vehicles are equipped with high-friction front brake pads, specifically designed for superior braking performance and response. As a result, under certain conditions, it is possible for the customer to experience a larger volume of brake dust on the wheels. For customers who find these characteristics objectionable, an alternative brake pad material has been developed. As with any change made to brake pad material, braking performance and feeling may be altered and could possibly be reduced under certain driving conditions as a result of their usage. These alternative front brake pads have now been made available as service parts.
Sounds like the guy in the parts department who gave you the wrong number is at fault.
Old 09-13-16, 12:18 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

That statement from the start of the TSB really does say it all. They were not released to fix a problem, they were released as an alternate part for people who found the high dust objectionable. Yes, my wheels get dirty every few days, yes I am okay with that.

Jeff
Old 09-13-16, 12:23 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bichon
You are misrepresenting the contents of the TSIB. There wasn't a manufacturing defect, nor did the low-dust pads replace the high friction ones. Here is the description, right from TSIB BR002-06 :

Sounds like the guy in the parts department who gave you the wrong number is at fault.
Hey Lexus can spin it and write up any mumbo jumbo they want. Manufacturers have been making brake pads for 30 years. The dust on these is clearly excessive after 3 days of driving. Im very **** and particular about my car. Thats why at almost 10 years old it looks new.
Old 09-13-16, 12:37 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Sounds like you are the person they were talking about then, it also sounds like you did your best to try and make sure you got the low dust pads but didn't. It was either the mechanic's fault (if he didn't ask for the right pads) or the dealership employees fault (if he didn't give the mechanic what he asked for). If you are looking for some assistance they will be who you need to talk to.

With regards to the pad material itself, it's Textar's T4146 and it is used in many European cars (mainly by BMW), but there are a few Lexus models that use it (the LS460, GS350 and ISx50). They stopped coming with it by default in the ISx50 for USA models only after 2008, however other counties continued to use the Textar pads. When the 3IS came out, they switched to using the T4146 only in the F-Sport models and the rest get the lower dust "regular" Lexus pads. Lexus never replaced the high friction pads with the low dust version, they just offered them as an alternate option for people like you who don't care for the dust.

Any higher performance brake pad will almost always have a higher dust level. It's just the way it goes.

Like I say, your best bet would be to speak to the people involved, they're the ones who will be able to help you.

Jeff
Old 09-17-16, 07:23 AM
Lex Law
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My local Lexus service dept. replaced my high friction pads with low dust pads at no charge when my car was new and I presented the TSB. It really bugged me how skanky the wheels were looking right after cleaning, and I worried that I'd have to wash my car every few days! I had to use the manual hose to spray them before going through the touchless car wash. The low friction pads made all the difference. I don't brake hard while driving so their performance is fine for me. In parking lots it's easy to tell which cars have high friction pads.